Windows 10: My location settings are greyed out.

Discus and support My location settings are greyed out. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am trying to turn on my location, but my choices are greyed out so I can't change them even though I am logged on as administrator. How can I turn... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by FIREBALL451, Apr 30, 2022.

1. My location settings are greyed out.

I am trying to turn on my location, but my choices are greyed out so I can't change them even though I am logged on as administrator. How can I turn these on or am I missing something?

:)

FIREBALL451, Apr 30, 2022

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 30, 2022
  3. Karen Her Win User
    Location setting

Hi,

This issue could occur due to incorrect location settings or it would depend on your IP address. We suggest you to check the location settings of your PC, and check if it helps. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start button, and select Settings.
    • Go to Privacy, and choose Location.
    • Make sure that the Location service is On.

If issue persists, then it has something to do with your IP address. It’s because the location detected depends on the location set on your IP address.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Apr 30, 2022
  4. My location settings are greyed out.

Location services is greyed and unchangeable from location settings after update

Hello Anirudh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are facing issue with location settings on your computer. You are unable to activate location settings. You have also mentioned that you are unable to access the location settings. It's greyed out unclickable in the notifications
    buttons.

I would suggest you to try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

Try the steps provided in the thread mentioned below and see if it helps you to resolve the issue.

Can't turn on location service

Method 2

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type control userpasswords2 and click OK
    • Click on add under users tab
    • Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account
    • Click on Local account
    • Choose a name for the account
    • Add password if you want to
    • Apply and click OK.

For more clarification you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Additional information:

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows 10 location service and privacy: FAQ

Do get back and let us know the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 30, 2022
Thema:

My location settings are greyed out.

1. My location settings are greyed out. - Similar Threads - location settings are

2. Open file location is greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open file location is greyed out: Hello. When I right click any shortcut option to "Open file location" I see it greyed out. How to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-file-location-is-greyed-out/272942cb-c66f-41e0-bb67-a27b678f236d
  3. Open file location is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open file location is greyed out: Hello. When I right click any shortcut option to "Open file location" I see it greyed out. How to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-file-location-is-greyed-out/272942cb-c66f-41e0-bb67-a27b678f236d
  4. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location access is greyed out: Same issue in W10Pro and W11Pro.Location access is off and greyed out.In W10 it tells me "Some of my settings are managed by my organization" However both PCs are mine self-build and I have Admin rights.W10 gives me 9 configured update policies set on the device Source:...
  5. Location access is greyed out

Location access is greyed out: Same issue in W10Pro and W11Pro.Location access is off and greyed out.In W10 it tells me "Some of my settings are managed by my organization" However both PCs are mine self-build and I have Admin rights.W10 gives me 9 configured update policies set on the device Source:...
  6. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. My location settings are greyed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My location settings are greyed out.: I am trying to turn on my location, but my choices are greyed out so I can't change them even though I am logged on as administrator. How can I turn these on or am I missing something?...
  8. My location settings are greyed out.

My location settings are greyed out.: I am trying to turn on my location, but my choices are greyed out so I can't change them even though I am logged on as administrator. How can I turn these on or am I missing something?...
  9. Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked

Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked: In attempting to set up Cortana, I get the requirement that location services must be turned on. That is greyed out (which makes sense on a desktop with no location capability). But it is then impossible to proceed with Cortana. Duncan 19128
  10. Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location

Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location: I have just bought a new computer with Win10 V.1607. I am trying to understand what is all very new to me. In Privacy, Settings/Location Location is turned on and I assume Location History is as well however the option to turn Cortana on or off under Choose Apps......... is...