Windows 10: My License Won't Transfer? New Computer - Old One Died

Discus and support My License Won't Transfer? New Computer - Old One Died in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I just finished assembling my new computer since my old one bit the seriously big one, and when I tried to activate my license it said it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KorianaD, Apr 24, 2020.

1. KorianaD Win User

My License Won't Transfer? New Computer - Old One Died

Hello,

I just finished assembling my new computer since my old one bit the seriously big one, and when I tried to activate my license it said it could not do it. This is a new hard drive as well, and almost all of the parts are new as well. Why won't the license port over like it should? I paid for it, it should work regardless if I swap components and such out as they die. Please help, I used the listed support advice and the troubleshooter would not accept my selection of my previous device for nothing. I need to get this resolved asap.

:)

KorianaD, Apr 24, 2020

2. Transferring Windows 10 Pro license to a new computer

I built a new computer. The old one died. I have a license for a fill Windows 10 Pro install that I want to transfer to my new computer. I'm getting the error that this license is already in use on another computer.

How do I solve this?

anderson115, Apr 24, 2020
  3. dan00500 Win User
    Transfer Windows 10 license from old dead computer to new computer?

I have an old computer that died, which was running Windows 10. I have another computer that my dad gifted to me, but I want to transfer the license from my old computer to the gifted computer. Unfortunately, I don't know where I stored the old Windows
    Product Key. I've read about topics that confirm it's permitted to transfer Windows 10 licenses, and read others about reactivating a license when a hardware change occurs. My situation seems to be a hybrid of those. So, I'm asking for help to thread the
    eye of this needle instead.

dan00500, Apr 24, 2020
  4. My License Won't Transfer? New Computer - Old One Died

Transfer from old computer to a new one

What do you mean by everything?

And you don't say from what OS to what OS

You can't transfer programs; they have to be reinstalled.

As for the operating system license:

If the Laptop/Computer came with the Windows Operating System preinstalled (Dell, HP, Acer, etc) , that Product Key that came with the Laptop/Computer is for the preinstalled OEM License and is non-transferable.

The OEM License/Product Key (preinstalled Operating Systems on Dell, HP, etc machines) is tied to the first machine it is installed on and dies when that machine dies.

The above rule also applies to OEM System Builders Licenses.

Retail Operating System License, that you buy and install yourself, are allowed to be transferred to another machine.

But Retail Licenses can also only be installed on one machine at any particular time.

Bill Smithers, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

My License Won't Transfer? New Computer - Old One Died

1. My License Won't Transfer? New Computer - Old One Died - Similar Threads - License Won't Transfer

2. My old computer died. I want to transfer my Windows 10 license to the new computer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My old computer died. I want to transfer my Windows 10 license to the new computer.: HiMy old computer suddenly died. I have a windows 10 license and would like to transfer my license to the new one I'm buying.All the manuals require me to operate my previous computer before transferring the license but that is not possible since the computer is not...
  3. My old computer died. I want to transfer my Windows 10 license to the new computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My old computer died. I want to transfer my Windows 10 license to the new computer.: HiMy old computer suddenly died. I have a windows 10 license and would like to transfer my license to the new one I'm buying.All the manuals require me to operate my previous computer before transferring the license but that is not possible since the computer is not...
  4. My old computer died. I want to transfer my Windows 10 license to the new computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring license key from an old computer to the new one.

Transferring license key from an old computer to the new one.: I have an old HP laptop which I upgraded from Win 7 to Windows 10 and wonder if I can transfer the license key from that laptop before recycling it, to my desktop PC I run with a digital license....
  6. Transferring Microsoft from an old computer to a new one

Transferring Microsoft from an old computer to a new one: Hi, I was hoping someone could help with moving my copy from Windows 10 to a new computer I'm looking to get a new build a new computer for University which I've not done before and noticed that I need a copy of Windows to operate properly, I don't want to buy another copy...
  7. Transferring license to new computer?

Transferring license to new computer?: So I noticed I can change my product key. I am currently using windows 10 home, but I can get windows 10 education for free thru university, and I heard it is better than windows 10 home. Would I be able to change the product key to the one for windows 10 education, and then...
  8. How do I transfer my license from an old computer to my new one

How do I transfer my license from an old computer to my new one: how do I transfer my license from an old computer to my new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-my-license-from-an-old-computer/df3f59b2-7b9d-4e6e-a4b9-c57cff398e15"
  9. Transferring license to new computer

Transferring license to new computer: Activation is a popular topic, but perhaps my situation is slightly different from other situations. I have been using an HP XW4400, but when Windows 8 first became available in October of 2012 I performed a clean install. (This was the $40 offer for the Pro version.) When...
  10. New computer: transfer license

New computer: transfer license: My antique pc died today and I'm now working on a new HP Pavilion which came with Win 10 Home. I have a recent iso DVD of Win 10 Pro and plan on installing it. How can I transfer my license? 86181