Windows 10: My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and hasnt worked since...

Discus and support My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and hasnt worked since... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and since then I have tried to do everything possible to try and fix the issue but nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Delvesh, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Delvesh Win User

My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and hasnt worked since...

Hi,

My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and since then I have tried to do everything possible to try and fix the issue but nothing helps. It upgraded for 2 days and then kept hanging at the time of setting up "personalized settings" but after about 3 dozen restarts, it still gets stuck there or even before that sometimes... I tried to use system menu to revert the update but it gives error that it wasnt able to revert quality or feature updates. There was a restore point but was quite old and it cant even find it. I have tried enabling debug mode but it doesnt go far...neither does it help to use the 3-4 disable options f6-f9. I am able to boot in safe mode and in safe mode with command prompt but that's it...so no networking

I just cannot re-install windows because all the other apps that are installed will be erased. Can I do anything to help my situation? Any pointers will be appreciated...

:)

Delvesh, Nov 30, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Nov 30, 2020
  3. marks1964 Win User
    NON-RESERVED Win 10 upgrade started automatically downloading.

Hi,

I need to get the following information.

I have been given the task of removing and then blocking the unwanted (and unreserved) Win 10 upgrade from another person's laptop.

I need to know all of the steps so I can remove the unwanted (and unreserved) Win 10 upgrade.

• The partial download.
    • The registry entries that need to be deleted.
    • The updates to block.
    I will be doing a full cold backup before proceeding in case of things going wrong.

Kind regards,

Mark

marks1964, Nov 30, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and hasnt worked since...

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

1. My laptop got an automatic upgrade to Win 10 last year and hasnt worked since... - Similar Threads - laptop got automatic

2. laptop not working since last update

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop not working since last update: Hi, My HP probook is now inoperable since it restarted after an update. Previous to that it kept crashing & I was getting different stop codes including KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED & MEMORY MANAGEMENT. After a series of crashes it said needs a restart. Ever since that...
  3. Cannot update laptop since last year - error 0cx1900101

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot update laptop since last year - error 0cx1900101: My Lenovo Y50-70 Touch has been updating fine in the Release Preview Insider Ring up until September 7 2019. Since then, I have not been able to update, getting error 0xc1000101. On June 20, 2020, I changed to the Slow Ring and it did not update either. I have even...
  4. Something has changed since last year?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Something has changed since last year?: I am running windows 10,and I use Nikon Camera,last year the photos are perfect,this year I now have an Extension I never heard about DSC_0046.NEF What or whom decided that now I have to go Download Codecs From Microsoft Store?????? Plus the Microsoft store stops...
  5. Since the last Win 10 update, Chrome not working, cannot be reinstalled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Since the last Win 10 update, Chrome not working, cannot be reinstalled: Since the last Win 10 update, Chrome would not work. Edge was/is fine. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Install keeps failing. Edge is not working well with video subscription services (NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon). Why can't I install Chrome? Is there a bug?...
  6. My last rwo win 10 updates have failed since early Feb this year

My last rwo win 10 updates have failed since early Feb this year: is there a simple way to rectify 0x800f0922. My last rwo win 10 updates have failed since early Feb this year https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-last-rwo-win-10-updates-have-failed-since-early/9fcc61f6-9982-46cd-aced-5addaa6ddf97
  7. My blue tooth is not working or showing up since the last upgrade

My blue tooth is not working or showing up since the last upgrade: I have been using blue tooth on my laptop since I bought it -but after the last update of windows, I cannot get my blue tooth to work...
  8. No audio on PC since downloading Win 10 last year

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio on PC since downloading Win 10 last year: Hi there, My nephew decided to download the untested version of Win 10 onto his PC last year which caused it to crash. After spending a whole day trying to save the PC, my husband who is not an IT technician but has some understanding, has been unable to retrieve the audio...
  9. Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10: Hi everyone, I recently upgraded from win 7 to win 10. After upgrading I noticed my start menu wasn't working properly. When I clicked it or even the search box nothing would come up. I found some potential solutions online which suggested running sfc /scannnow, which i...
  10. Uninstall Win 10 and upgrade later in year

Uninstall Win 10 and upgrade later in year: I was using Win7 home premium. I just have tried Win 10 for a couple of weeks and found it sadly lacking and slow! The mousepad needs re-installing every couple of days and wifi keep dropping off, and other issues. So what I would like to do it go back to Win 7 and maybe...