Windows 10: My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes.

Discus and support My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is fairly new behavior. I had changed power options to turn off the screen from 2 hours down to 1 hour when this began. What have I done wrong?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kreli2ec, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kreli2ec Win User

My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes.

This is fairly new behavior. I had changed power options to turn off the screen from 2 hours down to 1 hour when this began. What have I done wrong?

I only use the laptop plugged in so I didn't change the battery part of the power option.

:)

kreli2ec, Dec 6, 2017

2. My laptop sleep 3 min and under

But my laptop settings is 10 minute turn off screen and sleep is 15 minutes. But after 3 minutes it sleep itself without turning off the screen first. I hate my laptop sleep quickly because i have lot of work. So i set it on 10 minutes. But why my laptop
    sleep itself under 3 minutes?

RendellSibal, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Turning Off ScreenWindows 10 on Dell Inspiron 14Z laptop. I set the screen to go off after 1 minute when plugged in. It never goes off.

Thank you for your reply.

Answers to your questions:

All computers are running W10.

1.) Turning off the screen on my wife's Dell Inspiron 1525 after 15 minutes works perfectly. My Dell desktop XPS 400 and my Dell Inspiron 14z have never worked at all.

2.) Yes, I have tried 10 and 15 minutes on my desktop and my laptop. Neither has ever worked to turn off the screen.

3.) a week ago I set my wife's laptop to turn the screen off after 15 minutes; works great. I first tried setting both my desktop and my laptop to turn the screen off 2 days ago. Neither has ever worked.

Current Power & Sleep Settings:

My Dell XPS 400 desktop: Turn screen off = 15 minutes; Go to sleep = Never

My Dell Inspiron 14z = On battery turn screen off = 5 minutes; Go to sleep = 5 minutes. (It's always plugged in.)

My Dell Inspiron 14z = Plugged in turn screen off = 15 minutes; Go to sleep = Never.

Hope that helps.

CraigHamiltonJr, Dec 6, 2017
  4. mb1280 Win User

Look at the drop-down menus in the advanced settings to the left

mb1280, Dec 6, 2017
  5. dmholt57 Win User
    What power plan are you using, High Performance, Balanced? Look in the power plan profile to change the advanced power settings. You will find settings for display, adapter, etc., if it says 3 minutes change it by clicking on it and using up or down arrows.
    My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes. [​IMG]

dmholt57, Dec 6, 2017
  6. kreli2ec Win User
    Putting my power plan to balanced seems to have resolved my problem.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
    Richard

kreli2ec, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes. - Similar Threads - laptop turns off

2. My laptop screen turns off after 5 minute so how to increase screen turn off time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop screen turns off after 5 minute so how to increase screen turn off time: My laptop screen turns off after 5 minute so how to increase screen turn off time? Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-screen-turns-off-after-5-minute-so-how/bb7934ef-41a0-417a-9b99-d668fb255961
  3. My laptop screen turns off after 5 minute so how to increase screen turn off time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop screen turns off after 5 minute so how to increase screen turn off time: My laptop screen turns off after 5 minute so how to increase screen turn off time? Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-screen-turns-off-after-5-minute-so-how/bb7934ef-41a0-417a-9b99-d668fb255961
  4. Blank blue screen when turn on computer, then after 2-3 minutes turn off by itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blank blue screen when turn on computer, then after 2-3 minutes turn off by itself: Hello, i yesterday installed new driver for my Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER, my PC worked fine, but today when I was working something on computer electricity shut down in my town. After electricity came back, i turned on PC and I had blank black screen, and it was loading...
  5. Blank blue screen when turn on computer, then after 2-3 minutes turn off by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank blue screen when turn on computer, then after 2-3 minutes turn off by itself: Hello, i yesterday installed new driver for my Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER, my PC worked fine, but today when I was working something on computer electricity shut down in my town. After electricity came back, i turned on PC and I had blank black screen, and it was loading...
  6. Blank blue screen when turn on computer, then after 2-3 minutes turn off by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Screen turn off in 2 minutes

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Screen turn off in 2 minutes: Hey,Every time I leave the room, even for 2 minutes windows is locked and the display is turning off.Dynamic lock is off; andDisplay settings are:Does some has a clue how to stop it? Win 10...
  8. Laptop takes 3 minutes to turn off after the screen is turned off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop takes 3 minutes to turn off after the screen is turned off.: Hello. I have a HP 15s-eq0005nv laptop. Since I bought this laptop 9 months ago, every time I get an update something goes wrong and "breaks". Recently I have been having a huge problem with this laptop. When I click to shut down my laptop the screen turns off normally, but...
  9. Lenovo laptop turning itself off after exactly 3 minutes.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lenovo laptop turning itself off after exactly 3 minutes.: Hello, I have recently updated my laptop to the newest version of Windows. Since i updated it, if i leave it idle for 3 minutes, it automatically shuts itself off completely, however all apps remain running. I checked every power saving function, all of them are turned...
  10. my laptop turns off every 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my laptop turns off every 15 minutes: I’ve set power options of my laptop running Windows 10 to never turn off but it started to turn off every 15 minutes. How can I fix it?...