Windows 10: My motherboard has to be replaced, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board

Discus and support My motherboard has to be replaced, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Win 10 Pro which was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro. My motherboard is broken, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board of the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Keith Paddison, Sep 26, 2020.

1. My motherboard has to be replaced, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board

I have Win 10 Pro which was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro. My motherboard is broken, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board of the same type. All the other components remain the same?

:)

Keith Paddison, Sep 26, 2020
  2. no1yak Win User

Activation on new board

Hi All, I have a question on activation. I have two machines, one Asrock and the other Asus. The Asrock was a free upgrade from Win 8 pro to 10 pro using my retail licence and was activated. My Asus was installed with 10 pro via a retail licence.

Now, the Asrock has been decommissioned and I'm waiting for new board to arrive (Asus)I want to use the retail 10 key for the new board but, my other Asus was activated using that key. So I went into the activation screen and changed the licence to my Win 8 Pro key and it activated with no problems.

Does that now mean that the 10 pro key is freed up to use on the new board. Or am I snookered.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

no1yak, Sep 26, 2020
  3. M. Hamer Win User
    Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

• If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty

• Activation Error 0x803F7001

• If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.

• 0x8007007B

• 0xC004E016

• 0x8007232B

• 0xC004F074

• 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

Results in Windows - Microsoft Community

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Sep 26, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

My motherboard has to be replaced, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Hi Nitin

Yes, that page does seem to suggest, you can do that, so you should follow the instructions on that page, which should ensure against activation problems after replacing the motherboard, Microsoft do generally provide a one time exemption to change a motherboard
    on an OEM licence . . .

DaveM121, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

My motherboard has to be replaced, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board

1. My motherboard has to be replaced, will my activation key carry over when I fit the new board - Similar Threads - motherboard has replaced

2. Product Key Carry-Over with Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product Key Carry-Over with Update?: Installed Windows 11 22H2 update going from Windows 11 21H2 Using the ISO file. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows11Updrade to 22H2 was successful, from the iso file, but I noticed, when installing, no software key was required. Does it just carry over...
  3. Product Key Carry-Over with Update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Carry-Over with Update?: Installed Windows 11 22H2 update going from Windows 11 21H2 Using the ISO file. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows11Updrade to 22H2 was successful, from the iso file, but I noticed, when installing, no software key was required. Does it just carry over...
  4. How can i activate my windows when motherboard and cpu were replaced

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i activate my windows when motherboard and cpu were replaced: I had to replace my motherboard and cpu as my motherboard broke and could only get a newer motherboard and obviously had to get a new cpunow i have the activate windows message on my screen...
  5. How can i activate my windows when motherboard and cpu were replaced

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can i activate my windows when motherboard and cpu were replaced: I had to replace my motherboard and cpu as my motherboard broke and could only get a newer motherboard and obviously had to get a new cpunow i have the activate windows message on my screen...
  6. I replaced my motherboard.

I replaced my motherboard.: I have a digital license. Window 10 will not activate. My new motherboard is linked to my Microsoft account. The troubleshooter does not resolve my issue. How do I activate Windows 10 on my computer with the new motherboard?...
  7. Activity Windows 10 afrter having new motherboard fitted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activity Windows 10 afrter having new motherboard fitted: Hi just had a new motherboard fitted to my laptop and now it is asking me to Activate Windows. My Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Windows 7 and in settings it is showing the Product ID but only the last five digits of the Product Key so how can I get it reactivated please...
  8. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.: Dear Sir, Sir currently I am facing problem with my laptop.I contacted the retailer he advised me to go for new motherboard in this laptop.Since my laptop has genuine window.So I am in fear of loosing genuine window.Is there any way of preserving my genuine window.So that...
  9. I replaced my Motherboard

I replaced my Motherboard: My motherboard failed and replaced it, the question is can I activate my Windows License again on this new motherboard? I don't have money to buy a new one at the moment, if there is any way to install again the same Windows let me know please...
  10. Do I need a new windows 10 key if I replace my mother board?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need a new windows 10 key if I replace my mother board?: I want to buy an 8th gen i7 and my current motherboard only supports up to 7th so I need to get a new one. So the question is...do I need to spend 200 dollars on a new windows?...