Windows 10: my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video

Discus and support my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i dont know why this is happening but this is happening to me from the recent update on windows, ive checked the internet everywhere and i cant find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Criszer, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Criszer Win User

my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video

i dont know why this is happening but this is happening to me from the recent update on windows, ive checked the internet everywhere and i cant find answers to my issue, my wifi just disconnects out of nowhere when i go a game or watch netflix

:)

Criszer, Oct 23, 2021
  2. Berton Win User

Cant watch video while gaming

Just an observation: playing games takes a considerable amount of the computer's resources just as watching videos can use quite a bit of memory. If the games and videos are using the Internet then the bandwidth needed is great and may be limited by the ISP one is signed up with. Frame dropping is an indication that bandwidth is an issue, always limited to some extent due to the Internet speed.

In such a situation of wanting both visible at the same time it may be best to set up a system that can use 2 monitors, one for each purpose [games on one, videos on the other].

Berton, Oct 23, 2021
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Can't watch videos on Win 10

Hi,

Please assist me with the following information related to this issue:

• Which web browser are you using to watch online videos?
    • Do you receive any error message?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    If you are using Internet Explorer to watch online videos, I suggest you to
    follow the steps mentioned in the following link and check:Why won't videos play in Internet Explorer?

Note: The above mentioned article contains steps to reset IE. Resetting Internet Explorer's settings is not reversible. After a reset, all previous settings in IE are lost and cannot
    be recovered.

Please reply us with the required information along with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Oct 23, 2021
  4. kirillkh Win User

FPS drops when playing video in background

I am trying to understand why I experience FPS drops in demanding games when a video is playing in background and how to fix it. My particular setup (see the specs at the bottom): two monitors in extended desktop mode, the primary monitor connected via DisplayPort to an AMD R9 390 video card, the other via DVI alternatively to the on-die Intel HD 4600 graphics output or to the R9 390's DVI output.

I will demonstrate the problem with Witcher 3 game, but the same problem occurs with at least one other game that I tried - World of Tanks (which is where the issue actually matters, as sometimes I put on music from YouTube while in game). In all the experiments below I run Witcher 3 on my primary monitor in windowed full-screen mode and measure the FPS in it with FRAPS. To guarantee stable FPS, I put the game on pause (by pressing ESC). I also set affinity of the Witcher 3 process to the first 3 cores and set the affinity of other applications to the 4th core. The CPU load has remained stable on cores 1-3 throughout the tests at 45-50%.

Baseline test when the game is not running: CPU load is at ~0% on cores 1-3 and ~5% on core 4.
    Baseline test when the game is running, but no video being played in parallel: stable 58 FPS, CPU load: ~10% on core 4.

First batch of tests: the secondary monitor is connected to the R9 390.

1. 1080p YouTube HTML5 video running on the secondary monitor (in
      Chrome or Firefox): ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    2. The same YouTube video running on the primary monitor on top of the game:
      same results as in (1).
    3. SMPlayer playing a 1024x426 AVC video on the
      secondary monitor: ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~25% on core 4.

Second batch of tests: the secondary monitor is connected to HD 4600.

1. 1080p YouTube HTML5 video running on the secondary monitor (in Chrome or Firefox): ~44 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    2. The same YouTube video running on the primary monitor on top of the game: ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    3. SMPlayer playing a 1024x426 AVC video on the secondary monitor: ~50 FPS, CPU load: ~25% on core 4.

Now, one thing I noticed is that performance varies depending on whether the game window is focused or not. The benchmarks above are given for the case when the game window is focused. If the game window is focused, I see clear choppiness in video playback (both in YouTube and in SMPlayer). If another window is focused, video playback is smooth, but game FPS drops more.

My specs: Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4690K, Gigabyte Z97-D3H, 8Gb RAM, R9 390 video card. The primary monitor (connected to R9 390) runs at 1920x1200, the secondary at 1600x1200.

EDIT: I took a music-only YouTube and tried to play it in various resolutions from 240p to 1080p. The FPS dropped gradually from 58 to 48 FPS as I increased the resolution.

kirillkh, Oct 23, 2021
Thema:

1. my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video - Similar Threads - internet keeps dropping

2. My keyboard keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games. Only on game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games. Only on game: My keyboard keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games. Only on game https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keyboard-keeps-disconnecting-whenever-i-play/884057e7-2fd0-4421-be82-53931d8c8432
  3. My keyboard keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games. Only on game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games. Only on game: My keyboard keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games. Only on game https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keyboard-keeps-disconnecting-whenever-i-play/884057e7-2fd0-4421-be82-53931d8c8432
  4. My mouse keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My mouse keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games: So there is an issue i have whenever I use my mouse when playing video games like Apex Legends, Counter Strike Global Offensive etc. my mouse keeps constantly disconnecting. In one match that can happen over 10 times. It makes a windows disconnect sound and instantly...
  5. My mouse keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My mouse keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games: So there is an issue i have whenever I use my mouse when playing video games like Apex Legends, Counter Strike Global Offensive etc. my mouse keeps constantly disconnecting. In one match that can happen over 10 times. It makes a windows disconnect sound and instantly...
  6. My mouse keeps disconnecting whenever I play video games

7. [BSOD] DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION whenever I play a video game.

[BSOD] DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION whenever I play a video game.: High polygon 3D games, 2D pixel sprites, doesn't matter. I get blue screened nearly every time 15-30 minutes after booting the game up. I need to know how to fix this. It's been happening for months. https://www.mediafire.com/file/hlg7d08qvxxq1ga/minidumps.zip/fileThere's the...
  8. my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video: i dont know why this is happening but this is happening to me from the recent update on windows, ive checked the internet everywhere and i cant find answers to my issue, my wifi just disconnects out of nowhere when i go a game or watch netflix...
  9. my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video

my internet keeps on dropping whenever i play a game or watch a video: i dont know why this is happening but this is happening to me from the recent update on windows, ive checked the internet everywhere and i cant find answers to my issue, my wifi just disconnects out of nowhere when i go a game or watch netflix...
  10. BSOD while playing games, browsing internet, watching videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while playing games, browsing internet, watching videos: Hello and thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me. For the past month or so I've been getting more and more BSODs with different error messages each time. They mainly occur when I'm playing games (Starcraft 2, Battlefield 1, Infinite Warfare), browsing the...