Windows 10: My Partitions Are Horribly Wrong

Discus and support My Partitions Are Horribly Wrong in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I have had this computer for ever so I don't really know how this happened. I want to delete a partiton on my hard drive but in Disk Management it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zebedee, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Zebedee Win User

My Partitions Are Horribly Wrong

So I have had this computer for ever so I don't really know how this happened. I want to delete a partiton on my hard drive but in Disk Management it shows that the partition I want to delete has got system and is active. On the current partition I use also has Boot, Page File, Crash Dump. I was wondering if I could move the files from my D drive so I can delete it. It would also be good if I could move the system files that I don't need in my C partition to the System Reserved.

:)

Zebedee, Apr 7, 2016

2. Hard drive partitioning gone horribly wrong

Salutations,

I'm a bit at wits end at the moment, just finished a pristine new computer build and I managed to ruin the moment by accidentally activating some hard drive partitions. I'll attempt to recount my exact steps, as I already perused the forums looking for a
    solution and only seemed to make the problem worse.

- problem 1: I have two hard-drives on my system, disk 1) my SSD with the install of windows, and boot drive. disk 2) my fresh WD Blue 1TB drive I pulled from another system I never used, it was however formatted to my last system and I was originally trying
    to get the drive recognizable for to begin porting data.

- Problem 2: I accidentally made both drives ACTIVE, the SSD and HDD, which resulted in my computer not being able to boot.

- Problem 3: In the Command Prompt, with my Windows disk, I set both drives to INACTIVE. My SSD had to partitions, the HDD only had one.

I'm absolutely unsure of how to resolve this issue and salvage both drives and my copy of windows 10. There's no sensitive data on either hard drive at the moment.

Citrine_Giraffe, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Hard drive partitioning gone horribly wrong

My sincerest thanks,

I've managed to complete the clean install, boot, and delete the old partition on the HDD -- my only remaining question, promise, is there any remnant data on the SSD? I had already installed drives, etc. on the SSD before my snafu, and it seems like there's
    less available storage now, just a minutia, but perhaps I'm just misremembering.

I'm hoping that if I reinstall the same programs, it will notice the data and just repair it, rather than redouble the installs.

Regardless, you've helped me immeasurably, I realize I've already thanked you, but again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your immediate response. You're a literal life-saver.

Citrine_Giraffe, Apr 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Your boot files (system partition) should be E:, the 100mb System Reserved Partition. Use EasyBCD to move the boot files to the 100MB system reserved partition:

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Changing The Boot Partition

Once you boot your computer and disk management shows the System Reserved partition as "System" and you are booting OK, then you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard free to delete the D: drive Partition and expand your C: drive to fill the space (or repartition however you want).

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

I know there are Windows command line commands that you could use to establish the BCD on E: drive (system reserved partition), but would not be able to tell you what they are until I was at home later today.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  5. Zebedee Win User
    Thank you, this was just what I needed

Zebedee, Apr 7, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

1. My Partitions Are Horribly Wrong - Similar Threads - Partitions Are Horribly

2. taskbar is horrible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar is horrible: I fight with the taskbar every day. Whoever decided to force the taskbar on the screen should be fired. Every time a window opens in the background, I have to find where it is in order to use anything at the bottom of the screen like printing. Even when I could care less...
  3. EFI partition on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition on wrong drive: I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is on the SSD but as you can see EFI and recovery partitions (there are two for some reason) are on the other drive. I'm not sure if it's always been like that but after dual booting with ubuntu probably had something to do with it. I've...
  4. THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE

in Windows 10 Customization
    THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE: When i tried the windows 10 dark theme, my normal edge icon turned into this monstrosity [ATTACH] It's gone now, but why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-looks-horrible/78639924-b82a-4e93-87ff-0aee08cec56b
  5. Marked the wrong partition as active

in Windows 10 Support
    Marked the wrong partition as active: While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other...
  6. Surface Keyboard Goes horribly wrong.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Keyboard Goes horribly wrong.: So I wipemy keyboard without turing it off and hit multipe keys at the same time and now the keyboard is screwed. When I hit 'K', either '14K' or '14k' followed by a bunch of random things will show up. The 'W' key will lower the brightness of the computer. I tried to...
  7. my computer is horribly slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my computer is horribly slow: Hi, My computer has been extremely slow at wake up (not start) for a while, it takes ages to open a window. In Gmail, I have to work in the basic view, it doesn't work in standard, very inconvenient. It does the updates automatically. Maybe I would need to change a...
  8. Hard drive activation gone horribly wrong

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive activation gone horribly wrong: I accidentally made a secondary hdd (not my mai one) active. the storage of that hdd has now gone down to 244gb and shows no files??? is there any way i can reverse all of this??...
  9. 17 ways the Internet of Things can go horribly wrong

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    17 ways the Internet of Things can go horribly wrong: Just in case you've run out of things to worry about......*sarc Rapid growth in the "Internet of Things" space means two things. First, it means that everything we own will soon be Internet-connected. Second, it means that hackers will soon have access to everything we...
  10. EFI Partitions on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI Partitions on wrong drive: Hi, After removing an SSD (W*Smile from my rig I discovered that my system would no longer boot and gave the error: NTDLL not found. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I put the drive back and was able to boot. Attached is my disk management. I recently installed plugged...