Windows 10: My old notepad files displays funny characters.

Discus and support My old notepad files displays funny characters. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10. My Notepad files have some Arabic characters, and all of them are broken as shown below diamond symbols: The file names and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MohammedAl-Khalifa, Jun 25, 2020.

1. My old notepad files displays funny characters.

I am using Windows 10.

My Notepad files have some Arabic characters, and all of them are broken as shown below diamond symbols:

The file names and menu are correctly shown but the content showing question marks inside diamonds symbols.

3\2\1420

:)

MohammedAl-Khalifa, Jun 25, 2020
  2. howeshou Win User

Notepad in Windows 10 doesn't display Chinese character

Thank you very much for your help.

I took your suggestion and created a new Notepad in Chinese. At the time I was typing it it showed the Chinese characters correctly, but after I saved and close the file, when I open it again it showed questions marks "????????" in place of Chinese characters.
    When I open another Notepad file containing Chinese characters created in a different computer, it showed a bunch of strange characters in stead of question marks.

I did also tried changed the font style under format options, but it didn't help either.

Thanks again for your effort and have a nice day!

howeshou, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Notepad display problem after update

Hi folks,

Yesterday I successfully updated my Dell Inspiron 3650 to Windows 1903 Build 18362.295. Everything seems o.k. except that I can't get Notepad to save as ANSI format.

Also, my files made with ANSi using the old Notepad display some characters incorrectly (— em dash, for example, which looks fine here).

Using the command prompt, I have found that the active code page for the machine is 437.

Using Notepad++ with ANSi displays my files normally, but I would like to keep using Notepad if possible.

I don't see Notepad listed in Apps & Features, so I am not able to re-set it.

I sure would appreciate some help with this.

Best / R

Olaf Mokulbuss, Jun 25, 2020
  4. My old notepad files displays funny characters.

Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

Well I found the answer to my question. I should have thought through this a little longer.

Notepad is native in ANSI mode.
    However Wordpad can work in UTF-8 mode.
    I found steps to make Notepad usable in UTF-8 mode but there are a lot of steps and once again there has to be a registry hack to make it work.
    Now how do I make Workpad be listed in the most used application through the Start Menu?

1ThursdayJC, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

My old notepad files displays funny characters.

1. My old notepad files displays funny characters. - Similar Threads - old notepad files

2. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.: Windows Notepad does not display Japanese characters. They are simply hidden.The .txt files in OneDrive are correctly displayed on other computers. This problem does not occur for other files and applications such as File Explorer, .odt files, and email messages. Further,...
  3. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.: Windows Notepad does not display Japanese characters. They are simply hidden.The .txt files in OneDrive are correctly displayed on other computers. This problem does not occur for other files and applications such as File Explorer, .odt files, and email messages. Further,...
  4. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  5. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  6. Disappearing files - it's not funny anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing files - it's not funny anymore: I own several devices with Windows 10 some time ago I lost a large amount of data I had stored in a folder on the desktop of my work laptop I work with media. I looked everywhere and even tried multiple data recovery programs. I never managed to recover anything because the...
  7. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  8. Unreadable non-ANSI characters in Notepad

Unreadable non-ANSI characters in Notepad: The problem: People living in countries, with languages including non-ANSI characters and want a full English Windows environment. If the user sets the System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs) to the country they live in, then many apps will check this setting and...
  9. CE character encoding in Notepad

CE character encoding in Notepad: I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be installed with Polish interface, which I don't want to. Therefore I've installed my OS in en-US version and left US as my...
  10. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad: Have you tried wordpad? Yes he did (HERE)