Windows 10: My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find...

Discus and support My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, basically my issue is that my setup just stopped powering on properly recently, and began cycling every half-second- to where i could not even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tempest Demon, Jun 7, 2019.

1. My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find...

Hello, basically my issue is that my setup just stopped powering on properly recently, and began cycling every half-second- to where i could not even enter the bios. I replaced the Power Supply and sequentially removed parts that could be the issue until I was down to just the Mobo and CPU, so I have nothing else to go on as far as the cause of the issue.

My build is from 2014 so I figured I would just upgrade and replace the CPU, Mobo and Ram, while keeping my current SSD, HDD’s, disc drive and GTX 760. My thought was to just plug in my SSD and use my existing Windows 10 no biggie.

I placed my order for these parts before realizing after research that Windows does a Hardware inventory and may create one of two issues- either a flat error that might require a fresh install, or issues with authenticity- recognizing the new hardware and enacting a fraud protection etc. (As if I were installing Windows 10 on a new PC without paying for a new key).

My question is- if i can’t even boot up my previous hardware, and I plug in my SSD into the new hardware, what can I expect to happen on startup? And in a perfect world, if the system asks for my activation key- will it allow me to reinstall my existing OS?

Furthermore, I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, and without being able to start my previous system, is there any way to learn my Windows 10 key? Thank you to anyone who can shed light on my situation.

If I just need to repurchase Windows, thats fine too. I was more worried about me data, but i purchased a Sata/USB converter to try to extract those files before doing the install.

:)

Tempest Demon, Jun 7, 2019
  2. rougal Win User

Now that W10 is out, are you a W7 / W8 refusenik?

I'm still on w7. Why? No driver support from Asus for My Mobo... Not gonna upgrade until this mobo is dead, by then i'll have force myself to upgrade to w10 on a newer setup.

rougal, Jun 7, 2019
  3. BobiJoBJ Win User
    W7 to W10 upgrade

I have tried to upgrade to W10 home premium from my 64-bit W7 home premium operating system on my laptop. I checked that I meet all requirements and have tried everything anyone ever suggested. I wasted 2 days in December 2015, and still failed.

I had no problem in March 2016 upgrading my desktop W7 Ultimate to W10, so I thought I might try again to upgrade my W7 home premium.

I have now wasted another 2 days in March trying to upgrade the laptop. Either it is a problem with my laptop that the Windows Update Trouble-Shooter does not find, or W7 Home Premium (64) will not upgrade to W10. I give up.

BobiJoBJ, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Kieran28 Win User

My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find...

CPU upgrade before or after Win10 upgrade (from W7)?

I am running W7 Ultimate, with a Core i5-2500K cpu.
    I recently got a used Core i7-3770K cpu, which I'd like to install.
    Should I complete this hardware change before or after upgrading to W10? Everything seems to be running fine right now with W7 (recently did a clean re-install after a SNAFU of a BIOS update.)
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Kieran

Kieran28, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find...

1. My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find... - Similar Threads - Mobo CPU fried

2. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  3. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  4. I upgraded the MOBO and CPU. Can not activate Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I upgraded the MOBO and CPU. Can not activate Win 10: I upgraded the MOBO and CPU. Can not activate Win 10, digital license associated with my Microsoft Acct. on my sons' computer, he is the admin with his own Microsoft Acct. can not add an acct. on his comp until win 10 is verified. any help would be appreciated. Tanks Kevin...
  5. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. Did i fry my Mobo?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Did i fry my Mobo?: a75 pro 4m, asrock older pc that some intermittent reboot problems. Have it on my desk to take it apart and put it back hoping it would repair itself. Figured out that the 20pin (24?) power supply would cause it to reboot. Basically, although jammed in to the board, it had...
  8. No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?: I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, yet I do NOT have a CD or DVD drive. Is it possible for me to upgrade to W10? My W7 is not asking me to upgrade, how come? 26562
  9. W7 -> W10 + hardware changout

W7 -> W10 + hardware changout: I build my PC about 5 years ago, my first build. I've been thinking of upgrading my MB, processor and RAM and think now is a good time to do it before I activate my W10 upgrade. I bought Window 7 retail originally, not OEM. I have the box and have verified it as retail...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...