Windows 10: My microphone is only picked up when "listen to this device" is selected.

Discus and support My microphone is only picked up when "listen to this device" is selected. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I was wondering why my microphone only works properly when "listen to this device is selected? The volume level is also really low. I'm using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mrockracing, May 21, 2020.

1. My microphone is only picked up when "listen to this device" is selected.

Hello, I was wondering why my microphone only works properly when "listen to this device is selected? The volume level is also really low. I'm using the microphone jack on my PDP Xbox One controller, but the issue persists even using the front panel audio jack.

submitted by /u/mrockracing
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mrockracing, May 21, 2020

2. Microphone doesn't pick up voice.

Hi Gijuana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Do you get any error message or error code on the screen?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have performed to resolve the issue?
    As of now I suggest you t follow the methods below and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run and check hardware device troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the step:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.
    • Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.
    • Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.
    • Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator. (Enter credentials if prompted)
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled and is set as default.

Make sure that the microphone that you are using is not disabled and is set as default in the computer. Follow these steps to check this:

a) Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

b) Now, right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

c) Select “Microphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the microphone is enabled.

d) You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.

Method 3: If the issue still persists, then let’s try installing the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps. Please follow the steps given below.

To install the drivers in compatibility mode:

• Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
      Properties

• Select Compatibility Tab

• Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list

• Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Hope the information helps. Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you better.

Nachappa C K, May 21, 2020
  3. surface pro 4 cortana and skype - microphone problem, google chrome web - microphone is OK

Hi Pit Zh,

Let's ensure that your microphone is set as the Default Communication Device and that
    Listen to this device is not enabled. Follow these steps:

Set as the Default Communication Device

1. Right-click the Sound icon on the system tray and click Recording devices.
    2. Select your microphone and set it as the Default Communication Device.
    3. Click Apply, then OK.

Ensure that Listen to this device is not enabled.

1. Right-click the Sound icon on the system tray and click Recording devices.
    2. Right-click your microphone and click Properties.
    3. Click the Listen tab, then uncheck Listen to this device.
    4. Click Apply, then OK.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you update its driver. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Audio inputs and outputs category.
    3. Right-click your microphone and select Update Driver.
    4. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 21, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

My microphone is only picked up when "listen to this device" is selected.

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 21, 2020
Thema:

My microphone is only picked up when "listen to this device" is selected.

1. My microphone is only picked up when "listen to this device" is selected. - Similar Threads - microphone picked listen

2. Microphone only picking up game sounds, and barely picks up my voice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone only picking up game sounds, and barely picks up my voice.: I recently bought a new pair of headphones, because my old pair was doing the same thing, so I thought it was an issue with old headphones, but apparently not.Can't seem to figure out why. If I get on a call on Discord or something, the microphone picks up my voice just fine,...
  3. Windows only picking up sound from microphone whilst ''Listen to this device'' is activated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows only picking up sound from microphone whilst ''Listen to this device'' is activated.: Hi!I've been experiencing some difficulty getting my microphone to work. My microphone is connected to a first gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, the same audiocard my speakers are connected to. The audio is getting picked up by the audiocard as indicated by flashing lights, I can...
  4. Windows only picking up sound from microphone whilst ''Listen to this device'' is activated.

Windows only picking up sound from microphone whilst ''Listen to this device'' is activated.: Hi!I've been experiencing some difficulty getting my microphone to work. My microphone is connected to a first gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, the same audiocard my speakers are connected to. The audio is getting picked up by the audiocard as indicated by flashing lights, I can...
  5. Windows only picking up sound from microphone whilst ''Listen to this device'' is activated.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Mic not picking up sound, but works fine when I select "Listen to this device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mic not picking up sound, but works fine when I select "Listen to this device": My microphone seems to only work when I select "Listen to this device".It won't detect any noice unles I blow into the microphone or tap on it, but when I select "Listen to this device" in the microphone properties it works perfectly fine.When I select the microphone in a...
  7. Mic not picking up sound, but works fine when I select "Listen to this device"

Mic not picking up sound, but works fine when I select "Listen to this device": My microphone seems to only work when I select "Listen to this device".It won't detect any noice unles I blow into the microphone or tap on it, but when I select "Listen to this device" in the microphone properties it works perfectly fine.When I select the microphone in a...
  8. Mic not picking up sound, but works fine when I select "Listen to this device"

9. Microphone only works when Cortona is listening?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone only works when Cortona is listening?: For some reason, one day, my microphone just stopped working. It worked fine for about 6 months and just now started to fail. No audio recording or microphone tests can hear it. However, I have discovered that the microphone DOES work whenever cortana is listening. All...
  10. Microphone only picking up static

Microphone only picking up static: I recently got a new computer and all I have for a mic/headphones is a cheap pair of headphones with an inline mic. I bought an adaptor so I can use my headphones for discord but when I plugged in the adaptor, all my friends can hear is static when I talk. I can also hear the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microphone listen to this device