Windows 10: My keyboard writes different characters

Discus and support My keyboard writes different characters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! good day everoyne I have a laptop to which i cleaned the keyboard, since it had a lot of dust accumulated and stuck. After that, i turned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by VaneBarboza, Aug 12, 2019.

1. My keyboard writes different characters

Hello!

good day everoyne

I have a laptop to which i cleaned the keyboard, since it had a lot of dust accumulated and stuck.

After that, i turned on the computer and te OS did not enter, which was resolved with a startup repair.

After repair, i start the computer, however the keyboard does not work.

now, when i writing, other characters are written. For Example, if the "A" key is pressed, the characters around which it is pressed appear (Caps Lock is activated, the letter"q", the letter "z" and the "1" key).

i need help!.

thanks!

:)

VaneBarboza, Aug 12, 2019

2. Character Map

Hi Susan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Does this issue occur on Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or any other browser?
    3. Once the text disappears, are you able to undo that by press the 'Ctrl' key and the 'Z' key from your keyboard?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Check if your Windows is Up-to-date.

Go to Settings > Update and Security >
    Windows Updates and install all the Windows Updates if there are any.

Method 2: Use a different browser

Use a different browser to access Gmail and see if you are facing the same issue.

Method 3: Adding the characters manually from Character Map.

Step 1: Click on the
    Start Menu and search for Character Map and hit
    Enter.

Step 2: Once the
    Character Map launches, look for the character that you want to add >
    Select that character and click on Copy.

Step 3: Go to the email that
    you want to add the character and paste the character by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and the ‘V’ key from your keyboard and see if the characters are disappearing.

​Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Aug 12, 2019
  3. "Chinese Characters" program delaying shutdown - a different approach.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

• As you have mentioned this happens only in the Admin account, is it local account set as admin account or the Microsoft account?
    I would suggest you to check the all apps list and check if that Chinese character app is present.

After you try the above steps and share us the results what happens we can proceed with the further suggestions.

Please post us back with the results after troubleshooting the above steps and check.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 12, 2019
  4. My keyboard writes different characters

double characters

Hi Jay, my name is Max and I'm an independent advisor.

I suggest you check if your keyboard is faulty. Connect the keyboard to a different USB port (if it is a USB keyboard) or a different computer.

If your keyboard is not a culprit, perform the steps below to disable Num Lock:

- Go to the Start menu to find On-Screen Keyboard, open the On-Screen Keyboard and check if characters are doubled when typing

- If the characters are doubled when typing, type a character to check if the Fn + Num Lock keys are highlighted while typing

- If yes, press Fn + Num Lock keys together on the keyboard to disable the active Num Lock and check if it helps.

If Num Lock key is active, it results in characters being typed twice.

Max Newman, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

My keyboard writes different characters

1. My keyboard writes different characters - Similar Threads - keyboard writes different

2. Keyboard typing wrong characters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard typing wrong characters: Win 10- up to date -Asus desktop-recently began typing the wrong letters when I am trying to find a file in my documents, pictures etc..this has been asked before but the reply from 2016 doesn't apply to my Settings topics..why is this suddenly happening ? This is the only...
  3. Cannot use special characters on the keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot use special characters on the keyboard: I installed two languages, French and Spanish. However I cannot use a trema above letters or use the wave in Spanish https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-use-special-characters-on-the-keyboard/95f34eff-3237-4032-aaa5-1f20dd5bd360
  4. Keyboard typing many characters.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard typing many characters.: This is on a Dell Laptop Windows 10. So after a recent update, my keyboard has been really screwy. When I wish to type an 'r', 'v', 'e' or 'f' it will type out many characters and is always the same characters for example 'r' will type 'rweq43poiu' 'v' will do somewhat the...
  5. Windows 10 keyboard either not writing at all or writing wrong characters - CANNOT GET PAST...

Windows 10 keyboard either not writing at all or writing wrong characters - CANNOT GET PAST...: I have 64 bit Minix Neo Z83-4 Pro with Windows 10. I am using an external keyboard. My keyboard will either type the wrong letters / numbers or not type at all. I cannot login to change any setting as I can't write my password / pin correctly, or now write the...
  6. Keyboard Not Typing Correct Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Not Typing Correct Characters: My brother has an HP laptop (Model bs057cl) that he hasn't used in about a year. When he boots the computer he's unable to use the keyboard normally. We brought up the onscreen keyboard which, although it works, does not match the normal qwerty keyboard layout. In fact, the...
  7. Change characters on keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Change characters on keyboard: My keyboard changes characters from ie hash to £. I started recently. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/change-characters-on-keyboard/719f7438-ff2c-4bf6-b843-b4ac9ffcc573
  8. Keyboard showing incorrect characters

Keyboard showing incorrect characters: Cannot get pound symbol, while @ and " symbols appear to have swapped. I have ensured UK English is on the Control settings and makes no difference...
  9. Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters

Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters: I have a recurring problem with my hardwired keyboards, and not with the Logitech wireless keyboards. I am using a Das Professional 4 keyboard, and I have a cheap Amazon Basic keyboard for a backup. The problem is the " and @ exchange positions on these keyboards. If I do and...
  10. Wrong characters with keyboard

Wrong characters with keyboard: Hi My keyboard now displays @ when I press shift/double quotes and the opposite when I press shift/at sign. Where do I go to check what keyboard options have been set up during the upgrade. Thanks Daniel 10427