Windows 10: My PC cannot read DVD's or CD's

Discus and support My PC cannot read DVD's or CD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My pc shows all drivers and devices are working well but it cannot read any DVD I have tried all the rescue methods including driver updates and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by saijangili, Jun 6, 2019.

1. My PC cannot read DVD's or CD's

My pc shows all drivers and devices are working well but it cannot read any DVD

I have tried all the rescue methods including driver updates and registry edits

i am using sony vaio PC windows 10. Please help me get out of this issue

:)

saijangili, Jun 6, 2019

2. CD/DVD Player Not Reading CD or DVD Disks

Hi Steve,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below methods to fix issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

1. Press “Windows key + X”.

2. Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

3. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

4. Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.

5. Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall and install the network adapter drivers as below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives.
    • Right click on the driver select Update Driver Software.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Also, see:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Disclaimer: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.

Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow
    the steps to do the same:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type regedit in the run box.
    • Locate and click the key or subkey that you want to back up.
    • Click the File menu, and then click Export.
    • In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the
      File name box.
    • Click Save.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 6, 2019
  3. Read Write Broken CD/DVD Functions.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Suggest you to completely reinstall the cd/dvd driver and check if that helps.

Follow these steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.

• In the list of devices, you should see cd/dvd rom drive.

• Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".

• In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes”
    option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 6, 2019
  4. My PC cannot read DVD's or CD's

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it,
    but the fault persists. I am also running Linux O/S in the same PC, but on a separate hard drive and Linux cannot rear/write DVDs either, which suggests that the fault is either in the drive itself or in BIOS, perhaps. By the way, I rarely use the CD/DVD
    drive. Only to install software and that is no more than a few times a year, so I doubt that the drive is worn.

Finally, I also have an old IDE CD/DVD drive and when I connected it it could not read/write to DVDs, but worked with CDs.

I am running Windows 10 Home V. 1809 O/S build 17763.475

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000

Any help would be much appreciated,

Best regards,

Alex

AlexanderHamilton2, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

My PC cannot read DVD's or CD's

1. My PC cannot read DVD's or CD's - Similar Threads - cannot read DVD's

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. dvd/CD rom not reading

dvd/CD rom not reading: operating system : win 10 64 bit dvd/cd rom drives: matshita dvd-ram uj8b0 device status: This device is working properly i uninstalled all antivirus programs still not reading discs i uninstalled and reinstalled still not reading any DVD OR CD I DID SEARCH FOR...
  6. The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs: Hi, My optical drive has stopped working after installing and uninstalling DAEMON Tools Lite. Previously, everything worked properly. A DVD RW E : drive is visible in Windows Explorer. After inserting the disc into the drive, you can hear the disc spinning and trying to...
  7. My PC plays cd's but will not play dvd's it says that the computer cannot read because of...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC plays cd's but will not play dvd's it says that the computer cannot read because of...: As above, can anyone helo? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-plays-cds-but-will-not-play-dvds-it-says/7a47c038-6971-4014-8a5c-b73751ed39eb
  8. The cd/dvd drive is able to read a mini cd but cannot read regular size dvd/cds

The cd/dvd drive is able to read a mini cd but cannot read regular size dvd/cds: The dvd/cd drive cannot play movies on regular size dvd/cds. It can read a mini cd/dvd. I think I have tried just about everything except uninstall and install the driver info because I don't know how. All the diagnostics said everything is fine. Is there anything else I can...
  9. Can't read CD/DVD

Can't read CD/DVD: Wanted to write some series of the Prison Break to a DVD-R 1x-16 4.7 GB/120min and i did it in my new PC. The disk is created for a laptop wich has a MATHSITA DVD-RAM UJ88D1 reader/writer. I have some other same type of disks with other series from the Prison Break and when I...
  10. cd/dvd not reading/writing

cd/dvd not reading/writing: I have a hp notebook series 2000 laptop and my computer recognizes drive E as the cd/dvd drive and opens tray and says please insert disc. but when a disc is inserted it still tells me to insert disc. I've tried a few different brands and none of them are registering and...