Windows 10: My laptop won't factory reset, microsoft windows defender is also disabled

Discus and support My laptop won't factory reset, microsoft windows defender is also disabled in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This originally started when my windows defender noticed something. I went to check and do something, but it won't let me do anything at all. I click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KaylaHenriquez, Mar 25, 2020.

1. My laptop won't factory reset, microsoft windows defender is also disabled

This originally started when my windows defender noticed something. I went to check and do something, but it won't let me do anything at all. I click and nothing happens. It is also not letting me factory reset my laptop at all. Is there anything that can be done? I'm not techy so I don't know if it could be a virus disabling it? I have no idea what to do. Thank you.

:)

KaylaHenriquez, Mar 25, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

What the hell, windows defender?

Correct. This leaves me wondering if the update superseded gpedit settings, because these updates tend to reset a bunch of shit, or if the update broke/ignored that gpedit setting because there was some change to Windows Defender which doesn't respect gpedit changes.

Right. I'm a pretty careful user, and know how to avoid getting viruses. That's not to say I'm invulnerable or something unexpected might not happen sometime, but for me, it's more convenient to disable antivirus software than it is to have one running that constantly thinks my miner is a virus...

@Bill_Bright My problem with Microsoft is that I just want my computer to function the way I want it to. If I change settings, disable stuff, or even make changes Microsoft may think aren't particularly wise, such as disabling Defender, not using another antivirus software, and disabling UAC, I should be able to expect that it will function the same way tomorrow and 10 years from now, provided I don't make any changes myself.

3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Mar 25, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

My laptop won't factory reset, microsoft windows defender is also disabled

What the hell, windows defender?

So, a while back I disabled windows defender via gpedit. Come to find out it's running again, and telling me my miner is a "severe" threat, despite still being disabled in gpedit. There's a few new entries related to windows defender in gpedit that didn't used to be there before. I'm guessing this happened during the big spring update. UAC keeps becoming re-enabled somehow, as well. For now I have a shitty registry key that's supposed to disable windows defender instead, hopefully it works.

Damn, Microsoft. They were pushing users to upgrade to 10 so hard, even resorting to plain trickery to get it on as many machines as possible. Now not only is it doing hardcore data mining in the background, but it's changing settings all on its own to whatever Microsoft wants. One step closer to pushing me to Ubuntu or something. I'd already be there if I didn't think it would be an arduous task learning how to computer all over again while simultaneously breaking a lot of games, which is mostly what I use this computer for...

Bill Gates needs to go back to Microsoft just so he can kick all the guys responsible for w10 squarely in the nuts. /rant

Thema:

My laptop won't factory reset, microsoft windows defender is also disabled

1. My laptop won't factory reset, microsoft windows defender is also disabled - Similar Threads - laptop won't factory

2. My Windows Won't Load After Factory Reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Windows Won't Load After Factory Reset.: Hi,I was playing FIFA when mid match a cmd command was run. It said 'task ran successfully'. Then it said you will be logged out in 1 minute. It logged me out and my pc was infected with a ransomware Redeemer Ware. I didn't know what to do as the PC was expensive and I...
  3. My Windows Won't Load After Factory Reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows Won't Load After Factory Reset.: Hi,I was playing FIFA when mid match a cmd command was run. It said 'task ran successfully'. Then it said you will be logged out in 1 minute. It logged me out and my pc was infected with a ransomware Redeemer Ware. I didn't know what to do as the PC was expensive and I...
  4. Window 10 won't factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 10 won't factory reset: I discovered this problem when I attempted to adjust the Turn Windows features on or off and it was completely blank. I then tried to run sfc /scannow and that won't run either. I have done everything shown on this thread...
  5. Window 10 won't factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 10 won't factory reset: I discovered this problem when I attempted to adjust the Turn Windows features on or off and it was completely blank. I then tried to run sfc /scannow and that won't run either. I have done everything shown on this thread...
  6. Window 10 won't factory reset

7. How to disable the factory reset?

How to disable the factory reset?: Since I have non-admin users able to remove everything that I have setup with factory reset I would like to disable this. It is absurd, to have so many things setup and then a standard user can simply factory reset the computer and gain full access. So there are two things to...
  8. How to disable the factory reset?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable the factory reset?: Since I have non-admin users able to remove everything that I have setup with factory reset I would like to disable this. It is absurd, to have so many things setup and then a standard user can simply factory reset the computer and gain full access. So there are two things to...
  9. Factory Resetting my laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Factory Resetting my laptop?: The main issue is that my Lenovo laptop's speakers no longer work because a pseudo-IT Dude at my high school didn't actually know how to fix it and wound up using up even more space on my drive with who knows what. On top of that installed drivers that don't work. So:...
  10. Factory reset my laptop

Factory reset my laptop: [IMG]Hey all, I factory reset my laptop because i was going to be selling it to my brother and i wanted eveeytbing cleared off of it. Well, when i went to get it all ready for my brother i figured out im in an endless loop. The computer is telling me that it needs an update...