Windows 10: My keyboard has stopped working

Discus and support My keyboard has stopped working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My keyboard has stopped working in most applications. It doesn’t work for emails or the internet. I cannot write comments directly into this query, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ColinWhitfield, Sep 3, 2019.

1. My keyboard has stopped working

My keyboard has stopped working in most applications. It doesn’t work for emails or the internet. I cannot write comments directly into this query, I have to write them into a Word document then copy&paste across.

The problem appeared to start after what seemed to be a failed upgrade. As I closed the system down, there was a message saying that the system was updating and not to turn the computer off. So I let it get on with it overnight. In the morning, it had restarted but the keyboard wasn’t working.

I’ve tried restarting and have looked around settings to find some sort of switch or action but can not find any.

This has happened once before and after several days, it sorted itself out, or I found the right setting by mistake.

I’ve tried chatting to the technical guys but they either cannot understand, or it doesn’t fit into their approved questions/answers, or there are other difficulties.

I am on a hard keyboard on a Laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15 7000.

:)

ColinWhitfield, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

keyboard stopped working

Hi Zunair,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

1. What update are you referring to?

I suggest you to pug in external keyboard and check if it works.

Let’s troubleshoot the issue by referring to these methods and check the issue status:

Method 1:

Refer to the link to run the troubleshooter:

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Hardware and Devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Devices.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and Devices.

Method 2:

Let’s try updating the driver for the mouse and keyboard and verify the results. Follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Device Manager.

b) Locate the Key board device icon. Right click on the driver icon.

c) Select Update driver software.

c) Select "browse my computer for a driver software".

d) Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

e) Select the driver option according your device model and installed.

f) If this does not work, follow the steps from ‘a’ to ‘c’ and select “Search automatically for the updated driver”.

g) Choose the same steps to update the driver for keyboard as well.

Check if it resolves the issue. If not, I would suggest you to download and install the latest available drivers for the keyboard from manufacturer website of the laptop. If the issue still persists, install the driver in Windows Compatibility mode and check
    if that helps.

Method 3: Compatibility mode

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to

help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Keyboard stop working

Hi Juan,

There several reasons which can cause the keyboard to stop working, one is due to a possible driver issue. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Which Windows build version is running on your device? Type
      winver in the search box and press Enter to help you identify.
    • Have you made any changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • Are there keys on your keyboard that are not working/malfunctioning? If not, is it not working at all?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Sep 3, 2019
  4. vmishka Win User

My keyboard has stopped working

Keyboard stopped working under Windows 10

I have an iMac dual booting Mac OSX and Windows 10 under Bootcamp. I have the normal iMac wireless keyboard.

Windows has been running normally for several years since the day I got the computer. Windows 10 has been running normally since the day I was able to automatically download it in August.

Today, my keyboard stopped working under Windows 10. I am writing this from the Mac side. The keyboard works perfectly and the battery power is 100% under Mac OSX.

When I boot to my Windows partition (which is the default) I have to use the keyboard to sign-in under Windows. The keyboard works fine for sign-in! Then, as soon as I get to my desktop, the keyboard stops working entirely. No key produces a letter. The cursor doesn't move. I hear a click in my headset when a key is pressed, but nothing happens.

The mouse works. If I reach the hardware and devices portion of the control panel, as far as I can tell things the keyboard device says it is working properly. I remember a wireless keyboard listed and a bluetooth keyboard and something called an HID device. Windows reports that they are working properly. I managed to open the troubleshooter using the mouse only and it couldn't find a problem.

I have turned the computer off and on several times.

Would someone be so kind as to suggest how I can find and fix the problem.

Thank you.

vmishka, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

My keyboard has stopped working

1. My keyboard has stopped working - Similar Threads - keyboard has stopped

2. Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly: My Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly in my "17 HP laptop. The PC is not that old. It has been working fine until about a week ago. Can someone please help. my email is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Thanks Sincerely Eddie...
  3. Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly: My Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly in my "17 HP laptop. The PC is not that old. It has been working fine until about a week ago. Can someone please help. my email is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Thanks Sincerely Eddie...
  4. Right hand side of my keyboard has stopped working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The s on my keyboard stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The s on my keyboard stopped working: alright, I am typing on tablet mode, but anyways, the s letter on my keyboard stopped working, it was fine for the whole day, but when I got on a game, the letter stopped working any help? Struggling right now. submitted by /u/HoneySick [link] [comments]...
  6. The receiver for my Microsoft keyboard has stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The receiver for my Microsoft keyboard has stopped working: The receiver is not being recognised by any of my PCs. At the moment I cannot connect the Sculpt Comfort keyboard and mouse. All web posts suggest I need to buy a new set. I cannot believe it's true that Microsoft would have policies that are so non-environmental as to...
  7. External keyboard has stopped working

External keyboard has stopped working: I have an external keyboard and mouse 850 that were purchased at the same time. Both have worked without any problems until today when the keyboard has stopped working. I have tried replacing the batteries but the keyboard is still failing to work. The mouse is working...
  8. The keyboard backlight on my new ASUS has stopped working!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    The keyboard backlight on my new ASUS has stopped working!!: UGH!!! I spilled water (mostly on myself but...) some got on the keyboard that has a rubber cover on it. I've dried it off, restarted the laptop, but the back light is not on! It's one of the main reasons I chose this thing. :( It took me 7 months to save for it!! I've...
  9. Windows update: Keyboard has stopped working

Windows update: Keyboard has stopped working: Hey guys, I updated my laptop last night so I could get the new xbox app. This morning when all was complete, I noticed my keyboard stopped working (Apart from the power button and the ROG gaming button. The keyboard works fine in the bios, so I know it works, but as soon...
  10. Keyboard has stopped worklng

Keyboard has stopped worklng: As this is machine specific I fear help will not be forthcoming here but will give it a try. My detachable keyboard and trackpad have stopped working. So have its two USB ports. It is as if it is no longer connected via its Pogo magnetic connector. It is a Cube iWork 10.1...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix laptop keyboard key NOT WORKING