Windows 10: My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is...

Discus and support My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I used to login using a password but all of a sudden the password field is gone. I have no alternate method of signing in. How do I fix this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by David Zekić, Feb 26, 2024.

1. My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is...

I used to login using a password but all of a sudden the password field is gone. I have no alternate method of signing in. How do I fix this?

:)

David Zekić, Feb 26, 2024
  2. AT777 Win User

Login password field not shown, cannot login after display ON when returning to laptop.

I'm still seeing this issue constantly, at least once a day. The problem seems caused at least indirectly if not directly by a deadlock in passport service which has a thread owning a critical section, while it itself appears to be waiting on an RPCSS ALPC
    call that is apparently never answered.

To recap my symptoms:

• My system works fine right after booting, password field is present and I can login no problem.
    • However, after sometime, the deadlock occurs and I start seeing eventvwr System messages indicating Passport Service terminated.
    • After I see that, I know if I lock the workstation, I will no longer receive a password field.
    • So the problem is not always present.
    • Also, I have two systems, a 5 year old VAIO which does *not* exhibit this problem, and a 1.5 year old (relative new system) MSI GT72S 6QD (search for "msi gt72s 6qd" to see specs) with fairly new hardware. Both systems laptops but it is only my newer MSI
      which exhibits the issue.
    • I have tried Refreshing the installation, and Clean Boot (disabling all non-built-in services, etc., disabling all startup items, the usual troubleshooting steps) without luck, problem still occurs.
    • When the problem occurs, no password field is presented after touching the keyword to turn on display etc., as described in this thread and others, and my eventvwr System log shows lots of Passport Service terminated events per what I mentioned above.
    • I'm wondering if this is a problem that affects select systems, perhaps due to some drivers or something, possibly third party or otherwise which are not disabled as part of Clean Boot steps. Clean Boot means following the steps at this url: How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support).
    • When I first boot my system, as mentioned, I can successfully login. I can lock my workstation, and re-login without issue until... as soon as I start seeing eventvwr messages about passport service terminated, I know with certainty, no doubt, that after
      I see that, if I lock my workstation, I will no longer be able to login. The next time I try to access the login screen, the password field will not be present. My only option at that point, and others have described, is to reboot. Then things start over.
      Refreshing does not fix the issue. Clean Boot does not hide the issue either.
    Hope this extra info helps. Thanks.

AT777, Feb 26, 2024
  3. Bree Win User
    Window 10 login password field missing, no power button

That's not the login screen in your screenshot, that look's like the Lock Screen to me. It's supposed to clear if you click anywhere on the screen (or press any key) to then reveal the login screen. Sometimes it appears to get stuck on the lock screen.

Apparently if you click-and-drag from the bottom of the screen to the top is may reveal the login screen...

No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

4. TIE
    tie Win User

My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is...

Can't Login - missing user/password field

Hello,

I'm having an issue that's preventing me from logging into my Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with Windows 10. Previously you could swipe your finger on the fingerprint scanner to both turn the computer on, and login. Since the Windows 10 upgrade, that was no longer supported, so the power button would be pressed, which would take you to the Windows login screen, at which point a finger swipe would handle the Windows login, and bring you to the desktop.

Yesterday, when trying to start up, at the Login screen, the fingerprint scan did nothing. On the rare occasion over the years when there'd be an issue with the fingreprint scanner, pressing a key would bring up the ability to enter the Windows password. However, when I tried to do so yesterday, it would just slightly magnify the background picture, now revealing the Internet, Accessability and Power buttons in the lower right, but nothing else. There were no Users listed in the middle, and no place to enter a password.

I've searched for hours for solutions, and have not come across many similar situations, which is unusual. I saw suggestions to hold Shift, then Restart in order to bring up the ability to boot in Safe Mode, but that doesn't work (even holding Shift throughout), it only brings you back to the login screen. Other suggestions all revolve around changing settings once into Windows, but I'm never able to get to the desktop.

I did make a recovery CD on another Thinkpad, which does get me to some "Troubleshooting" options. I have tried System Restore, to no avail, as well as Startup Repair. The first System Restore was able to bring it to a previous Restore Point of several days ago, but I still couldn't login. Now it will go through the motions and say that the Restore failed.

The little LED by the fingerprint scanner has only come up on a couple of reboots, which leads me to believe there's an issue with it. But in the past if there's been a problem (maybe the driver didn't load or something) Windows says it's having a problem and give the option of using a password. None of that this time. Alternatively it's as if the Users have been eliminated.

I'd greatly appreciate and suggestions.

-

Thema:

My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is...

1. My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is... - Similar Threads - laptop turns stuck

2. My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns on but is stuck on a login/welcome screen because the password field is...: I used to login using a password but all of a sudden the password field is gone. I have no alternate method of signing in. How do I fix this?...
  3. Laptop stuck at the welcoming screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck at the welcoming screen: My hp laptop has stuck on the welcoming screen,i have tried restarting it but its behaving the same how can i be helped https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-stuck-at-the-welcoming-screen/134b6b86-7afe-406e-979b-08e8407126dc
  4. Laptop stuck at the welcoming screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop stuck at the welcoming screen: My hp laptop has stuck on the welcoming screen,i have tried restarting it but its behaving the same how can i be helped https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-stuck-at-the-welcoming-screen/134b6b86-7afe-406e-979b-08e8407126dc
  5. Laptop stuck at the welcoming screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Stuck at Welcome Screen W/ No Login Prompt

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at Welcome Screen W/ No Login Prompt: Operating System==================Windows 10, I don’t think I did the most recent May 2021 update though.==================Ryzen 7 3700x CPUDescription of problem==================When I turn on my computer, I see the motherboard loading screen but the welcome screen appears...
  7. Stuck on welcome screen after password login or stuck on please wait before password login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on welcome screen after password login or stuck on please wait before password login: Just started happening after I restarted. No clue of what to do, tried scannow nothing tried deleting a ubisoft launcher. Nothing. submitted by /u/mixedmediums [link] [comments]...
  8. My pc is stuck on welcome screen after login

in Windows 10 Customization
    My pc is stuck on welcome screen after login: So i just got a new gpu/32gb ram max recommened/650W psu. My motherboard is H110M PRO VD PLUS by msi. Ive plugged every plug in properly, and done multiple checks to ensure that it wasnt my ignorance. The pc does turn on, but it goes straight to the windows homescreen, where...
  9. Laptop stuck in "Welcome screen"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop stuck in "Welcome screen": My Dell 2 in 1 laptop is stuck. Probably due to the most recent Windows update the laptop loops in the screen after logging in (with finger print) and is constantly displaying my name and the loading circle. Pushing the power button, even holding it, doesn't change a thing,...
  10. Windows 10 stuck at the login/welcome screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 stuck at the login/welcome screen: Hello, So yesterday I was reading some article from the NY Times (my navigator is Chrome), when out of the blue I get the spinning cursor. After 10 minutes, it wouldn't go away. So I decided to force shutdown my PC. I start it up again, and to my surprise, I can't get...