Windows 10: My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...

Discus and support My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Tried all sorts of things like making the connection metered, switched off background apps and the likes and it still isn't working.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thelaw_125, May 17, 2023.

1. My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...

Tried all sorts of things like making the connection metered, switched off background apps and the likes and it still isn't working.

:)

Thelaw_125, May 17, 2023

2. Unknown data usage

The Nokia Lumia Windows Phone has a very good considerable battery life. I wouldn't worry with having the Battery Saver featured enabled much because honestly you won't need it unless in case of emergencies. The data usage is very much so defined by your
    wireless carrier more than Windows Phone. You may need to contact them directly to ask why your data usage is increasing if you are not changing from your regular routines and the usage was not the same in usage.

This can also be defined by observing the things you do with Windows Phone. Your service area also defines when and where your data is used by the phone automatically because in a sense it tells the phone the only way it can function at certain times is
    via the data connection (hence increasing the data usage on your wireless plan). You can always disable the data features on Windows Phone. This is mainly what I suggest you do until you contact the carrier directly and alert them of what is going on. You
    should also consider using an unlimited data plan, or a data plan that only allows for WiFi usage. The very last step is how to completely disable the data features, but you can also try these steps as well to improve your data usage overall, follow
    these steps and then call your carrier to inquire about the data options you have:

If you don't have an unlimited data plan, you may be looking for ways to shave a little bit off of your data usage. This topic provides a few ways to turn down or turn off some of the features that require a data connection on your phone.
    Turn on Battery Saver
    Battery Saver turns off some, but not all, of the features that require a data connection. You can turn it on whenever you want, or set it to turn on automatically when your battery is low. To learn more, see Battery:
    making it last

• On Start, flick left to the App list, and then tap Settings
      My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that... start-icon-settings.png
      > Battery
      saver.

• Do one or both of the following:
      • If you want Battery Saver to turn on whenever the battery gets to 20%, select Always turn on Battery Saver when battery is low.
      • If you want to turn on Battery Saver now and leave it on until the next time you plug in your phone, select Turn on Battery Saver now until next charge.

Change email sync settings
    You can choose how often your phone automatically syncs email, or you can sync it manually, just when you want to.

• On Start, flick left to the App list, and then tap the email account whose settings you want to change.

• Tap More
      My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that... basic-icon-ellipses.png
      > Settings, and then tap Sync
      settings.

• Tap the Download new content list, then tap a time. If you don't want your phone to ever sync email from this account automatically, tap Manually.

Turn on airplane mode
    If you're looking to turn off your cellular connection just for a while, an easy way is to turn on airplane mode.

My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that... start-icon-settings.png
      > Airplane
      mode.

• Turn Status to On.

Stop sending usage feedback with a data connection
    Your phone can send feedback to help improve Windows Phones, but you can choose not to send this feedback using a cellular data connection.

> Feedback.

• Clear the Use my cellular data connection to send feedback check box.

Turn off your cellular data connection
    The most thorough way to make sure you're not using data is to turn off your data connection altogether.

> Cellular.

• Turn Data connection to Off.

Jody.Brown, May 17, 2023
  3. r19001 Win User
    Is there a way to check data usage on USB Tethering connection

Thanks for your reply, I did use the default app to check for data usage, it was coming from tethering, however I cannot find a way to set the range to today only.

I also try to use the Data Usage in Windows 10 as well, however this one also give me the data usage of the past 30days, is it possible for me to limit it down to today only?

r19001, May 17, 2023
  4. My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...

Data usage not tallying with the actual usage of data when checked on Windows 10.

Hello,

I understand your concern in this regard.

There are some reasons where total usage differ with the app data
    usage. Suggest you to check this issue by resetting the existing data usage to zero. You can do this by toggling
    off the Metered connection, then restart your PC. This action will reset the consumed data to zero.

Ensure to toggle on the
    Metered connection once you restart your PC.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 17, 2023
Thema:

My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...

1. My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that... - Similar Threads - laptop has been

2. My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...: Tried all sorts of things like making the connection metered, switched off background apps and the likes and it still isn't working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-has-been-using-way-more-data-than-usual/b81ac9a9-ae47-46b7-b31e-24ab87b7bd67
  3. My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop has been using way more data than usual, checked my data usage and found out that...: Tried all sorts of things like making the connection metered, switched off background apps and the likes and it still isn't working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-has-been-using-way-more-data-than-usual/b81ac9a9-ae47-46b7-b31e-24ab87b7bd67
  4. Why does my system uses more data in 'Data usage'?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my system uses more data in 'Data usage'?: My windows 10 uses more data, under data usage the 'System' uses more data in GB's. I have checked Metered connection, turn off auto updates too still uses more data....
  5. Why does my system uses more data in 'Data usage'?

Why does my system uses more data in 'Data usage'?: My windows 10 uses more data, under data usage the 'System' uses more data in GB's. I have checked Metered connection, turn off auto updates too still uses more data....
  6. Why does my system uses more data in 'Data usage'?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Check Data Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check Data Usage: I just received several texts from my ISP stating that I have gone over my data limit. I have an Eero router so I was able to use the app to check data usage. I saw that my home PC has downloaded almost 2TB and uploaded around 50GB in the last 12 hours and was still going. I...
  8. Check Data Usage

Check Data Usage: I just received several texts from my ISP stating that I have gone over my data limit. I have an Eero router so I was able to use the app to check data usage. I saw that my home PC has downloaded almost 2TB and uploaded around 50GB in the last 12 hours and was still going. I...
  9. The data usage on my laptop showed that 'system' had consumed more than 70 gb of data in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The data usage on my laptop showed that 'system' had consumed more than 70 gb of data in...: The data usage on my laptop showed that 'system' had consumed more than 70 gb of data in the past 1 month. I do not believe that my laptop went through any major software update that may warrant such a high usage. This has never happened before. Can someone please explain...
  10. Data Usage for more than a month

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Usage for more than a month: Hi , How can I see my network data usage for more than a month under "Settings>>Netwok&Internet>>DataUsage" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/data-usage-for-more-than-a-month/20df901d-e853-4cd0-8658-aa47db60dd71