Windows 10: My Laptop has a black screen once I tried to start a factory reset

Discus and support My Laptop has a black screen once I tried to start a factory reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So ill start from the beginning. Last night I had a windows update that I had been ignoring for a couple of days and I decided to start it. I let it go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stwayb, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Stwayb Win User

My Laptop has a black screen once I tried to start a factory reset

So ill start from the beginning. Last night I had a windows update that I had been ignoring for a couple of days and I decided to start it. I let it go overnight and when I woke up it was still at 0% so I looked up what to do and it said to power off the pc and try again. When I did this I was able to get to my log in screen but my pin no longer was active and my password said it didn't work and that the pc was in offline mode and to use the last used password I've only ever had one. So I went to power options in the bottom right and saw that update and restart was an option so I did that thinking it would fix my issues. The restart went through with an update and now that option is gone. So I decided to stop trying to fix it and just to hard reset it. I restarted in safe mode by holding shift while clicking restart and then from safe mode, I clicked reset everything. As soon as I did that the screen just turned off but the keyboard is still on and the laptop is still running. I've let it sit here for about an hour now and nothing has changed. I do not know what to do next I feel like I've tried everything. I am going to let it continue at this black screen for the next 6ish hours and I will update this post if anything changes.

Please help.

Thanks

:)

Stwayb, Apr 3, 2021

2. Black screen after trying to reset back to factory settings. (Windows 10)

Hi Simen,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with black screen issue on Windows 10 . I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in system settings or display driver is corrupt.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "reset my computer back to factory settings", are you referring that you have tried to perform rolling back to previous Operating System or performed Reset of Windows 10?
    • Are you able to see Windows 10 logo when you switch on the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in the Microsoft Help Article about troubleshooting on black screen related issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Please get back to us with an update on black screen issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 3, 2021
  3. swat354 Win User
    Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Thank you john for all of your help i decided to get the usb my computer came with and factory reset it i didnt have anything that personal or valueable so its ok thanks for the help though i appreciate it

swat354, Apr 3, 2021
  4. Virus-j Win User

Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
    Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

Virus-j, Apr 3, 2021
Thema:

1. My Laptop has a black screen once I tried to start a factory reset - Similar Threads - Laptop has black

2. I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...: i factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after the update the hdmi isnt working and i cant see the screen on my tv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-factory-reset-my-laptop-that-has-a-broken-screen/4493b3f6-d835-4057-9675-ab3c8923de96
  3. I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...: i factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after the update the hdmi isnt working and i cant see the screen on my tv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-factory-reset-my-laptop-that-has-a-broken-screen/4493b3f6-d835-4057-9675-ab3c8923de96
  4. Computer stuck in a black screen after I tried to factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer stuck in a black screen after I tried to factory reset: My computer been having a LOT of bios issues, so I tried to factory reset it yesterday. I left it when I saw it at getting ready - 30% but when I came back it was at a black screen, with my keyboard and mouse turned off, but my pc was running and my microphone was getting...
  5. Computer stuck in a black screen after I tried to factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer stuck in a black screen after I tried to factory reset: My computer been having a LOT of bios issues, so I tried to factory reset it yesterday. I left it when I saw it at getting ready - 30% but when I came back it was at a black screen, with my keyboard and mouse turned off, but my pc was running and my microphone was getting...
  6. Black screen after starting windows factory reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen after starting windows factory reset: So basically I wanted to reset my windows to factory as it kept occasionally crashing and I had other problems that I was told would be fixed if I reset it so that’s what I did and I set it to reinstall from my drive not from my cloud and I set it to clean my drive and the...
  7. After starting a Factory Reset screen went black

After starting a Factory Reset screen went black: I was experiencing issues with chrome i uninstalled it and reinstalled it did not fix the issues so i idecided to go for a factory reset. After starting the factory reset it got everything ready and started, after it started the reset my screen went black and wont change the...
  8. I tried to Factory reset my Laptop but it failed

I tried to Factory reset my Laptop but it failed: So basically every time i try to factory reset my laptop, it brings me to a blue screen with options to use cmd, shut down or restart and my reset fails. I have done some searching and found that there is a file that stores my information on what the error was. I hope this...
  9. I tried to Factory reset my Laptop but it failed

in Windows 10 Support
    I tried to Factory reset my Laptop but it failed: So basically every time i try to factory reset my laptop, it brings me to a blue screen with options to use cmd, shut down or restart and my reset fails. I have done some searching and found that there is a file that stores my information on what the error was. I hope this...
  10. Black screen issue while trying to factory reset my desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen issue while trying to factory reset my desktop.: Ive been having an issue where I go to factory reset my pc and it proceeds with the reset then goes to a black screen. Ive tried changing out the HDMI to my monitor but that didnt change it. My desktop is still on during this. The problem occurred after using a built in msi...