Windows 10: My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC

Discus and support My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My new PC is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. When I first built the PC, it made me use a PIN to sign in, but I wanted to change back to using my password, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PeterSmoge, Feb 18, 2023.

1. My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC

My new PC is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. When I first built the PC, it made me use a PIN to sign in, but I wanted to change back to using my password, so I tried to sign out and then sign back in with my password. But it keeps saying my password is incorrect, and I can't go back to using the PIN either so I'm stuck using a temporary local account.Whenever I try to sign in using my Microsoft account it says my password is incorrect even though I used the same password to successfully login to accounts.microsoft.com, and then I even changed the password online and it says the new one is incorrect too

:)

PeterSmoge, Feb 18, 2023
  2. Andy_H20 Win User

Surface Pro: Sign-in asks for MS Account Password

Does anyone have any further suggestions on this? Thanks

Andy_H20, Feb 18, 2023
  3. new email password not working in account settings.

Hi stuartmushlin. Welcome to the TenForums @stuartmushlin

When you say generate I immediately think of two step verification and the need to have account "Generate" an app password.

Do you know if your account is using Two Step verification?

In any event if you sign into your account using a browser, then head to security, other security options you should find a section for app passwords.

This is the only password generator I know of where MS generates a password to be used for sign in.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 18, 2023
  4. Andy_H20 Win User

My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC

Surface Pro: Sign-in asks for MS Account Password

Hi

I've tried all of your suggested steps but when signing in still always get the message:

"That password is incorrect. Make sure you are using the password for your Microsoft Account. You can always reset it at account.live.com/password/reset".

I can log into Windows (10) with no problem once signed in.

A slight concern I have is that the sign-in screen displays my MS email address and requires me to enter my MS password. I work freelance and have to use the Surface Pro in public places a lot... this is probably paranoia but it would be possible to pick
    up both just from watching me sign in (though you'd have to really want to, obviously).

Thanks for your comments anyway... I'd appreciate other suggestions if you have any.

Andy_H20, Feb 18, 2023
Thema:

My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC

1. My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC - Similar Threads - account password works

2. New MS account password does not work to start my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New MS account password does not work to start my laptop: I have a Y50-70 Laptop Lenovo, with WINDOWS 8. I forgot my Microsoft account password, so I couldn't log in to my laptop. I reset my Microsoft account password on my phone. When I entered the new password, it did not work. I repeated this many times, with the internet access...
  3. New MS account password does not work to start my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New MS account password does not work to start my laptop: I have a Y50-70 Laptop Lenovo, with WINDOWS 8. I forgot my Microsoft account password, so I couldn't log in to my laptop. I reset my Microsoft account password on my phone. When I entered the new password, it did not work. I repeated this many times, with the internet access...
  4. My Win 11 sign in password has stopped working overnight in my 'new' laptop no online...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Win 11 sign in password has stopped working overnight in my 'new' laptop no online...: My Win 11 sign in password has stopped working overnight in my 'new' laptop no online 'fixes' work! any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-win-11-sign-in-password-has-stopped-working/025e6e4d-2bb9-46d4-8980-3a42ecd3c9a1
  5. My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC: My new PC is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. When I first built the PC, it made me use a PIN to sign in, but I wanted to change back to using my password, so I tried to sign out and then sign back in with my password. But it keeps saying my password is incorrect, and I can't go back...
  6. My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My MS account password works online but not when signing into my new PC: My new PC is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. When I first built the PC, it made me use a PIN to sign in, but I wanted to change back to using my password, so I tried to sign out and then sign back in with my password. But it keeps saying my password is incorrect, and I can't go back...
  7. Updated Microsoft account password online, new password doesn’t work on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated Microsoft account password online, new password doesn’t work on my laptop: I forgot my laptop password and answers to the security questions so I logged into my Microsoft account online and changed that password but the new password doesn’t work when I try to sign in on my laptop. I can see my laptop under “my devices” so I assume that means they’re...
  8. Updated Microsoft account password online, new password doesn’t work on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated Microsoft account password online, new password doesn’t work on my laptop: I forgot my laptop password and answers to the security questions so I logged into my Microsoft account online and changed that password but the new password doesn’t work when I try to sign in on my laptop. I can see my laptop under “my devices” so I assume that means they’re...
  9. Updated Microsoft account password online, new password doesn’t work on my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Blank Password screen when signing in to MS Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank Password screen when signing in to MS Account: When working in any Office app Excel, Word, Visio, etc.., a window will appear asking me to sign into my MS account. I assume that this request when the app attempts to auto-save to Onedrive. After I enter my email for my MS account and click NEXT that window disappears and...