Windows 10: My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in.

Discus and support My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just recently, my battery won't charge my laptop. It only works when it is plugged in. I removed the battery and installed the new updates, and nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MaribelValls, May 20, 2020.

1. My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in.

Just recently, my battery won't charge my laptop. It only works when it is plugged in. I removed the battery and installed the new updates, and nothing changed. Does anybody have any advice?

:)

MaribelValls, May 20, 2020

2. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in. pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 20, 2020
  3. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in. pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 20, 2020
  4. gordon99 Win User

My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in.

Battery plugged in but not charging.

Thought I would give an update on plugged in - not charging problem on my Dell Laptop E5420.
    For some days now while using this laptop I have left it plugged into the AC Adapter with the battery showing 100% charge. This morning, on opening up, I noticed the battery was showing 92%. On inspection I found I had disconnected the AC Adapter in error the previous evening, so I reconnected it. Immediately the battery started to charge.
    I switched the laptop off and back on pressing key F2 to find that, although charging the battery the AC Adapter was still shown as unknown. I switched the laptop off again and this time I pressed key F12, after switching on, to get into diagnostics. I found that, although the battery was again charging, the 130 watt Adapter power was still shown as 1 watt.
    I am mentioning all this just to demonstrate how a Dell Adapter can be working perfectly well even when not recognised by the PC it is powering. I am hoping the plugged in-not charging message is a thing of the past, not to be repeated, but I won't hold my breath.

gordon99, May 20, 2020
Thema:

My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in.

1. My laptop battery won't charge, will only work plugged in. - Similar Threads - laptop battery won't

2. Laptop Battery plugged in but not charging, since

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Battery plugged in but not charging, since: I believe that the batteryhardware is working fine. However it's struck at 18% plugged not charging. On disconnecting the chargerlaptop shuts down instantly. The laptop and battery was fine yesterday, the only thing changed since then was a cumulative update. [ATTACH] I...
  3. Battery not charging. Plugged in, not charging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery not charging. Plugged in, not charging: Hello, I am using HP pavilion 360 , it has been months since the message is reading "plugged in, not charging" and now the percentage has decreased to 75%. I have tried to reinstall Microsoft ACPI- Complaint Control Method Battery but it didn't work. Now what should I do?...
  4. Battery plugged in, not charging

Battery plugged in, not charging: I have my USB-C charging cable plugged into the charging port of my laptop. However, the batter icon on my bottom right says (when I moused over it) "5% available (plugged in, not charging). Can't solve this issue. Anyone with solution ? I am on Window 10 Pro, ThinkPad X1...
  5. battery won't fully charge, plugged in but no charge, with only 60%

battery won't fully charge, plugged in but no charge, with only 60%: I am traveling and want to charge my battery to 100%. Right now it is plugged in at 60% and not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-wont-fully-charge-plugged-in-but-no-charge/3e5c54ce-a064-4998-a915-31d67b611ad4
  6. Fully charged battery but laptop only works when plugged in to the power adaptor

Fully charged battery but laptop only works when plugged in to the power adaptor: I'm using a Dell Precision 6100 laptop Running Windows 10 Pro The battery is fully charged The battery/power indicator light is flashing on the laptop. If I unplug the power adaptor, the laptop instantly turns off. All drivers are up to date. I've shutdown & restarted,...
  7. battery on laptop is plugged in and not charging at 82%

in Windows 10 Customization
    battery on laptop is plugged in and not charging at 82%: battery on laptop is plugged in and not charging at 82% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-on-laptop-is-plugged-in-and-not-charging/5c5129ae-138e-4d88-9318-5efa16872efb
  8. Battery plugged in but not charging my laptop

Battery plugged in but not charging my laptop: Battery plugged in but not charging my laptop, any explanation for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery/ced9598d-1a20-4e3f-b264-560f33195649
  9. Laptop Battery (plugged in ,but not charging)

Laptop Battery (plugged in ,but not charging): As title, the problem didn't go away even I tried a new battery. Any idea to solve this issue? Many thx. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/laptop-battery-plugged-in-but-not-charging/336b6309-f4e9-4391-9b33-f4d7544fe139
  10. Laptop battery "Plugged in but not charging"

Laptop battery "Plugged in but not charging": Hi, I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 and I started having problems with my charger not charging my laptop. I replaced the charger but the problem persisted. Now my laptop only runs when plugged in and the battery icon always displays "Plugged in not charging". When I click to expand...