Windows 10: My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

Discus and support My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gremar, Nov 7, 2019.

1. gremar Win User

My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

Hi,
    Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I want to restore, Macrium no longer recongnised them.The main thing is my important notepad text files, which were kept on a separate drive, have changed to some weird charaters as well! Is there anyway I can convert them back to my original text?

Thank you!

My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters [​IMG]

:)

gremar, Nov 7, 2019

2. Numeric pad typing the wrong symbol

Thanks for the reply,

1. makes no difference

2. the numeric pad doesn't show on the on screen keyboard. it only happens on the numeric pad.

not the main keyboard

any other suggestions ?

Cheers,

J

jasoncaselton, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Ray.TJ Win User
    INSERT SYMBOLS

A couple of days ago I asked how to get capital letters with accents (circumflex). I got a very prompt answer suggesting a couple of methods including changing the character code on the symbols submenu. This worked very well but I didn't note the original
    character code which produces most of my commonly used symbols.

What is this code please and is there a list of alternate character codes together with what symbols they produce?

Many thanks

RayTJ

Ray.TJ, Nov 7, 2019
  4. My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

Sticky Notes not show the text

Hi Nancy,

The issue may be related to corrupted application files. To troubleshoot this kind of issue, follow the steps below:

Delete the contents of the Sticky Notes folder and run Sticky Notes Manually.

Step 1. Navigate to the App data folder and for that follow the steps mentioned below to help fix the issue.

a. Press Windows key + X.

b. Select File Explorer.

c. Navigate to C:\Users\<your User Name>.

Once you are inside your User folder you should see a list of Folders like Contacts, Desktop and downloads etc.

You need to access some files that are hidden to continue troubleshooting,

Step 2. Try to see Hidden Folders and files and for that you need to follow the steps provided below.

• Open Folder Options by Pressing Windows key + X, clicking
      Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking
      Folder Options.
    • Click the View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and
      drives, and then click OK.

Step 3. Delete the Sticky notes temp file.

Now, you should be able to see a folder by name App data above contacts.

• Click on the folder.
    • Navigate to Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky notes.
    • Delete the file StickyNotes.snt.
    Now close Sticky Notes and reopen it to check if it works.

If the issues still persist, check the answer provided by Ramesh.Kumar on this

thread
    and proceed with the steps on how to Run the Sticky Notes from the root Folder.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

1. My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters - Similar Threads - note pad text

2. How to insert text symbols and special characters in windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to insert text symbols and special characters in windows: I want to know is there any way to insert text symbols and special characters in windows 10? As we can type emoji with shortcut key of Windows+. Is there any similar shortcut key for symbols as well, where we can type symbols along with the text? Thank you....
  3. How to type text symbols and special characters in windows

How to type text symbols and special characters in windows: I want to know is there any way to type text symbols and special characters in windows 10? As we can type emoji with shortcut key of Windows+. Is there any similar shortcut key for symbols as well, where we can type symbols along with the text? Thank you....
  4. Note Pad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Note Pad: I opened an email attachment from a Mac in Note Pad. I can't read it. I think I clicked on "Always open in this format", so I can't change it. How do I change so it can be read in Windows?...
  5. Computers showing weird symbols.

Computers showing weird symbols.: Split from this thread. Not sure what uptdate happend, but my 2 computers start showing this weird symbols on the numbers and it does affect all the documents. As well my key "t, y and backspace" stop working dont sure if was as a part of the uptdate or just coincidental....
  6. note pad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    note pad: note pad asks for admin permission to save an edited ini file when have initiated all permissions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/note-pad/442e60e0-39e5-4728-a38f-9d23a492d673
  7. Note Pad

Note Pad: How do I change the space between horizontal lines ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/note-pad/db12a29e-937d-455f-8c85-c9c98e903250
  8. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  9. WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols

in Windows 10 News
    WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you open a document in WordPad in Windows 10 and see a set of weird symbols aka garbage text, then it’s probably because of the corrupted WordPad settings. In this post, we will show you can fix WordPad when [...] This post WordPad not showing text or...
  10. Note Pad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Note Pad: How to change font size in note pad. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/note-pad/06a413ac-d10d-4b89-9358-d87254af4fe3"