Windows 10: My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working

Discus and support My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; There were some glitches while I was using PowerPoint. A message telling me to use "Ctrl + T" kept popping up and the error sound with no error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sasha_123, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Sasha_123 Win User

My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working

There were some glitches while I was using PowerPoint. A message telling me to use "Ctrl + T" kept popping up and the error sound with no error message. I restarted my computer a couple times. Things were back to normal. I left to go get something. When I returned the keyboard was no longer responding when I typed. However the backlight still worked. Also when i held down the power button + up volume, it responded by giving me the option to turn my PC off. I checked to see if I had any updates. I'm up to date. I also reset my computer. It still didn't fix the keyboard. Other forums said to uninstall keyboard driver ps2... But I don't have that.

:)

Sasha_123, Apr 23, 2020
  2. mwake Win User

Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Try again with the pictures... I also included other pictures of the damage the heat has done to the plastic chassis of the laptop. Over the years the heat has become so extreme that bits of plastic around the exhaust grill has melted or chipped off. Also, you can see how the underside of the keyboard takes the brunt of the heat from the CPU fan and battery which sits just underneath the keyboard wires (in fact just a bit of tape separates the keyboard flat cable and the swollen battery.

My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working [​IMG]

Well, just now I tried another tactic. I remember I bought some memory from eBay to push my the capacity form 8gb to 16gb last year and they have worked flawlessly. But I just now put the original 8gb back in to see if its the memory that's causing the weirdness. Although as I've said in my experience failing memory usually gives BSOD, random lockups and hang etc. I'd be surprised how a memory could affect a laptop keyboard in this way but it could be the reason why I was getting problems at boot...

The problem usually shows itself when the laptop has to restart from a cold boot so I'm going to now do a series of a cold boot to see if the issues comes back. If not then ill put the newer 16gb memory back in and do a memory test over the weekend.

I'm starting to think the bios or the regulator that gives power to the keyboard is faulty on the mainboard. Those two issues are expensive fixes though.

mwake, Apr 23, 2020
  3. Magmaw Win User
    Keyboard randomly stopped working

My built in laptop keyboard stopped working after the computer randomly turned off by itself.

(Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad).

I have tried:

Uninstalling drivers and scanning for hardware changes to reinstall them.

Entering safe mode (computer wouldn’t even start in safe mode).

Entering the BIOS to see if there were any changes I could make there (there weren’t).

Now I am getting Code 19 and Code 12 errors for the keyboard in Device Manager.

I’ve tried all troubleshooting steps on many websites, and nothing works.

External keyboards work when I plug them in.

Please help!!

Magmaw, Apr 23, 2020
  4. mwake Win User

Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Ok, so recently I found my Toshiba Satellite laptop keyboard sometimes stops working. Nothing at all. The number lock light stays on if it is on but no response from any of the keys....This happens sometimes at boot but sometimes it happens randomly after a successful boot. It can work for any amount of time and then stop working. On average though it usually happens within two hours though but can go all day before it happens again

I decided to take the nuclear option and reformat because I thought it was a virus.

So, after a reformat everything was good and then it started happening again. I haven't installed any software since reinstallation of windows.

I have another USB wireless keyboard and when to use that it works properly but the built-in one still doesn't work until I do a reboot and sometimes even after a reboot it doesn't work.

So what could this be:

1. My computer is 5 years old. Could it be that a dying CMOS battery could affect the keyboard and make it randomly stop working?

2. I also surmised that maybe there was a windows update that affected the keyboard but I haven't seen anything that relates to keyboard or other motherboard drivers being installed.

3. Or could it be the keyboard hardware itself, is it failing somehow? But why would it work properly sometimes after a reboot?

4. Or something else? that's why I came here to ask for suggestions or direct solutions

I appreciate any guidance on helping to solve this frustrating issue

PS:

I tried to use Event Viewer to see if there is an entry that would show if Windows has reported/noticed the keyboard malfunctioning but I don't know where to look in Event Viewer, it's above my technical ability to know exactly where to look. I have tried but I don't see anything obvious.

System Information:

System Model Satellite S50D-A

Keyboard Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys (10.0.15063.0, 112.50 KB (115,200 bytes), 2017-03-18 5:56 PM)

mwake, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

1. My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working - Similar Threads - laptop keyboard randomly

2. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  3. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  4. Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad t460p whoose keyboard randomly stops working after startup and touchpad scroll also works with delay when keyboard stops working but keypad mouse works just fine,When this problem arrives and i try to restart the laptop or even shut it down, the...
  5. Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad t460p whoose keyboard randomly stops working after startup and touchpad scroll also works with delay when keyboard stops working but keypad mouse works just fine,When this problem arrives and i try to restart the laptop or even shut it down, the...
  6. Keyboard stops working randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard stops working randomly: Hi,I've done some searching but I think the keywords I'm using aren't finding me relevant articles.I have multiple keyboards of different providers that all do the same thing.I recently rebuilt my PC and have had an occasional issue where sometimes the keyboard will stop...
  7. Random keys stop working on laptop keyboard

Random keys stop working on laptop keyboard: Hello all I am at my wits end with an issue on my Dell XPS 13 7390 2 in 1 running Windows 10 Home 20H2. From time to time the { key/symbol stops working. Unfortunately I notice this very quickly as I do a lot of programming and the curly bracket symbol is a very common...
  8. Keyboard randomly stopped working

Keyboard randomly stopped working: My built in laptop keyboard stopped working after the computer randomly turned off by itself. (Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad). I have tried: Uninstalling drivers and scanning for hardware changes to reinstall them. Entering safe mode (computer wouldn’t even start in safe...
  9. Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response: Ok, so recently I found my Toshiba Satellite laptop keyboard sometimes stops working. Nothing at all. The number lock light stays on if it is on but no response from any of the keys....This happens sometimes at boot but sometimes it happens randomly after a successful boot....
  10. Keyboard stops working randomly

Keyboard stops working randomly: Hi. Recently, I've been experiencing some keyboard problems. The issue occurs at random times, and I've tried updating the drivers. I am certain that this is a software/driver problem, as opposed to a hardware/mechanical problem, as the keyboard starts working fine right...