Windows 10: My PC cannot view Chinese characters

Discus and support My PC cannot view Chinese characters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I transferred some of my chinese documents to my PC just now. Some of them are okay, while some of them got their titles all messed up (I'm talking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KingJae, Mar 10, 2016.

1. KingJae Win User

My PC cannot view Chinese characters

I transferred some of my chinese documents to my PC just now. Some of them are okay, while some of them got their titles all messed up (I'm talking about 500+ messed up documents. All of the messed up documents came from the same zip files if that's going to help).

Naturally, I googled and found out that if you change your system locale to China in the Region and Language tabs, you can solve the problem. Unfortunately, not for my case *Sad

I also unhide all the fonts in my Fonts folder (somebody says that'll help), but the problem persists.

I also added Chinese Language to my keyboard to see if it can help, but that also didn't work. So.. anyone any suggestion?

My 500+ files *Sad

:)

KingJae, Mar 10, 2016

2. Chinese Language Support

Hi there, is there anyone know that e71 500.21.009 02-06-2010 firmware can support Chinese character and message? My product
    code is 0567042, what should I do in order to solve my Chinese character on the phone because I cannot read Chinese SMS.

Thank you.

nickchai13, Mar 10, 2016
  3. cricfancy Win User
    E71x contact sync issue

Hi,

1. I am afraid if Nokia PC Suite has got equivalent mapping field of Group contacts of Outlook.

2. If your phone is a chinese variant, then chinese words can be viewed on your phone without any issues but chances are there, those chinese characters may appear as junk characters on your phone if it does not have support for chinese characters My PC cannot view Chinese characters :(

cricfancy, Mar 10, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Not sure if this will help.....................
    Right click at one of the "messed up" Chinese doc > click Encoding > click More > select one of the options boxed in RED.
    There are 2 boxes in red.
    My PC cannot view Chinese characters [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  5. KingJae Win User
    I right-clicked, but there was no 'Encoding' option on the dropdown menu.

KingJae, Mar 10, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sorry, in that case, I have no solution for you.

I apologize.

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  7. KingJae Win User
    Oh no need to apologize. You are too kind *Biggrin

KingJae, Mar 10, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, Simplified Chinese is ok on my English (UK) language PC with no particular action.

You've referred to files from one source. What happens with files from another source?

And can you view the files satisfactorily on another PC?

In what way are the titles 'messed up' - can you post an example?
    Is it only the titles that are affected or the content too?

For interest here's an old post on this sort of topic - only a workaround which shouldn't be necessary.
    Corrupted Chinese Fonts in Windows 8 | xianyou

@davidhk - I think your context menu is that of your browser - not sure how that helps with titles of files not rendered correctly in explorer..?

dalchina, Mar 10, 2016
  9. KingJae Win User
    I just checked all the zip files that I had just transferred. About 5-6 of the zip files have this problem.

I also have the same files on my old laptop (Windows 7) and whilst they do have similar problem at first, they all got solved after I unhide all the fonts and change my region to China.

That didn't work for Windows 10 however *Sad

KingJae, Mar 11, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that's rather more than 5-6 files...
    Nor is it quite the sort of pattern you see if a program isn't unicode compatible, for example.

Perhaps (from your Win 7 laptop) you can post a couple of files as attachments whose title is corrupted in Win 10 as an example - they could be empty, just the titles.

Have you tried the workaround I posted?

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  11. KingJae Win User
    I tried, but it still didn't work.

And the insides are okay, the contents are in perfect chinese. Just the titles, which is pretty frustrating because there are literally hundreds of them that has this problem.

KingJae, Mar 11, 2016
  12. KingJae Win User
    Oh. and my Win 7 laptop is a goner lol. That's why I transferred all those files to my Win 10 on the first place. Lucky I already back those files up in an external hard disc before my Win 7 broke down.

KingJae, Mar 11, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Good preparation... I had a similar situation but not quite as bad in when choosing to buy this laptop. However I also had full disk images so I could transfer all 300+ programs I wanted automatically using the image and a Laplink program.

Ok, so suggest you post an example of a couple of your files that have apparently corrupted titles (irrespective of the apparent title corruption) and one that is not for reference- the contents can be blank or a single line.

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  14. KingJae Win User
    -happy dance-

Girl, I solved all the problems now!!! *cake

One thing that I stupidly forgot to do was changing my system local to chinese simplified (I only changed my region at first). I tried it just now and reboot and yassssss, problems solved!

Thanks for putting up with me! *cry

KingJae, Mar 11, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Glad you got it solved, curious as to why that was necessary.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My PC cannot view Chinese characters - Similar Threads - cannot view Chinese

2. Why are there Chinese characters in these logs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are there Chinese characters in these logs?: Hello again, so recently I was digging in the Microsoft Defender/Antimalware logs, and when going to the Quick logs, they had chinese characters in them, is this normal?...
  3. Chinese characters on calendar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chinese characters on calendar: My calendar settings show 'Do not show additional calendars' but I still have Chinese characters on my icloud calendar. I've tried shutting down and restarting but they are still there. I can't see my entries because they are in Chinese. ....
  4. Strange chinese characters in my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange chinese characters in my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT: So, sometimes I like to check my regedit after uninstall something in case I missed something, and today was not an exception. As I was scrolling trough my regedit I found some peculiar folders that I found weird. After tried to use translator and it actually gave me nothing...
  5. Chinese Characters not Appearing

Chinese Characters not Appearing: Hello when I typed the Pinyin the Chinese characters didn't appear so I can't type please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chinese-characters-not-appearing/5b347d07-d779-4e8a-97c4-db045805f13a
  6. How to display Chinese characters

in Windows 10 Support
    How to display Chinese characters: Found some nice pix of those finger mountains in Zhangjiajie, China, and (since also slowly learning Chinese) would like to _include_ Chinese characters in their file titles, _without_ changing my default UK English input/display language. The Chinese characters display fine,...
  7. Chinese character

Chinese character: Hi, i can using Chinese character anywhere (i.e. browser, excel, words), but can't rename file/folder in Chinese. When i type, only English characters are appeared. [ATTACH][ATTACH] i am using windows 10 professional. pls advise.. Thanks...
  8. Chinese Characters

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chinese Characters: Good day, all - While running MSERT, I notice what appear to be Chinese characters in the strings of letters and numbers. Does this mean my computer has been hacked? If so, how do I remove the hack?...
  9. Chinese character

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Chinese character: to Support group, don't know what happen, when I upgrade the window 10, the Chinese typing is not working .Please tell me what to do. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chinese-character/4a47290e-887d-4045-ae53-a04571eedac0
  10. Chinese characters not displaying correctly

Chinese characters not displaying correctly: We just got a new computer with a fresh Windows 10 installed. When trying to install games from Chinese suppliers, we get the following image: [ATTACH] At first I thought it was a unicode issue but that doesn't seem to be it. Most searches bring me to this link:...