Windows 10: My log on screen ONLY shows a deleted user's account. No other sign in options mine and...

Discus and support My log on screen ONLY shows a deleted user's account. No other sign in options mine and... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; First off, I'm not really that savvy with computers, just the basics. That being said, my wife used the computer last. When I logged in hurriedly... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JeffAL, May 12, 2020.

1. JeffAL Win User

My log on screen ONLY shows a deleted user's account. No other sign in options mine and...

First off, I'm not really that savvy with computers, just the basics. That being said, my wife used the computer last. When I logged in hurriedly yesterday, it was rejected and for some reason, the screen prompted me to the screen with hers as the ONLY option to sign in. Mine and two other users did not show up as usual on the bottom left of the screen. I restarted many times but on each occasion, the same result: hers ONLY was the option.

So, I signed in to her account and me being the administrator, deleted her user account thinking that I'd restore it back later and hoping that it would somehow not show up any more and show different users options instead. However, the log on screen keeps coming back to her deleted account and since it already has been deleted, her password no longer works. Tried many, many times to go on safe mode with the power restart while holding shift key to do some corrective troubleshooting options but to no avail. My desktop is out of data storage so system restore and reset pc with files saved are not my options.

To sum it all up, I'm stuck with a deleted users account on the screen and can no longer access my desktop. I'd greatly appreciate any help you can assist me with.

:)

JeffAL, May 12, 2020

2. Sign on screen shows 2 users but mine in the only account on there.

I am having an issue since I reset my PC.

Basically at the sign in screen it shows 2 users. One is mine and the other is called ADMINISTRATOR.

When I turn my machine on it tries to default to the ADMINISTRATOR account and informs me that the password in incorrect. I can then select my account and it logs me in using Windows Hello and I can use the PC normally.

However if I have to restart then I again have the same problem.

I have looked in the USER ACCOUNTS section of the Control Panel and it only lists one account, which is mine, so I do not understand where this other account has come from.

My question is what is this other account and how do I either disable it or set my account to be the default account.

MarkFisher2, May 12, 2020
  3. Microsoft account Sign in option under user account is not working

Hi NAvneet.

Many thanks for your help. But this didn't work.

Should I try the below procedure. Someone has suggested this method to similar query in other thread. Pls suggest:

Please follow the steps to enable the build in administrator and check if it helps:

• Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
    • Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in
      Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you can’t get there, skip to the next major step.
      • If you can get to a CMD window, enable the built-in administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes
      • Then restart and sign-in as the Administrator account.
      • Once in the Administrator account, open Regedit
        and go to the following key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the desktop.
      • Then continue with step 4 below.
    • Use boot media to access the recovery command prompt.
      • Start Regedit.
      • Select the HKEY_USERS key.
      • Click File, Load Hive. and go up in the file system to This PC. Then browse to this file and then click Open:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
      • When prompted, name it “def”
      • Select this key:

HKEY_USERS\def\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the C:\ drive.
    • Find the subkey under StoredIdentities that matches the name of the Microsoft Account.
    • Delete the key.
    • If you loaded the offline registry hive, go back up in the tree on the left and select “def”. Then click File,
      Unload hive. This option will only be available if “def” is selected.
    • Restart the PC and test sign-in.
    • Once done, you may need to Verify the account in Settings, Accounts in order for it to be fully usable in Windows again.
    • If you used the built-in Administrator account to resolve the issue, please return it to the default disabled state to help keep the Computer secure. To do so follow the steps:
      net user administrator /active:no
    Please create a new administrator account using the Microsoft Account and check.

Shobhitjain2005, May 12, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

My log on screen ONLY shows a deleted user's account. No other sign in options mine and...

Deleting second user account that isn't showing in User Accounts

'Sam' is probably not an actual separate account. It's either a phantom from setting 'Sam' to auto sign in, or it's a local account alternative to signing in with your MS account. I don't use an MS account to sign in, so I can't test this. Netplwiz is the usual culprit.

Duplicate user name at login

2 User names on logon screen all of a sudden

For the MS account issue, see...

Win10 has 2 log in options. Account settings shows only 1.

Thema:

1. My log on screen ONLY shows a deleted user's account. No other sign in options mine and... - Similar Threads - log screen shows

2. Other User Log In Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Other User Log In Screen: Hello, I edited the registry Windows 10 Home OS in order to remove the previous owner's name from the log in screen. The registry edit worked but I regret doing it. The laptop has a Celeron chip and literally took hours for the computer to complete the task. Even worse, now...
  3. Other User Log In Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Other User Log In Screen: Hello, I edited the registry Windows 10 Home OS in order to remove the previous owner's name from the log in screen. The registry edit worked. But big mistake. It has a Celeron chip and literally took hours for the computer to just get back to a log in screen. Even worse, now...
  4. "Other user" button/option is not showing at logon screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    "Other user" button/option is not showing at logon screen.: Hello,When I sign out or reboot, I am not seeing the "Other user" option or button at the bottom left. I have tried many things including what is in this article and it doesn't...
  5. User Accounts not showing, Showing only other users

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Accounts not showing, Showing only other users: i updated my lap with windows 10 update assistant after updated it restarted and it showing only other users while trying my user name and password it shows invalid user name and password [IMG][IMG][IMG]Please respond me with a possible solution as soon as possible...
  6. Sign in option is not there in user accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sign in option is not there in user accounts: Hi I want to sign in using fingerprint into windows.But I cant find the sign in option.Is there any other way to fix this?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/sign-in-option-is-not-there-in-user-accounts/8f610f11-3bfe-4c4e-9d38-f9985de1d75e"
  7. log in screen doesn't have other user option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    log in screen doesn't have other user option: I have a Dell that my son set up and used, and now it is mine to use. He got another computer. But when I try to log on, the start up screen only has Matthew as the user, and no option to change to other user. Please advise...
  8. Other user only login option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Other user only login option: I recently reset my PC and when its done resetting it skips the whole entier setup page and shoots me straight to the home page with the only option to login as “other user.” No I cannot acess really anything while shift left clicking on restart besides completly wiping my...
  9. Unable to log into other accounts from sign-in screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to log into other accounts from sign-in screen: I recently upgrade two home computers to Windows 10. One from Windows 8.1 and one from Windows 7. The windows 7 upgrade has been flawless so far. On the other machine (previously Windows 8.1) I have two accounts. One is the administrator account, which I use, and one is my...
  10. Other User is the only account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Other User is the only account: Hi, its no great loss, I backed everything up. but my PC, I was using for basic testing and web stuff, is now not letting me in, I did the free upgrade, all good. decided, what the hell, lets reset the lot. (using the delete everything option) Windows 10 boots fine, but...