Windows 10: My license changed from RETAIL to OEM

Discus and support My license changed from RETAIL to OEM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! I have had my acer laptop for several years now. It was with Win 8 system, but I upgraded it for free to Win 10. I recently bought a new laptop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Max1660, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Max1660 Win User

My license changed from RETAIL to OEM

Hi!

I have had my acer laptop for several years now. It was with Win 8 system, but I upgraded it for free to Win 10. I recently bought a new laptop, so I wanted to know whether I can move my Windows license. To do this I checked type of license on acer slmgr -dli and it was RETAIL I even got photos. This way I knew I can transfer it, so I formatted acer's hard drive and installed windows on new laptop without entering the key in installator. When "activate Windows" monit appeared I entered the key I got from acer. Then I checked one more time type of license and now it's OEM. Why did it happen? Is it ok with the license rules?

:)

Max1660, Apr 9, 2021

2. Change Windows 10 license from OEM to retail?

Hi,

I intend to install Windows 10 on a new computer I'm building but I accidentally purchased an OEM version. I want to use a retail license so there is support. I can't return the OEM version to the store. Is there a way to change the license to a retail license?
    (I'd be willing to pay any price difference required, though It appears the cost of retail is basically the same as OEM)

Thanks!

jaydee77ca, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Change Windows 10 license from OEM to retail?

Hi Jay,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

Have you bought this license from Microsoft store or any other 3rd party store?

If you have bought this license from any 3rd party store, then you need to contact that particular store, to check for the options that, they have to offer.

I would like to inform you that, to change Windows 10 license from OEM to retail is practically impossible.

Let’s try to refer to the suggestions given by Andre Da Costa replied on June 18, 2015, to fix your issue.

Windows 10 Upgrade license OEM vs Full

Also, try to refer to the Microsoft blog article and check, if it works.

Licensing Logic: What's the difference between OEM, Retail and Volume Licenses?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechne...e-between-oem-retail-and-volume-licenses.aspx

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Apr 9, 2021
  4. My license changed from RETAIL to OEM

Oem and retail license

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.
    If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software
    to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software.
    Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre for Directly, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

My license changed from RETAIL to OEM

1. My license changed from RETAIL to OEM - Similar Threads - license changed RETAIL

2. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  3. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  4. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  6. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  7. Windows license turned went from Retail to OEM

Windows license turned went from Retail to OEM: I have a dell computer, when I had checked the first time about my license it was retail, but some time later, I don't know when it turned into an OEM? Any help?...
  8. Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license

Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license: Is the Windows 10 USB product on the microsoft store an OEM license or a Retail license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-oem-license-or-retail-license/46f89348-83e1-42ae-9596-da45958257ca
  9. Trying to upgrade from OEM license to retail license without success

Trying to upgrade from OEM license to retail license without success: I have bought a new laptop that comes with an OEM license preinstalled. I want to transfer the retail license that I had on my old pc to the new pc but I get an activation error when I try to enter the activation key. I also have removed the old pc from my account to be sure...
  10. License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop: My children (students) are in need of a newer laptop. I want to transfer the complete installation (system backup) of their current laptops to their new ones. I bought one laptop (laptop A) with a 'Win 10 RTM Core OEM:DM' license (Windows 10 Home). I want to transfer the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows convert retail to oem

2. convert retail license to oem