Windows 10: My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

Discus and support My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 computers, Win10 & WinXP & 2 printers, an HP printer connected to Win10 thru ethernet & an Epson wirelessly. I was having problems in Win10, &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by phrab, Apr 28, 2019.

1. phrab Win User

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

I have 2 computers, Win10 & WinXP & 2 printers, an HP printer connected to Win10 thru ethernet & an Epson wirelessly. I was having problems in Win10, & you've helped me solve this in thread "HP Officejet printer keeps going offline only on Windows 10".I had no problems with my printers in WinXP, but now I do. When trying to use the HP printer with WinXP, I keep getting messages that it can't communicate with the printer. I've tried to use Add printer on my WinXP machine to start over, & it "sees" my printer on the Win10 machine. However, when I try to go thru the printer wizard, I get to this screen:

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP [​IMG]

I don't have a password on either computer, but I type in the username, as shown above. Whether the box "remember my password" is checked or not, when I click OK, I get the message

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP [​IMG]

I don't know if this has anything to do with my previous problem or not, but I can't use the HP printer in Windows XP anymore. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

:)

phrab, Apr 28, 2019

2. installing network printer on an Xp to use shared printer on win10

If you had problems with "credentials" trying to install a network printer on an Xp this solution will work, Does not involve credentials.

George

If you have problems trying to install a network printer on an Xp computer to the shared printer on Win10:

(the win10 is plugged directly into the computer!)

try this

Firstly

On the win10 computer indicate the share name then in the securities window list all the users that will be using this printer. These will be user codes and will verified by win10.

If you do not know the name of the win10 machine then do this now.

Summary:

Computer name

Printer share name

List of permitted users.

Secondly sign on to the xp computer with a user name that is mentioned in the securities list above.

Then proceed as follows:

1) click start then click printers and faxes

2) click add printer ( in left pane)

3) click next

4) select LOCAL printer attached to this computer: click next

5) Select create a new PORT. Select “local port” for the port type and click next.

6) System asks for port name: enter path and share name for example \\win10computername\printersharename
    this is similar to mapping a network drive, instead of server, folder it is server printer share name.

7) Select printer brand and model number (for the driver)

8) Follow the rest of the wizard.

9) Do not share printer. Win10 will manage it

10) Print test page, print a simple document.

George Sirk, Apr 28, 2019
  3. network printers no longer working for windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum.

• Have you installed any third party software in compute?
    I suggest you to make printer as a default printer you can follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key+ X and select
      device manager

• Select devices and printers

• Right click on the printer you want to use, and then click
      set as default printer (You'll see a check mark on the printer's icon signifying that it's now your default printer).
    I also recommend you to run the print troubleshooter to check the issue.

• Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

• In the left pane click on View all.

• Select the printer option and
      follow the on screen instructions.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers and check if it helps

• Press Windows key+ X and select device manager.

• Select devices and printers.

• Right click on printer driver and select uninstall.

• Now try to install the printer drivers from manufacturing website.

Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Apr 28, 2019
  4. My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

Cannot add printer shared by Windows 10 to Windows XP.

Experiencing problems using Win10 networked printer on network containing older PCs, specifically Win7 and WinXp, in common with so many others. Finally got working on Win7, but not yet on XP.

Situation
    Have installed a Win10 pro PC on company network. Shared out folders, after some little difficulty.
    Installed USB connected dot matrix printer; this works on the Win10 PC.
    Shared this printer over network.
    Could not install this printer on existing Win7 or WinXP PCs, receiving 'access denied' message.
    After lots of research, discovered could install on WinXP PC as local printer using a network port, but still could not print to this installed printer.
    Tried very many other suggestions from web posts; none worked.
    By accident, discovered Win10 PC had configured itself as member of homegroup (Network and Sharing Center) as well as having been configured as part of company's WORKGROUP (Control Panel/System).
    Removed from homegroup.
    Win10 networked printer will now install on Win7 PC; can print to this Win10 printer from Win7.

Still cannot print to this printer from XP, though.

This info might be of use to someone.

Take care

Mike

bWildered1, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

1. My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP - Similar Threads - Networked Printer Win10

2. Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!?: I've been having a heck of a time trying to add a Windows 10 local printer, as a network printer on a Windows XP machine on the same workgroup. Through reading forums, I've been able to get the computers seen, as well as the printer, but when I go to connect to it on the XP...
  3. Printer no longer works with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer no longer works with Windows 10: My Epson WF -4740 will not print off my computer anymore It says error printing but I can print off my phone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-no-longer-works-with-windows-10/85df4e34-4cee-4104-b335-57bb147fde55
  4. Win10 no longer recognizes Canon printer

Win10 no longer recognizes Canon printer: After a recent Windows update, Win10 Home system no longer recognizes printer Canon Maxify MB2120. The latest Canon driver is installed. Have removed printer and reinstalled. Printer prints test sheet, but not from the computer. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks....
  5. Printer no longer works

Printer no longer works: All of a sudden my printer does not work. I reloaded drivers, deleted and reloaded the printer, and also went online with the manufacturer of my printer MFC-240C and they suggested I delete Window updates KB4560960 & KB4557957. I deleted the first windows update but could...
  6. Printer No Longer Working

Printer No Longer Working: Using Windows 10, 64 Bit version I have an Epson WF-7720 Printer that has a wireless connection to my computer. Today, it stopped printing, an error message reads: "The Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable" Has this anything to do with the Windows...
  7. Printer no longer works

Printer no longer works: I have Windows 10 Ver 1909 OS Build 18363.900 and wireless printer HP color laserjet. Printer worked seamlessly until an automatic update. I have removed and reinstalled, downloaded drivers, everything I could think of. HP Smart recognizes printer, shows Connection Status:...
  8. Printer no longer works correctly

Printer no longer works correctly: Why does my printer no longer have the option to print in color since Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-no-longer-works-correctly/29c966f2-5428-49fd-a075-b569bf0f4425
  9. Direct connection to networked printer no longer working

Direct connection to networked printer no longer working: Hello, The issue I'm having concerns a printer and a few computers. The printer and computers are on different domains, but on the same network. The printer was added to the computers directly using the printer's IP address. Something changed however, and now the printer is...
  10. Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10: Hi I have a mixed network. Some PCs running windows 10 upgraded from 7, and some running XP Pro. Before I upgraded the Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 I could access the printer from the XP Pro and the Windows 7 PCs. My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R2400. It is...