Windows 10: My laptop shuts down after playing games for a while

Discus and support My laptop shuts down after playing games for a while in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since I have upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop, it can't run games for more than about 40 minutes. This thing didn't happen when I had windows 7. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by David_Dan, Apr 10, 2020.

1. David_Dan Win User

My laptop shuts down after playing games for a while

Since I have upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop, it can't run games for more than about 40 minutes. This thing didn't happen when I had windows 7. I think this is an overheating issue and from what I remember, on windows 7 I had to do some settings to solve this problem. Any suggestions?

:)

David_Dan, Apr 10, 2020
  2. Nexaddo Win User

MSI GT783R laptop shuts down when playing games

hi everone.

for the past week my MSI GT783R gaming laptop have been shutting down when playing games.
    after starting a game within a minute or 2, the laptop will shut itself off without warning, then start-up again.
    after that it usually shuts off again mid-boot or just after it loaded windows.

a few things i have noticed and tried:
    1) it only happens when the AC charger is plugged in, both when battery is hooked to the laptop or not.
    2) GPU and CPU temps are below 80c when the shut down happens
    3) i already suspected an overheating issue, opened up the laptop, cleaned both CPU and GPU and their heatsinks + fan and applied new thermal paste (Arctic MX-4).
    4) tried using a different AC charger, from my brothers GT780DXR laptop.
    5) i formatted my pc and did a clean windows 7 64-bit install.

despite all of the steps above the issue yet remains.
    i scoured google for the past week with no luck.

please help me!

thanks in advance

Nexaddo, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 10, 2020
  4. lZKoce Win User

Laptop shuts down when playing games

Do you happen to have some old/new cooling pad? May be try playing with it under the laptop for a while and see if it shuts down again. Your rig is specifically designed and labelled as a "gaming" laptop. It's supposed to be loaded up with games. I am thinking, it should be able to handle the load. Where do you keep the PSU brick? On the floor? on the bed? On carpet? Do you game on a desk or put the laptop on your lap?

I had mine shut down regularly when playing, but mine is business class. It's not supposed to handle such temperatures. Lenovo's driver "capps"my GPU at 200mhz, so it doesn't go over 50 degrees. But when I make fresh install and put only nVidia drivers, it runs at 660mhz and easily goes over 80 degrees without supervision when gaming.

lZKoce, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

1. My laptop shuts down after playing games for a while - Similar Threads - laptop shuts down

2. So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game: So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game. I have a Gigabyte Aorus 15P i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16gb ram. It doesn't shut down mid game but rather after exiting the game while steam is trying to sync. It used to happen with Bioshock 1 and 2 and I just powered through...
  3. So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game: So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game. I have a Gigabyte Aorus 15P i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16gb ram. It doesn't shut down mid game but rather after exiting the game while steam is trying to sync. It used to happen with Bioshock 1 and 2 and I just powered through...
  4. My laptop shuts down while playing certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop shuts down while playing certain games: I'm using a 4 year old gaming laptop without batteries because it died. When I play specific games like Rainbow 6 Siege or Mount and Blade Bannerlord my laptop shuts down completely. But when I play Monster Hunter World I think it's a more demanding game than R6S and M&B it...
  5. My laptop shuts down while playing certain games

My laptop shuts down while playing certain games: I'm using a 4 year old gaming laptop without batteries because it died. When I play specific games like Rainbow 6 Siege or Mount and Blade Bannerlord my laptop shuts down completely. But when I play Monster Hunter World I think it's a more demanding game than R6S and M&B it...
  6. My laptop keeps shutting down while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop keeps shutting down while gaming: Hello, I have an ROG Strix. I've had it for about 1 year and I never had an issue; however, recently, whenever I am playing certain games Victoria 3 and BG3 my computer shuts off without warning nor error message. I thought it might be a graphics card driver issue since mine...
  7. My laptop keeps shutting down while gaming

My laptop keeps shutting down while gaming: Hello, I have an ROG Strix. I've had it for about 1 year and I never had an issue; however, recently, whenever I am playing certain games Victoria 3 and BG3 my computer shuts off without warning nor error message. I thought it might be a graphics card driver issue since mine...
  8. PC Shutting down while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Shutting down while playing games: My PC will randomly start shutting down when I'm playing most games Rocket League, Rust, Payday3, Cult of the Lamb. I tried troubleshooting with EventViewer to see any problems but the only reports I get are DistributedCOM events which seemingly don't mean anything. I'm...
  9. PC Shutting down while playing games

PC Shutting down while playing games: My PC will randomly start shutting down when I'm playing most games Rocket League, Rust, Payday3, Cult of the Lamb. I tried troubleshooting with EventViewer to see any problems but the only reports I get are DistributedCOM events which seemingly don't mean anything. I'm...
  10. PC randomly shuts down while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC randomly shuts down while playing games: I got a brand new HP Omen 30L 3 months ago, and I've loved it except for an extremely annoying issue - after 5-10 minutes of running a game the display and keyboard will just shut off, but the fans will stay on. I'm pretty sure it is a problem with either the GPU or the power...