Windows 10: My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

Discus and support My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My laptop started asking for a Bitlocker recovery key every time I start up the computer. This started after a recent windows update. I was able to... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Kevin Major2, Mar 18, 2024.

1. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

My laptop started asking for a Bitlocker recovery key every time I start up the computer. This started after a recent windows update. I was able to find the key but it is just frustrating that I have to enter it every time I use the computer. How do I stop this from happening?

:)

Kevin Major2, Mar 18, 2024
  2. Kevin TCE Win User

BitLocker Recovery Account issue

Hello,

I have a coworker who after rebooting their laptop, received a blue screen showing a BitLocker Recovery window, where its prompting the user to enter a recovery key in order to access their laptop. This is the first encounter I have seen asking for bitlocker recovery for a user, as we never had an issue where if it did lockout a user, it never asked for a bitlocker recovery key.

We then checked the url: My Account to see if their was a bitlocker recovery key.

Their was no key to use. (attached screenshot)

So we are not sure how to proceed from here. We had another IT user tried various alternatives such as rebooting, attempting to safe mode with no luck.

Asking here for any suggestions on what to do, as this is our first experience on bitlocker recovery.

Kevin TCE, Mar 18, 2024
  3. pj04 Win User
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery 179380d1520127328t-asking-bitlocker-recovery-key-login-whatsapp-image-2018-03-03-20.18.06.jpg

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery 179381d1520127346t-asking-bitlocker-recovery-key-login-whatsapp-image-2018-03-03-20.18.06-1-.jpg

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

4. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Mar 18, 2024
Thema:

My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

1. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery - Similar Threads - laptop asking Bitlocker

2. my laptop asking bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop asking bitlocker key: my deice asking bitlocker but i didnt seted,but its locked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-asking-bitlocker-key/d0e5fa0a-7b40-46cd-a608-3edfea1dcfa4
  3. my laptop asking bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my laptop asking bitlocker key: my deice asking bitlocker but i didnt seted,but its locked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-asking-bitlocker-key/d0e5fa0a-7b40-46cd-a608-3edfea1dcfa4
  4. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery: My laptop started asking for a Bitlocker recovery key every time I start up the computer. This started after a recent windows update. I was able to find the key but it is just frustrating that I have to enter it every time I use the computer. How do I stop this from...
  5. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery: My laptop started asking for a Bitlocker recovery key every time I start up the computer. This started after a recent windows update. I was able to find the key but it is just frustrating that I have to enter it every time I use the computer. How do I stop this from...
  6. Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker recovery key and still will not load

Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker recovery key and still will not load: Why does laptop keep asking for BitLocker recovery key instead of loading. Screen is black with hp sign and never loads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-keeps-asking-for-bitlocker-recovery-key-and/316d9372-4b37-40ba-a626-1160f7dd456f
  7. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  8. asking for Bitlocker recovery Key everytime i boot the laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    asking for Bitlocker recovery Key everytime i boot the laptop: i have the very long recovery key but it is very inconvenient to enter every time my Dell Inspiron 7773 boots? i disabled bitlocker on all the drives but still being prompted to enter during the start up. please help...
  9. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...