Windows 10: My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably

Discus and support My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have made no conscious input to do so, and actually have not given any app access to the camera. Windows would notify that the camera is turning on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TaiYeungSon, Sep 27, 2020.

1. My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably

I have made no conscious input to do so, and actually have not given any app access to the camera. Windows would notify that the camera is turning on and then a few seconds later it would turn off again by itself. It has been 3-4 times so far; is it possible I'm hitting a keyboard short cut by accident? If not, what could cause this and how can I prevent it from happening again?

:)

TaiYeungSon, Sep 27, 2020
  2. Terrypin Win User

Inexplicable restarts

Thanks for your patient help and analysis, zbook. I'll step through some of your suggestions over the next few days - there's a lot to do and some look a bit hairy! That is, for a PC that is working sweetly right now...

Meanwhile, as requested in the BSOD thread (sorry, I misunderstood and posted there by mistake), I've attached both ZIP files.
    --------------------
    One step I did try right away was to answer your question about whether my BIOS is up-to-date. I had no success at the AMI site but did get some info from this commercial site:

My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably [​IMG]

It was one of the '9' (I counted 10) listed here:

My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably [​IMG]

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Sep 27, 2020
  3. how do i turn on my hp laptop webcam.

Hello Marvis,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

This issue could occurred due to these reasons.

• Damaged webcam diver\software.
    • Due to incorrect webcam settings.
    • If webcam is damaged.
    Please follow the methods mentioned below.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run the Hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

a. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar
    and select Troubleshooting.

b. Select View all on the top left corner.

c. Click on Hardware and device troubleshooter.

d. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter

Also I suggest you to check if you are able to use the Webcam with the Camera app.

Method 2:

If you are able to access Camera app, follow the steps mentioned below:

• Open Camera app.
    • Press Windows key + C from your keyboard to open
      Charms bar.
    • Select Settings option.
    • Select Permissions option.
    • Turn on Allow this app to access your: Webcam and Microphone option.
    • Close the app.
    • Reopen the Camera app.
    • Connect your camera and then check how this app works.
    For reference: Camera app and webcams help

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Let us know if it helps. If you need further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 27, 2020
  4. WiIfred P Win User

My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably

install webcam on msi laptop

Hi 1papertiger,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about installing webcam on MSI laptops.

Most laptops have a built-in webcam on it, If it's not working, there's a problem with the driver or settings of it.

Step1: I request you to check for Hidden Devices in Device Manager. Please refer to these steps:

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

b. Click on View and select Show Hidden Devices.

c. Check for the webcam under Imaging Devices.

d. If the webcam is listed, then right-click on it and select Update Driver Software.

e. Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software and follow the prompted steps.

Step 2: Run the hardware troubleshooter and check if you receive any error messages.

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.

b. Click on it and click on Hardware and Sound.

c. Click on Hardware and Devices and follow the prompted steps.

If the laptop doesn't have a built-in webcam on it, you would need to purchase an external webcam, plug it on your laptop and driver will download automatically.

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably

1. My laptop webcam has been turning on and off inexplicably - Similar Threads - laptop webcam has

2. Defender has been turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender has been turned off: I received a notice that Microsoft Defender was turned off. I did not turn it off but want to turn it back on. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-has-been-turned-off/8f3a749c-2930-41b8-9e8f-1b0da370e64b
  3. Defender has been turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender has been turned off: I received a notice that Microsoft Defender was turned off. I did not turn it off but want to turn it back on. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-has-been-turned-off/8f3a749c-2930-41b8-9e8f-1b0da370e64b
  4. My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours.: My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours. I don't know much about computers, how can I get this to stop and be able to use my laptop. I have not attempted anything. Thanks so much....
  5. My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours.

My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours.: My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours. I don't know much about computers, how can I get this to stop and be able to use my laptop. I have not attempted anything. Thanks so much....
  6. My laptop Windows 10 has been updating , turning itself on and off for 16 hours.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Webcam turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Webcam turned off: my Webcam will not work despite privacy settings in Windows 10 being activated. So I cannot use Zoom with video on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webcam-turned-off/9c89406e-8dd8-4980-9e6f-d9d3f82af790
  8. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  9. Firewall has been turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall has been turned off: Good day I need some assistance. I have windows 10 64bit and im using avg antivirus. Everytime i stary up my p.c i keep getting a nitification that my firewall is deactivated. When i go to the notification panel to active my firewall it wont allow me to active, AVG...
  10. email app has been turned off

email app has been turned off: I can't turn the mail app back on - looks as though all has been lost? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/email-app-has-been-turned-off/0fcb707e-5125-4b72-91a9-c5a4610f3ba3