Windows 10: My laptop freezes when connecting via Ethernet

Discus and support My laptop freezes when connecting via Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 6-year old Asus laptop. It shipped with Win 7. It has a 1 TB hard drive, partitioned in two. Win 7 is still on one partition. The other has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharlesDyer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. My laptop freezes when connecting via Ethernet

I have a 6-year old Asus laptop. It shipped with Win 7. It has a 1 TB hard drive, partitioned in two. Win 7 is still on one partition. The other has Win 10.

Starting with the September update to Win 10, if I plug in an Ethernet cable on my laptop, it freezes. I get a blue screen indicating that there is a problem and that information is being gathered to send to Microsoft. A counter goes up to 100% and the machine restarts. This time the system does not freeze even if an Ethernet cable is plugged in. The problem has occurred with three separate networks (my home net, and two networks elsewhere, one of them at work). The problem did NOT occur prior to the September update to Win 10. The problem does NOT occur if I boot into Win 7. The problem does NOT occur if I connect using a wireless connection. The problem does NOT occur if I boot up using a Ubuntu boot USB device. It only occurs with Win 10, and only since September. Other Windows systems connected to to the same networks do not have this problem. Other Mac systems connected the same networks do not have this problem.

I need to have an Ethernet connection for security reasons at work and for speed at home; this Asus has 802.11n wireless, which is simply not fast enough for many things, while I'm connecting to 1000baseT Ethernet at home and at work. The Asus does have a 1000bT Ethernet internal card.

I have Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 Pro. Hyper-V is set up on Win 10, and has been since I first installed Win 10, years ago. I have Ubuntu and macOS instances set up in Hyper-V. Active Directory is not set up on this machine.

The Asus has a 2.2 GHz quad-core i7 with hypertheading. It has 8 GB RAM, the maximum which can be fitted, and has had 8 GB since shortly after I first bought it.

I have checked the network drivers in Device Manager and have not found anything significant. Asus does not have driver support for Windows 10 for this laptop.

I suspect that something broke with the September update to Win 10. The October update did not fix it. Asus doesn't even have Win 8.1 drivers, so they're not likely to provide any assistance. The laptop works well otherwise, and I don't see any reason to replace it for this problem. I do see a reason to fix the problem.

:)

CharlesDyer, Oct 15, 2018
  2. aks45 Win User

Ethernet connection/port on my laptop

Thanks for the suggested solution which I tried. My feedback:

• Update download was completed but installation did not complete and the message popped up that stated that update is not compatible and cannot be installed.

Info sought in your mail is as follows:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
      • Window 10 Pro
      • Version 1709
      • OS Build 16299.192
    • What is the make and model of your laptop?
      • Dell Alienware
      • 15" Laptop
      • System 64 bit os x64-based processor
    • Are you experiencing the same issue even when you are using another Ethernet cable?
      • yes, tried different cables
      • (also same ethernet cable & connection works on my mac notebook)
    • Have you made any changes to your computer setting before this issue occurred?
      • Can't say with certainty about changes, if any, made. Normally i don't fiddle with the laptop systems.
      • ethernet port was working just fine and suddenly became dsysfunctional about two weeks back.
      • Checked Network adapters in the device manager which highlights Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller with a yellow mark. Also checked network adapter driver which states that installed driver is the latest.

aks45, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Ethernet Connection

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We would like to ask additional information that will help us in resolving the issue.

• What kind of computer are you using? Is it a desktop or a laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes to your computer?
    • Have you tried troubleshooting the issue by yourself? If yes, what were the steps you have taken so far?

I would suggest you to try the following and check:

• Verify that the cable connects the modem to the wall jack is connected securely.
    • Verify that the cable connects the computer to the modem is attached securely at both ends.
    • Restart the router/modem.

Follow the steps and let us know if it helps.

JericDale Ort, Oct 15, 2018
  4. MarcoArik Win User

My laptop freezes when connecting via Ethernet

How to delete an ethernet connection?

Just as title says. I have some old ethernet connections in my list, and I would like to delete it to clean.

Any suggestion?

MarcoArik, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

My laptop freezes when connecting via Ethernet

1. My laptop freezes when connecting via Ethernet - Similar Threads - laptop freezes connecting

2. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  3. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  4. PC freezing when connecting to Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezing when connecting to Ethernet: Hi,My computer freezes when I try to connect to Ethernet. So I turned my pc off and on. Then when I logged into my account I got BSOD windows stop code critical process dies.Please help me to fix this issue.Thanks....
  5. PC freezing when connecting to Ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC freezing when connecting to Ethernet: Hi,My computer freezes when I try to connect to Ethernet. So I turned my pc off and on. Then when I logged into my account I got BSOD windows stop code critical process dies.Please help me to fix this issue.Thanks....
  6. PC freezing when connecting to Ethernet

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Laptop acts like fast-restart is enabled when connected via ethernet

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop acts like fast-restart is enabled when connected via ethernet: HP laptop 17-f113dx running windows 10.I recently disabled fast-restart but when the ethernet cable is connected the laptop acts like fast restart is still turned on.Unplugging the ethernet cable before full shutdown and keeping it unplugged until after boot stops the...
  8. Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet: My computer has experienced a problem where when I plug in the Ethernet cable and connect to the network, it fails to connect to the internet says it is an "Undefined Network" and can't connect to the Internet. When I run a diagnosis it finds that Ethernet doesn't have a...
  9. Trying to connect via Ethernet not working.

Trying to connect via Ethernet not working.: Hi, i have a custom build desktop and i just got my new hard drive in and loaded it up with win 10, and immediately started having issues connecting via Ethernet. I have tried many online tutorials in an attempt to fix this issue. its not my modem or cable, my computer...
  10. Slow Connecting via Ethernet?

Slow Connecting via Ethernet?: I have an unusual issue that seems to have just started occurring over the past month. My i-7 desktop with 16 gb RAM is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable. Connection speed (upload and download) is 25-30 Mbs. Have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition fully updated. If...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer freezes when connecting to ethernet cable