Windows 10: My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build

Discus and support My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; the motherboard on my computer died so im buying all new parts but still have all of the drives and the boot drive that has windows on it. i really do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AdamKott, Oct 29, 2018.

1. AdamKott Win User

My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build

the motherboard on my computer died so im buying all new parts but still have all of the drives and the boot drive that has windows on it. i really do not want to have to buy windows 10 over again because that was very expensive and i do not have my product key any more. any ideas? i was thinking of plugging it into my laptop and maybe trying to boot off of it and get the product key or create a recovery partition but i have no idea if that will work or not.

:)

AdamKott, Oct 29, 2018

2. Motherboard died... New licensed?

Hi. I am currently running windows 7 and it is/was my intention to stick with it at least until support for it finishes. My motherboards pcie port has died and rather than try and replace a 7 year old motherboard, i am replacing it with a current mobo/processor.
    As far as i understand, my license is tied with the mobo. While i could possible simply transfer windows to the new* pc/drive, i would rather do a fresh install.

Do i have to purchase a new copy of windows (10)? Or is there a way to continue with win7?

Thanks

Krovikan1701, Oct 29, 2018
  3. is it possible to hand build a motherboard?

Might I suggest you simply build a computer, making notes and taking pictures step by step. Most people (probably including your teacher) have no idea even where to start building a computer. You'll do fine, and if you get stuck we're here to help ya out! *Toast :toast:

thoughtdisorder, Oct 29, 2018
  4. My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build

Durvelle27, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build

1. My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build - Similar Threads - Motherboard died build

2. What to do after I install my new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do after I install my new motherboard?: Hi. I just purchased a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU for my PC. I'm assuming after I install these, Windows 10 will cease to boot. My Windows 10 came with the PC and is OEM.That being said, I would like to upgrade to Windows 11 instead due to the newer model motherboard and...
  3. What to do after I install my new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do after I install my new motherboard?: Hi. I just purchased a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU for my PC. I'm assuming after I install these, Windows 10 will cease to boot. My Windows 10 came with the PC and is OEM.That being said, I would like to upgrade to Windows 11 instead due to the newer model motherboard and...
  4. What to do after I install my new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  6. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  7. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Upgrading my motherboard, what do I need to do to prepare?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading my motherboard, what do I need to do to prepare?: Hello, I was wondering what are the steps I need to do to transfer my windows 10 and pc data to my new motherboard? Researched online but most of videos and articles skip important questions like:1 How do I back up all my pc data? 2 Do I have to reinstall the drivers for my...
  9. Upgrading my motherboard, what do I need to do to prepare?

Upgrading my motherboard, what do I need to do to prepare?: Hello, I was wondering what are the steps I need to do to transfer my windows 10 and pc data to my new motherboard? Researched online but most of videos and articles skip important questions like:1 How do I back up all my pc data? 2 Do I have to reinstall the drivers for my...
  10. Upgrading my motherboard, what do I need to do to prepare?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade