Windows 10: My mother allowed a caller access to her computer.

Discus and support My mother allowed a caller access to her computer. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My mother got a caller pretending to be an agent from McAfee needing to update her virus software and she gave him access to her pc. When she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JenniferReynolds2, Feb 4, 2020.

1. My mother allowed a caller access to her computer.

My mother got a caller pretending to be an agent from McAfee needing to update her virus software and she gave him access to her pc.

When she realized what she had done, she turned off her computer, hung up on the guy and stopped answering her phone.

My sister has already checked all of her accounts. He was transferring money out of her Paypal for a couple of days before she told us but so far, everything else was okay and passwords have all been changed.

But now, when we try to boot up her laptop, everything seems fine at first, then after about a minute, an error message pops up that says there is Windows 10 License Manager error and she needs to call 1-844-884-1830.

It says to click no to shut down or yes for more info. Either way, the whole pc just shuts down after about 30 seconds.

I've booted it in safe mode now and I've removed all her important files for her but I cannot figure out how to deal with the License Manager issue. I went into recovery and reset it reinstalling windows but that did not work.

I'm at a loss. All of my search results on the matter come back as expiration issues.

I don't even know if this is a genuine issue or a manufactured one so the scammer could then get her to pay to "fix" it.

:)

JenniferReynolds2, Feb 4, 2020
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Steeboo Win User
    Windows Firewall - how to allow access

I believe that my firewall is blocking access to Family Tree Maker / Ancestry / MacKiev SYNC - I can't see any reference to any of these names in the allowed list ....

I can't see any way of adding to the allowed list

Any suggestions ?

Steeboo, Feb 4, 2020
  4. My mother allowed a caller access to her computer.

Unable to access HP Simple Pass to Sign-in to the computer on Windows 10

Hi Jerome,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing HP simple pass after upgrading to Windows 10. We will help you with this issue.

• Do let us know the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you installed HP simple pass software on your computer?

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to download the latest HP Simple Pass software from the manufacturer's website install it and check if it helps.

Step 2: If you have already installed the software, I suggest you to re-install it and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to Access Recovery Manager:

• Press Start button from the keyboard, type Recover Manager.
    • Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The
      HP Recovery Manager opens.
    • Click Software program re-installation, Next , select
      HP SimplePass for the listing and then follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall application

Hope it helps. Try the above and get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

My mother allowed a caller access to her computer.

1. My mother allowed a caller access to her computer. - Similar Threads - mother allowed caller

2. my mother has past away and when i went to make changes to her computer she is the admin,...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my mother has past away and when i went to make changes to her computer she is the admin,...: my mother has past away and when i went to make changes to her computer she is the admin, how can i remove her account without losing any files. the os is win 10...
  3. Elderly mother had lost access to her windowslive account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Elderly mother had lost access to her windowslive account: My elderly mother has lost access to her windowslive account, all recovery options have been tried and failed so we don't know what to do to regain access. What other options outside of receiving a code via text message or the recovery information form? Neither of these...
  4. Elderly mother had lost access to her windowslive account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Elderly mother had lost access to her windowslive account: My elderly mother has lost access to her windowslive account, all recovery options have been tried and failed so we don't know what to do to regain access. What other options outside of receiving a code via text message or the recovery information form? Neither of these...
  5. My mother has dementia and MS keeps charging her for a support plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My mother has dementia and MS keeps charging her for a support plan: My mother has dementia and MS keeps charging her for a support plan. I don't have her computer, I don't have her sign in and password, I don't have ANYTHING. Other articles on MS lead me to an email to send if a parent died. The email came back with errors. This is totally...
  6. My mother has dementia and MS keeps charging her for a support plan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My mother has dementia and MS keeps charging her for a support plan: My mother has dementia and MS keeps charging her for a support plan. I don't have her computer, I don't have her sign in and password, I don't have ANYTHING. Other articles on MS lead me to an email to send if a parent died. The email came back with errors. This is totally...
  7. Accidentally Allowed School Access to Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Allowed School Access to Computer: I accidentally allowed my school access to my computer when I was downloading excel and clicked the enable access to a computer. I removed the account from the settings, but it is still managing my laptop after that and has made me change my password multiple times. How can I...
  8. My mother in law cannot reset her password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My mother in law cannot reset her password: She listed her land line as the contact telephone for password resets and the only option is to send a text which her land line cannot receive. She also never uses her outlook email, so we are not able to confirm the last emails she sent because as far as she is aware she's...
  9. Network Computers not Allowing Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Computers not Allowing Access: Hello, We have a network that contains most of the computers at our facility. There are 3 computers in this network that are relevant: 1 "host" computer with a folder that should visible to the other 2 "client" computers (quotes are referencing that these are just the...
  10. How to allow remote access to my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to allow remote access to my computer: I tried to allow remote access to my computer but when I opened the remoe tab on the advnced setup only the upper part shown. see the photo. no radio button to choose is shown. How to solve that? 93868