Windows 10: My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

Discus and support My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! I've been having this problem where my laptop can't shutdown. If I press shutdown, it only restarts. If I press sleep, it restarts too, same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DarrenArevalo1, Jul 7, 2021.

1. My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

Hello! I've been having this problem where my laptop can't shutdown. If I press shutdown, it only restarts. If I press sleep, it restarts too, same with hibernate. For now I just force shutdown my laptop by pressing and holding the power button. Please help. My laptop's battery is not working anymore if that helps

:)

DarrenArevalo1, Jul 7, 2021
  2. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Jul 7, 2021
  3. Computuer restarts immediately when trying to hibernate

My laptop has suddenly started automatically restarting when I try to hibernate. I have tried many solutions I found on the internet and this forum.

• I disabled fast restart
    • ran power troubleshooter
    • reset the power plan defaults
    • updated bios
    • tried a repair install
    • disabled hybrid sleep in power settings

I have already updated to v 1909. I am running Win 10 Pro.

The fast start disable fixed the auto restart on shutdown but not or hibernate. Sleep works fine. Please advise what other steps to try.

Jerry Welliver, Jul 7, 2021
  4. My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, Jul 7, 2021
Thema:

My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

1. My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts - Similar Threads - laptop can't shutdown

2. my laptop does not shutdown or hibernate after upgrade to windows 11, it sleeps only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop does not shutdown or hibernate after upgrade to windows 11, it sleeps only: I have upgraded my windows version from windows 10 to windows 11 and there after i installed the windows update. the details of my windws 11 as shown below:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB 31.8 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  3. my laptop does not shutdown or hibernate after upgrade to windows 11, it sleeps only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my laptop does not shutdown or hibernate after upgrade to windows 11, it sleeps only: I have upgraded my windows version from windows 10 to windows 11 and there after i installed the windows update. the details of my windws 11 as shown below:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB 31.8 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  4. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  5. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  6. How to Shutdown, Restart, Sign, Sleep, Hibernate in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to Shutdown, Restart, Sign, Sleep, Hibernate in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Windows 11 is a new iteration of Microsoft Windows. Even though it is not completely different from Windows 10, but there are some changes in the GUI that may confuse you a bit initially. In this guide, we are going to see how to Shutdown, Restart, Sign, Sleep,...
  7. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate: I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...
  8. System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart

in Windows 10 Support
    System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart: I have, for me, an unusual problem for which I've tried all the usual (and some unusual) fixes. None work. When my computer first boots or restarts, all of the normal methods (idle time, closing lid, or selecting among the power options) produce the right results: sleep,...
  9. My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!: i have an asus x550lc which i recently upgraded to windows 10 x64. My pc is having a serious problem. it wont shutdown or sleep or restart properly. Sometimes it works all fine but most of the time after i shutdown or sleep the pc... the pc will turn off the screen and the...
  10. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.: Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running. I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop...