Windows 10: My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but...

Discus and support My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have plenty of space and memory. I have the Intel I5 and this is the first time this has happened. no new programs, software or anything new at all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JOSEPHMX, Sep 28, 2018.

1. JOSEPHMX Win User

My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but...

I have plenty of space and memory. I have the Intel I5 and this is the first time this has happened. no new programs, software or anything new at all in over a year. I do not know if Windows 10 updates has caused this but I'd like to resolve it quickly. I do not have time to be sitting around waiting for it to respond to a click and them waiting for anything to happen after it responds.

:)

JOSEPHMX, Sep 28, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

1. Did you empty the recycle bin ? If not, empty it.
    2. Delete the contents under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are downloaded Windows Updates files and already installed.
    3. Open Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      This should remove all the no longer used by component store. Will take a while to run.

topgundcp, Sep 28, 2018
  3. Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

Thanks for the replies. I did not take any screenshots on my laptop, but I tried this on my desktop with the same results- 18 gigabyte folder, 10 gigs freed. Here are the screenshots from my desktop:
    My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but... [​IMG]

My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but... [​IMG]

CmmTch, thanks for the link. It didn't quite help me solve this particular issue, but I did find some things that I could move to my external (apple backups, old virtual machine files, etc).

SpaseMonkey, Sep 28, 2018
  4. My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but...

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via Windows Disk Cleanup. Since the Windows.old folder still exists even after the cleanup, I decided to check the folder properties to see if the folder still took up some space, but it was completely empty, save for a few empty subfolders that I didn't have permission to delete myself. I tried Disk Cleanup a second time, but it did not give me the option to delete old Windows files. Anybody got an answer for me? Please hurry. My poor SSD is suffering. It needs more games.

SpaseMonkey, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but...

1. My laptop has become suddenly very slow. I freed up space and went through all that but... - Similar Threads - laptop has become

2. My Laptop Has Become very slow suddenly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop Has Become very slow suddenly: Hello,I have a lenovo laptop and it has been working like a butterreally good ever since I bought it. I work on the laptop for 7-8 hours a day. But since last one week, my laptop has suddenly slowed down and hangs every five minutes.Last week, I visited a few adult websites...
  3. My Laptop Has Become very slow suddenly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Laptop Has Become very slow suddenly: Hello,I have a lenovo laptop and it has been working like a butterreally good ever since I bought it. I work on the laptop for 7-8 hours a day. But since last one week, my laptop has suddenly slowed down and hangs every five minutes.Last week, I visited a few adult websites...
  4. My Laptop Has Become very slow suddenly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My Laptop has suddenly become very slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop has suddenly become very slow.: Recently I had a game in laptop RDR 2 which worked very smooth at Graphic Settings on medium and I used to play it whole day without any lag or error.But one day I updated my laptop including software, firmware and windows update I updated it for 2nd time in 2 years and the...
  6. My Laptop has suddenly become very slow.

My Laptop has suddenly become very slow.: Recently I had a game in laptop RDR 2 which worked very smooth at Graphic Settings on medium and I used to play it whole day without any lag or error.But one day I updated my laptop including software, firmware and windows update I updated it for 2nd time in 2 years and the...
  7. My HP Laptop has suddenly begun to become very slow.

My HP Laptop has suddenly begun to become very slow.: I used the Microsoft Tips on how to increase your performance, and this is a very recent change as my laptop has always been able to run apps like Chrome relatively quickly. I have paused OneDrive syncing, uninstalled useless apps, checked task manager for background apps...
  8. My HP Laptop has suddenly begun to become very slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP Laptop has suddenly begun to become very slow.: I used the Microsoft Tips on how to increase your performance, and this is a very recent change as my laptop has always been able to run apps like Chrome relatively quickly. I have paused OneDrive syncing, uninstalled useless apps, checked task manager for background apps...
  9. Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden: I have an Asus Zenbook laptop that I mostly use for gaming. Normally, it runs fine, but lately it has been becoming EXTREMELY slow. And I mean only a few bytes per second download speed type slow. I can't use any games that require internet because they lag and take extremely...
  10. Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden

Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden: I have an Asus Zenbook laptop that I mostly use for gaming. Normally, it runs fine, but lately it has been becoming EXTREMELY slow. And I mean only a few bytes per second download speed type slow. I can't use any games that require internet because they lag and take extremely...