Windows 10: My laptop is taking forever to boot!

Discus and support My laptop is taking forever to boot! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have an Asus gl551jw and every single time I booted the laptop, it took 4 to 10 seconds to boot, nothing to complain, that was really fast since I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sicron, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Sicron Win User

My laptop is taking forever to boot!

I have an Asus gl551jw and every single time I booted the laptop, it took 4 to 10 seconds to boot, nothing to complain, that was really fast since I've never had an gaming laptop before.

3 months or so later, it started taking a whole minute to boot, I don't remember if it started suddenly but since then it has never changed.

My laptop is taking forever to boot! 06e2dcc1-f9f1-401b-8445-c393f4c0ec78?upload=true.png As you can see, I don't have many things that may have slowed down the boot drastically, but still, the BIOS boot time was 120 seconds!

I'm not sure what to do anymore about this, the long boot time really didn't matter to me since I was on vacation, but since I've started school, these 120 seconds have made my life a little worse, and it really starts to annoy me.

I don't know if this helps but, when I boot it, it stays on the ROG logo for about a minute and 10 seconds and then it appears the loading circle, after the loading circle appears it takes about 5 seconds to boot.

If you could help me I would be really thankful.

:)

Sicron, Dec 23, 2019

2. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, Dec 23, 2019
  3. My Laptop takes forever to turn on

Hi guys I need some help! I've had my laptop for around 4 years now (asus g750) (win10) I have an issue when ever I turn it off or restart it it takes forever to turn back on all the HUD lights turn on and I can hear the fan but it just takes forever for
    something to come up my screen just stays black but once it loads up its fine everything works it's fast and yeh it just take forever to load up pls someone help

AlexGeurts, Dec 23, 2019
  4. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

1. My laptop is taking forever to boot! - Similar Threads - laptop taking forever

2. Booting up takes forever on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting up takes forever on windows 10: Hello, I have a weird problem on my asus laptop, which is not listed anywhere in google, so I thought about coming here for help because I'm stuck.Ok here is my problem. Normally when I turn on my laptop, I see the asus logo then immediately under it I see the spinning circle...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  5. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Ubuntu Subsystem takes forever to boot

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Ubuntu Subsystem takes forever to boot: I recently installed the Windows System for Linux and the distro that I choose was Ubuntu. Though after when I tried to log on to Ubuntu after I woke up, it just was stuck in booting and didn't actually load for like 10-15 minutes. I'm not sure what the problem is and this is...
  7. Win 10 takes forever to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 takes forever to boot: Hi, My Win10 takes almost 15 to 20 minutes to display the win logon since powering ON. The following is the machine specs: OS : Win10 Pro Processor : Intel i7 7th Gen RAM : 16 GB HDD : SSD 256GB Let me know what logs do you need to troubleshoot this issue?...
  8. Laptop taking forever to open Windows

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop taking forever to open Windows: For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically okay. I've tried chkdsk /f, running virus checks, going back to previous restore points and disabling unnecessary startup apps,...
  9. Laptop taking forever to open Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop taking forever to open Windows: For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically okay. I've tried chkdsk /f, running virus checks, going back to previous restore points and disabling unnecessary startup apps,...
  10. PC taking forever to boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC taking forever to boot.: My PC has been taking a long time to boot. Whenever I press the power button, the power light blinks and the loading screen appears as usual, but it remains for a long time(the dots circling screen). I have waited for apmost hours but it doesnt start. I have to firce atop it...