Windows 10: My laptop seems to have a bad sector

Discus and support My laptop seems to have a bad sector in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop with windows 10 Home takes a long time to process . I can see my desktop but I need to wait a long time to process like clicking browser or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lichinghwee, Dec 29, 2018.

1. My laptop seems to have a bad sector

My laptop with windows 10 Home takes a long time to process . I can see my desktop but I need to wait a long time to process like clicking browser or apps. I already checked errors from windows 10 error checking but it doesn't work.

:)

lichinghwee, Dec 29, 2018

2. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Dec 29, 2018
  3. BAD SECTORS ON HDD, REFORMAT AND REINSTALL W10 FREE UPGRADE

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with the response to our questions.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps. Remove your external Hard drive and perform the steps on your system:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.

• In the command prompt window, type
      “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.

• Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.

• Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.
    Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the
    data available on that sector might b
    e lost.

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 29, 2018
  4. My laptop seems to have a bad sector

hard disk bad sector repair in Windows 10

Hi Mohqasim,

Before proceeding further, please answer few queries.

1. What is the make, and model of the Computer?

2. What is the complete error message/code you receive?

As per the description, I understand that there could be some bad sector in the hard disk.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the below steps to run the check disk, and check.

1. Press Windows + X, select Command prompt(Admin).

2. Type the following command, and hit Enter.

chkdsk /r/f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Please let us know if the issue got fixed or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

My laptop seems to have a bad sector

1. My laptop seems to have a bad sector - Similar Threads - laptop seems bad

2. Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?: This might be a dumb question but I'm just really curious that I can't sleep at night, Is this okay to have this thousands of bad sector on my SSD? And it says that 35 of them was recovered. If I continue using HDD regenerator, Can it still fix my SSD or Should I buy a new...
  3. Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?: This might be a dumb question but I'm just really curious that I can't sleep at night, Is this okay to have this thousands of bad sector on my SSD? And it says that 35 of them was recovered. If I continue using HDD regenerator, Can it still fix my SSD or Should I buy a new...
  4. Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  6. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  7. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  8. Help With Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help With Bad Sectors: I've been having some problems with my hard drive, and I need some help. I need to know if there is a way to fix or delete the bad sectors and clone the drive to a new one (tried a few cloning softwares but none work). Another note is that when I try chkdsk the ETA keeps...
  9. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....
  10. My laptop seems to have a bad sector

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop seems to have a bad sector: My laptop with windows 10 Home takes a long time to process . I can see my desktop but I need to wait a long time to process like clicking browser or apps. I already checked errors from windows 10 error checking but it doesn't work. 124346