Windows 10: My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I...

Discus and support My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I don't think I've changed. This happened after I moved a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Paul_L_2020, Mar 1, 2020.

1. My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I...

My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I don't think I've changed. This happened after I moved a couple files around within onedrive.

The status window of onedrive tells me these various .dml files have been removed from onedrive, but I never made a change to them.

I now have files that are queued up behind these files that I never wanted saved in the first place.

:)

Paul_L_2020, Mar 1, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Files not syncing to OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues not syncing properly with OneDrive.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix OneDrive sync problems
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, you can check the article to
    Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 1, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I... [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync - MSPoweruser

P4-630, Mar 1, 2020
  4. My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I...

Sync files via OneDrive that are hardlinked to other locations

I use OneDrive to sync a script between multiple computers, including between my home and work machines. At work, we recently implemented separate logins for normal vs. admin access. This caused a problem because my script requires running under admin rights, but my admin account doesn't have access to my normal account's document folders where OneDrive syncs. I initially got around this by just manually copying the scripts between the sync location and one where the admin account can reach.

I next tried using a hardlink on my work computer, set up where the original file was in the sync location and the hardlinked version was in the outside folder. This worked great when I made changes to the script from my work machine, but I recently found that if I make changes on my home machine it breaks the hardlink. It seems that the process of OneDrive syncing the files works as a delete and re-add, so the delete step breaks the hardlink. The script continues to work because the "linked" file now becomes a standalone file.

Can anyone think of a way to keep these syncing, or a better way to do the same thing? I don't think there's a way to change the hardlink behavior because that seems to be integral to its design. OneDrive syncing a single file to a different location than the rest would be ideal, but I haven't found a way to do that.

techturtle, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I...

1. My onedrive sync keeps blowing out with 1,000's of changes from various .DML files that I... - Similar Threads - onedrive sync keeps

2. hiding onedrive synced file from pc but keeping them in onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hiding onedrive synced file from pc but keeping them in onedrive: whenever I try and unselect a folder via account settings "choose folder" option with pictures in it which are in documents that transfered via onedrive to new pc I get a "cant stop syncing folders cause it contains the windows documents folder" message I tried selecting the...
  3. hiding onedrive synced file from pc but keeping them in onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hiding onedrive synced file from pc but keeping them in onedrive: whenever I try and unselect a folder via account settings "choose folder" option with pictures in it which are in documents that transfered via onedrive to new pc I get a "cant stop syncing folders cause it contains the windows documents folder" message I tried selecting the...
  4. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Onedrive Sync https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/80578ffe-b47b-4470-a95b-a6d22a9e01bc
  5. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Sync issue with OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/f30eb4bd-7ef9-4803-a6dd-b086e5bc2af6
  6. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Onedrive Sync https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/80578ffe-b47b-4470-a95b-a6d22a9e01bc
  7. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Sync issue with OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/f30eb4bd-7ef9-4803-a6dd-b086e5bc2af6
  8. OneDrive says I'm out of data and won't sync but I can't change the files it syncs and I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive says I'm out of data and won't sync but I can't change the files it syncs and I...: My OneDrive suddenly indicated I had no storage room left without any warnings or emails as it sounds like it should from what I read on line. I'm not very familiar with OneDrive and really don't even want to use it. I turned it off but missed having immediate access to my...
  9. OneDrive says I'm out of data and won't sync but I can't change the files it syncs and I...

OneDrive says I'm out of data and won't sync but I can't change the files it syncs and I...: My OneDrive suddenly indicated I had no storage room left without any warnings or emails as it sounds like it should from what I read on line. I'm not very familiar with OneDrive and really don't even want to use it. I turned it off but missed having immediate access to my...
  10. Stop a file from syncing in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop a file from syncing in OneDrive: I have a program that requires local files to be stored in the MyDocuments folder of Windows 10. That folder happens to be located in OneDrive and I don't want that folder to sync. When it does try to sync it can't merge changes with the existing folder and it creates a copy...