Windows 10: My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it

Discus and support My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My 12 year old kid has taken over the laptop with Windows 10 with Admin account. I do not have admin account which was a mistake. She won't give me... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by rohitrp, Sep 28, 2020.

1. rohitrp Win User

My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it

My 12 year old kid has taken over the laptop with Windows 10 with Admin account. I do not have admin account which was a mistake. She won't give me password to her account. This is not safe for her considering that she is on laptop for 10 hrs everyday due to remote schooling. How do I revoke her admin rights without getting password from her?

On family account she shows up as organizer and not a member. I do not believe getting her off the family account does anything.

What can I do so that she is not admin anymore without getting a password from her?

:)

rohitrp, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Granted system32 Admin to access. How to revoke?

System32 is not actually restricted for read access, the USERS group has Read & execute, List folder contents, and Read access by default. Anyone, standard user or admin can see its contents. Its a few of its sub-folders that are more restricted.

My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it [​IMG]

3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 Kids Security

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

• Is the issue confined to a particular user account?
    • What type of account have you logged into? Is it a Microsoft account or local account?
    • Have you logged in as an Administrator?
    • Do you get any error message when you try to restrict your kid to use computer?

To turn on Family Safety, you or at least one designated parent needs an
    administrator account; the kids you choose to monitor each need a standard user account.

To check whether the account you are logged in is administrator or not please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type netplwiz and hit enter.
    • See the account you are logged in with.

If you are not logged in as an administrator, I suggest you try logging in as administrator and check.

I would recommend you to reconfigure the Family Safety settings and check if it works.

You can refer link below to setup the account.

Set up your kids' accounts in Family Safety

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-up-kids-accounts#1TC=t1

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Once that is setup, refer this link to setup the limits for the accounts.

Limit when and how your kids can use the PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/limit-setting-kids-pc#1TC=t1

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Sep 28, 2020
  4. My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it

Windows 10 user account for kid - odd behaviour

I'm seriously confused by the Account adminstration in my Win10 PC.
    I have my own account as Administrator.
    I have created an account for my kid and had to setup an @outlook.com account.

Seems fine, but it's not working at all.

If i'm logged in as admin and then lock the PC and sign in on the Kid account nothing happens.

I then changed the kid account from standard to admin. Then I was able to sign in.

Back again to my admin account and change the kid account to standard account.
    I can still login as kid but I'm not able to use the start menu. nothing happens when I click it.

If I just lock the kid screen and try to sign in to my admin account I'm told my password is incorrect. If I sign out of the kid account then I can sign into my won account.

What the heck is going on?

What I would like to achieve is to have my kid setup with his own account. He should be able to use the PC, but only work on his own files as a standard user. He should not be able to view my files nor change them.

I should be able to sign in to my account while his account is locked.

How is that done in Win10?

I pointers to a good article on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Christian Steenberg, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it

1. My kid has taken over PC Windows 10 with admin account, how do I revoke it - Similar Threads - kid has taken

2. My microsft account has been taken over

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My microsft account has been taken over: Someone has setup their own email and app for 2fa and recovery and i cannot change the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsft-account-has-been-taken-over/55af3974-d3c2-4ae9-bc96-09c9f0448291
  3. My microsft account has been taken over

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My microsft account has been taken over: Someone has setup their own email and app for 2fa and recovery and i cannot change the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsft-account-has-been-taken-over/55af3974-d3c2-4ae9-bc96-09c9f0448291
  4. My microsft account has been taken over

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. My work account has taken over my Personal computer. How do I stop this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My work account has taken over my Personal computer. How do I stop this?: Ever since I logged into my work account on my personal computer, I have lost control of my settings and features. I tried to disconnect the work account from the accounts tab in the windows settings menu but still no change has availed. How do I stop this and how can I...
  6. My work account has taken over my Personal computer. How do I stop this?

My work account has taken over my Personal computer. How do I stop this?: Ever since I logged into my work account on my personal computer, I have lost control of my settings and features. I tried to disconnect the work account from the accounts tab in the windows settings menu but still no change has availed. How do I stop this and how can I...
  7. Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!: After regretful update of windows 11.. I have gone past the 10 days and there is no way out. I can not attempt to do anything useful on laptop because no matter what, I need admin privileges. There has not been one even semi useful answer. Who knows the hidden secret here?!...
  8. Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!

Administrative account has taken over-Why???!!!: After regretful update of windows 11.. I have gone past the 10 days and there is no way out. I can not attempt to do anything useful on laptop because no matter what, I need admin privileges. There has not been one even semi useful answer. Who knows the hidden secret here?!...
  9. Account Taken Over

in Windows 10 Customization
    Account Taken Over: Daughter's account somehow took over my main account on my PC? Tried to get help fixing but they said I couldn't change it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-taken-over/0fffddda-61de-4454-a800-7a4df696a072
  10. bitdefender has taken over my admin rights, how do i fix this

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitdefender has taken over my admin rights, how do i fix this: bit defender has taken over my admin rights, and I deleted it. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_10/bitdefender-has-taken-over-my-admin-rights-how-do/ea36e10f-7a7a-47ff-ad77-9ece4989cddf