Windows 10: My newly installed SSD of 500GB Capacity only shows me 300GB after cloning from an HDD....

Discus and support My newly installed SSD of 500GB Capacity only shows me 300GB after cloning from an HDD.... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So basically I migrated from an old HDD which now I use just for storage to a new Crucial SSD and made it bootable. From aprx 470GB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/D_G_2_K, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Smears Win User

Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Oct 19, 2020
  2. gibbsy09 Win User
    Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD

Hi looking for the easiest and hassle free as possible way, to clone Windows 10 from 500GB HDD to 240GB SSD, seen a tutorial using easus, clone and back, on YouTube using a usb to sata cable, is this a good way to proceed, or could I run into problems, looking for any suggestions Thanks.

gibbsy09, Oct 19, 2020
  3. srdjanmax Win User

My newly installed SSD of 500GB Capacity only shows me 300GB after cloning from an HDD....

SSD not showing correct size after cloning

Hello all,

Recently I have cloned my HDD to a new SSD. The SDD is 480GB and HDD 1TB. Interestingly when I go to disk management, in the upper window, the SSD is listed with a correct capacity. In the lower window, however, it shows that the SSD has the capacity of roughly 1TB (the same as the HDD, which I cloned to SDD). For better explanation I have attached the screenshot of my Disk Management. Does anyone know how to have this corrected?

Thanks,

srdjanmax, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

My newly installed SSD of 500GB Capacity only shows me 300GB after cloning from an HDD....

1. My newly installed SSD of 500GB Capacity only shows me 300GB after cloning from an HDD.... - Similar Threads - newly installed SSD

2. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd: I bought a new 500gb SSD, and did a disk copy of my old hdd, went into the BIOS afterwards and booted into the new hdd . It booted fine and everything works except I can't see the old hdd in explorer. It does show up in the BIOS and disk management panel though.The new ssd is...
  3. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd: I bought a new 500gb SSD, and did a disk copy of my old hdd, went into the BIOS afterwards and booted into the new hdd . It booted fine and everything works except I can't see the old hdd in explorer. It does show up in the BIOS and disk management panel though.The new ssd is...
  4. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloning my windows installation from HDD to SSD, HELLP!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning my windows installation from HDD to SSD, HELLP!!!: Hi, this is the situation, I’ve got a laptop that can take both an m.2 SSD and a SATA 3 HHD at the same time. What I want to know is how do I clone the windows installation, from the HHD to the SSD securely.Although I had installed many OSs in the past this is the first time,...
  6. Cloning my windows installation from HDD to SSD, HELLP!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning my windows installation from HDD to SSD, HELLP!!!: Hi, this is the situation, I’ve got a laptop that can take both an m.2 SSD and a SATA 3 HHD at the same time. What I want to know is how do I clone the windows installation, from the HHD to the SSD securely.Although I had installed many OSs in the past this is the first time,...
  7. Cloning my windows installation from HDD to SSD, HELLP!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?: I own a 120GB SSD I'd like to install in my desktop PC. Currently I have a 500 GB HDD, almost full, just a single partition. I need some way to clone it with the option of selecting just what I want to clone (in my case just Windows and my programs). Then I'd like to use my...
  9. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  10. Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD: Hi looking for the easiest and hassle free as possible way, to clone Windows 10 from 500GB HDD to 240GB SSD, seen a tutorial using easus, clone and back, on YouTube using a usb to sata cable, is this a good way to proceed, or could I run into problems, looking for any...