Windows 10: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

Discus and support My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by youssef bahr, Mar 8, 2023.

1. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

:)

youssef bahr, Mar 8, 2023

2. Laptop dies every time it goes to sleep on battery.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description provided, it looks like you are facing an issue with Power plan settings “Sleep mode” on Windows 10.

You can adjust how long your computer waits before sleeping or hibernating—or prevent it from turning itself off altogether. But be careful. On a battery powered laptop, inhibiting sleep or hibernation can result in data loss if the battery dies.

First I suggest you to run the power troubleshooter and check if it helps:

Run the Power troubleshooter which is located under
    Find and Fix Problems in the Control Panel. You can open Control Panel by typing in "control" in the
    Run window which is opened by pressing the
    Windows key and R key together

If the issue persist.

Here's how to prevent your computer from entering a power-saving state:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • And then click on Power options.
    • On the left pan select choose when to turn of the display.
    • Under turn of the display select
      Never
    • Under put the computer to sleep select Never

I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

Power plans: frequently asked questions

Windows help & learning

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Mar 8, 2023
  3. Laptop dies every time it goes to sleep on battery.

Updated to Windows 10 a few days ago. It seems to be working fine, but every time I close the lid or leave it open for long enough that it goes to sleep, the screen just dies. The power button remains lit, but the PC is just completely unresponsive. I
    have to just hold the power button until the laptop turns off, and then turn it back on again. Any suggestions?

IsaacEdwards, Mar 8, 2023
  4. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep (both manually and by going idle), it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue (between the dotted lines):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for the past week or so, whenever I put my computer to sleep manually or when it goes to sleep for being idle based on my power settings, it just turns off completely instead of going to sleep.

I've tried Googling this and most sites offer "solutions" to try, such as this page: Computer Shuts Down When Put to Sleep: 5 Ways to Fix it . Most of these pages suggest that a main culprit for this is that the Intel Management Engine Interface needs to be updated in Device Manager. However, I have an AMD processor and this IMEI is not there.

I've tried pretty much any solution I can find on these sites, including:

• Checking my Power Settings; settings are set to Screen turn off after 15 minutes and Sleep after 30 minutes.
    • Update IMEI; as mentioned, I do not have this option.
    • Make sure Power Saving mode is enabled in BIOS; I looked in my BIOS and could not find this option anywhere. Here's all the Power options supposedly in my BIOS: https://i.imgur.com/eflGfXe.jpg (there was one more called Package Power Limit Control set to Auto)
    • Run the Windows Power troubleshooter; This didn't have any results.
    • Run Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report in Command Prompt; This scan report did say there were some issues with 'USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend' but it specifically states "Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping."
    Not really sure what else to do here. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. System specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Mobo: ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Plus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (end Reddit post)

The only response I got was someone telling me to open Command Prompt and type in powercfg –restoredefaultschemes , and gave me a webpage with other powercfg commands. I ran powercfg –restoredefaultschemes and it solved the issue... for about a week. It has since started going it again. I've ran the command again and its not helping. Sometimes it goes to sleep but most times it shuts down.

I looked at some of the other powercfg commands and I ran /systempowerreport to see if it would tell me anything. I've attached screenshots because it's a little beyond my knowledge of what to make of this report. As you can see, sometimes instead of going into Sleep, there is an 'Abnormal Shutdown'. I looked in the report at each of the Abnormal Shutdowns but I don't know what it means. The number next to "SystemSleepTransitionsToOn" is is "1" or "3" for most of them, "27" for one of them.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks!

My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies 50ef5f96-485b-4144-ab98-d1227dfcf6de?upload=true.jpg

MrPayson-[xboxvenue], Mar 8, 2023
Thema:

My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

1. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies - Similar Threads - laptop turns off

2. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: my laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery is dead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/782d4191-7f46-415a-aaf8-6c78d4b9820a
  3. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: my laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery is dead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/782d4191-7f46-415a-aaf8-6c78d4b9820a
  4. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  5. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  6. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  7. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  8. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

9. Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse: Hello. Ever since one of the more recent windows updates my laptop (Lenovo) does not go to sleep when I close the lid or leave for a few minutes. It is set to 'sleep' in Settings (30 mins on battery and 60 minutes when plugged in) but if I leave for just a few minutes it...
  10. tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

in Windows 10 Support
    tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen: I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity. Touching the screen should light it up immediately. All this worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1. After the move to Win10,...