Windows 10: My main partition is too small and I cannot install any OS system

Discus and support My main partition is too small and I cannot install any OS system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello from the Netherlands, I wanted to make a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu on my new laptop (Dell XPS15). So, I started following the usual process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LNKA, Dec 3, 2019.

1. LNKA Win User

My main partition is too small and I cannot install any OS system

Hello from the Netherlands,

I wanted to make a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu on my new laptop (Dell XPS15).

So, I started following the usual process described in many tutorials on the web, which start by shrinking the C: partition. I wanted to have more space for the Linux System, so I deliberately let the C: partition with a small amount of space comparing to the new unallocated partition (for the future Linux System). I continued the tutorial, by disable Secure Boot feature, mode AHCI, etc. in the BIOS.

Then, while I restarted my laptop, I received an error from Dell/Windows, which analyzed my system and asked me to recover my laptop in order to solve the problem. I think it comes from the lack of space due to the resize of the partition. However, when I restarted my laptop again, Windows 10 had been deleted with the problem remaining unsolved. I still tried to install Ubuntu with my bootable usb stick, but I can only "Try Ubuntu" and not installing the system because I have less than 8.6GB on my partition.

Now, I don't have any OS systems. I cannot install any system because the space of the main partition is too small. And I don't know how to reset/resize the partitions in the BIOS.

I realized my mistake, I am feeling very stupid and I really need some help.

Cheers,

LNKA

:)

LNKA, Dec 3, 2019
  2. Alan B Win User

"Windows 10 couldn't be installed - we could update the system reserved partition"

I think you mean "could not update", not "could".

Suggestions:

• Disconnect any other hard drives.
    • Run chkdsk /f on the System Reserved partition. You'll have to do this from the CMD prompt in Repair Mode.
    • Initially there were reports of some System Reserved partitions being too small for the upgrade. Search for details if the first two suggestions fail.

Alan B, Dec 3, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 3, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

How best to partition Hard disk with two os?

Windows 7 is best installed itself with 2 partitions...one small 1GB or so one for the "system" files, and then another for the rest of the OS. Not too sure about how big that system partition is...I cannot remember exactly, and am not on a Win7 box at the moment.

So, I would have 5 partitions... one small one for Win7's system files, 2x20GB or so ones for the OS's, and then two seperate partitions(approx 30GB each) for programs, etc, for each OS.

I would then buy another drive for music, video, etc. *Wink My main partition is too small and I cannot install any OS system ;)

I run with an SSD with 2 OS's installed, and then use seperate 500GB drives for the programs, etc, and then a 1TB drive for data.

cadaveca, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

1. My main partition is too small and I cannot install any OS system - Similar Threads - main partition too

2. Installed new SSD, accidentally made main partition too small

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installed new SSD, accidentally made main partition too small: I installed a 1TB SSD and was able to get it Windows 10 working but accidentally made the C drive only 38 GB see pic. What's the best path forward to fix this?...
  3. Installed new SSD, accidentally made main partition too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed new SSD, accidentally made main partition too small: I installed a 1TB SSD and was able to get it Windows 10 working but accidentally made the C drive only 38 GB see pic. What's the best path forward to fix this?...
  4. Installed new SSD, accidentally made main partition too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Partition too small - installing Windows with installation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition too small - installing Windows with installation media: Background: My laptop suddenly would only start in Bios and so I am now reinstalling Windows. It is not possible to do a reinstallation from boot in Bios so I have created a reinstallation media as described here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039507And I also had to...
  6. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  7. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  8. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Partition is too small

Partition is too small: I reset my old hp laptop and Windows didn't reinstall so I went to install it manually with a usb and every time I try installing it I get to this screen: And no matter what I do I can't get past itHere is a picture of the error message if that helps:...
  10. Partition is too small

Partition is too small: I am installing Windows 10 on a laptop. Everything was going fine until I tried installing on "Drive 0 Unallocated Space". It gives me the "Windows cannot be installed on this drive. When I click details it reads, "This partition is too small. Make the size of this partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this partition is too small

2. partition is too small