Windows 10: My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd

Discus and support My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So i bought i new ssd for my laptop and went ahead and changed it but when ever i try to boot it up it just says hard disk not installed but when ever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JammDB, Aug 4, 2021.

1. JammDB Win User

My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd

So i bought i new ssd for my laptop and went ahead and changed it but when ever i try to boot it up it just says hard disk not installed but when ever i change it to my old one it boots up normally but i am new to this so i don't know if i messed up or forgot to add something

:)

JammDB, Aug 4, 2021
  2. Xjoejoex Win User

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd [​IMG]

I would like to note that step 20 comes up with no files. Perhaps this could be the source of the issues?

Xjoejoex, Aug 4, 2021
  3. user33331 Win User
    Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2059129/bios-recognize-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.html

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, Aug 4, 2021
  4. My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd

Upgrading laptop hard drive to ssd

I'm upgrading my old Asus Q200e laptop's hard drive to a PNY SSD Page Not Found | pny.com , following this tutorial. (As an aside, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 due to a slight slowdown in boot times.) Aside from using different products than the ones listed in the tutorial, I've followed every step to the letter.

However, when I swapped out the HDD with the SSD, the computer does not recognize the new SSD as the boot drive. Instead, upon turning on the machine, the system goes into a strange BIOS-esque utility called "Aptio Setup Utility" that doesn't list the SSD at all. It does, however, list the boot manager from the old HDD I have plugged into a hard drive USB enclosure. I've tried looking up the answer online to no avail.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Charlie Gao, Aug 4, 2021
Thema:

My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd

1. My laptop won't boot up after upgrading ssd - Similar Threads - laptop won't boot

2. Laptop won't boot-up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Laptop won't boot-up: Hi, my Granddaughter's HP Stream laptop will not boot-up, I have tried the repair my computer facility, fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd, chkdsk, system restore, previous copy of windows unfortunately none of which work as I either get "unable to repair your computer" or the...
  3. SSD won't boot after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD won't boot after clone: Hi all, I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium Reflect to a new Samsung SSD. And it appeared to clone everything correctly. I then powered off my computer and swapped out the...
  4. Windows won't boot after Ram upgrade laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't boot after Ram upgrade laptop: Hi Everyone, I wonder if you all can help me with my issue. So basically I've recently bought a new DDR4 SO-DIMM for my ASUS Vivobook 15 and post installing the new ram, my system just won't boot Windows. It gets stuck at the "Starting Automatic Repair" page. But the BIOS...
  5. SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop: Hello, Recently, I had to quickly move from my house for a fiew days and I needed to have my files with me. The broblem is that my dekstop was not so easy to move. So, I got my SSD from which I boot and left. I then tried to plug it in to another computer-Laptop by...
  6. Asus TP200S laptop won't boot up after Windows upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asus TP200S laptop won't boot up after Windows upgrade.: Can someone please help. My Asus TP200S can not start Windows, after upgrading Windows 10. It says, "Attempting to recover installation" for about 1/3 of a second, then displays, "Undoing changes made to your computer..." for a few minutes, then it re-boots. It does this...
  7. Windows 10 won't boot up on Acer ssd laptop - save my files!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't boot up on Acer ssd laptop - save my files!: Hi all I have done everything I can do online and ive had no luck. Ive even called a local tech to try and fix the problem and even he could not access windows. He said the option I have is reinstalling windows. The error I get is - Error 0xc000021a. I have tried...
  8. Laptop Won't Boot Up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Won't Boot Up: Every time I login, a blue screen with this in it pops up: C:\ Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" After this, my laptop won't do anything. What can I do?...
  9. HP laptop won't boot up after restart

in Windows 10 Support
    HP laptop won't boot up after restart: All I simply did was try to reinstall Power DVD 16 and now it won't boot. Can't hit any of the F keys either. No matter what I hit, as soon as I turn it on, it goes to please wait and then keyboard selection and either troubleshoot or turn off your pc. Anybody have any ideas?...
  10. widows10 upgraded now my laptop won't boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    widows10 upgraded now my laptop won't boot up: hi guys, I am having issues with my Lenovo Tablet, it did an automatic update yesterday. Now when I switch on it goes into self checks and system restore fails every time, also diagnostics doesn't find the fault. I am at a loss as to how to proceed. However I have ordered...