Windows 10: My microphone stopped working on some applications

Discus and support My microphone stopped working on some applications in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, first of all, some details. My microphone and my ports are fine. They are functional and they are working. My microphone is attached to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by waterbottle9, Jul 8, 2018.

1. My microphone stopped working on some applications

Hello everyone, first of all, some details. My microphone and my ports are fine. They are functional and they are working. My microphone is attached to a headset which is the SteelSeries Arctis 3 and I have downloaded SteelSeries Engine 3. The headset is connected to the PC via two 3.5mm jacks.

Okay so, I have encountered this issue first at March-April. I was playing this game called "Overwatch" a bit too much. But one day, not in mid game but after I booted my pc back up. I couldn't talk in Overwatch for some reason. The game detected my mic but it didn't receive any audio. I thought it was an error in Overwatch so I contacted the Blizzard support (which are the developers of the game) but they couldn't find a solution. Fast forward to June, I was playing "Fortnite" heavily. Unfortunately, that game also couldn't receive any audio from my mic suddenly. And recently, I was playing Garry's Mod too much and one day, it stopped receiving any audio as well. At that point, I realized that it's a fault in my system and not in the games. Wierd thing is that this becomes an issue on the games that I play too much and just suddenly happens without any warning or such. The mic works well in other games and applications such as Skype and Discord. I think that there's a windows application that's running in the background and/or any background application and/or the drivers are causing this and/or a windows setting or firewall may be causing and I think like this because of this:

There's a temporary fix that I have found which sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. What I do is that I delete the audio and the microphone drivers for the headset. Then restart the PC. Then plug the headset in and lastly, run a game booster option that is in the ASUS gaming app which closes system services. These system services include still like "steamwebhelper.exe" (Steam) "Agent.exe" (Battle.net) "Battle.net.exe" (Battle.net) and some NVDIA programs. So, it's either related to the programmes that run in the background and/or the drivers but it may be related to a setting or a firewall issue as well.

Things I have tried:

- Turning off the firewall

- Re-installing the games

- Stopping the background applications individually

- The method I mentioned

- Checking the privacy settings

I'm really lost at this point and considering a reset for my computer. All your help will be appreciated and have a good day

:)

waterbottle9, Jul 8, 2018

2. Microphone suddenly stopped working

My microphone is still not working. I even checked the BIOS as someone had suggested but there is no listing for the microphone in there.

JonStoffelsen, Jul 8, 2018
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

My microphone stopped working on some applications

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

My microphone stopped working on some applications

1. My microphone stopped working on some applications - Similar Threads - microphone stopped working

2. My Microphone stops working in some games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Microphone stops working in some games.: Hello,So when I play some games like for example CS:GO, the game freezes at the start, then my microphone on discord and in game stops working entierly. Even on shadow play, so it's defiently the freeze, when I alt+tab to discord and reassign the mic which in return fixes it...
  3. My Microphone stops working in some games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microphone stops working in some games.: Hello,So when I play some games like for example CS:GO, the game freezes at the start, then my microphone on discord and in game stops working entierly. Even on shadow play, so it's defiently the freeze, when I alt+tab to discord and reassign the mic which in return fixes it...
  4. My Microphone stops working in some games.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Some applications stop launching.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some applications stop launching.: At some point about 40% of the applications stopped running. Applications start for about half a second and then shut down immediately. Before that I downloaded win rar, maybe that's the problem but I'm not sure...
  6. Some applications does not detect my microphone and speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some applications does not detect my microphone and speakers: Hi, allI have an strange issue in Windows 11 that I do not fully understand. This issue happened from the moment I updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10. Whenever I try to start a Zoom, Teams, Meet, etc. meetings my microphone and speakers are not detected during the meeting:...
  7. Some applications does not detect my microphone and speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some applications does not detect my microphone and speakers: Hi, allI have an strange issue in Windows 11 that I do not fully understand. This issue happened from the moment I updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10. Whenever I try to start a Zoom, Teams, Meet, etc. meetings my microphone and speakers are not detected during the meeting:...
  8. Microphone stops working with applications only*

Microphone stops working with applications only*: While using Discord and applications that require my microphone, they will initially work. After some time, however, friends may hear a "pop" noise and they will no longer be able to hear my audio output. Through basic troubleshooting, I found that while my microphone is not...
  9. My microphone stop working

My microphone stop working: My microphone kind a stop working on my pc yesterday i don't know why. The mic is working though because i tested it on my hp compaq laptop and it worked perfectly there. And i don't think there is a problem with my motherboard because its recognize it. Also my drivers are up...
  10. Microphone works but not in applications

Microphone works but not in applications: Hello, My microphone doesn't work properly for about a week now. Since then i followed several instructions and went over every setting i stumbled upon. In the Sound Settings the microphone looks just normal [ATTACH] but even in the Mic-Configuration Application there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WHY DOESNT COMPUTER MICROPHONE WORK IN SOME APPLICATTIONS

2. windows microphone working in some applications

3. why the microphone on my window phone stopped working