Windows 10: my pc cant open start menu and search menu and my runtime broker is broken how to download it

Discus and support my pc cant open start menu and search menu and my runtime broker is broken how to download it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; my pc cant open start menu and search menu and my runtime broker is broken how to download it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ruchanun, Jun 19, 2021.

1. ruchanun Win User

my pc cant open start menu and search menu and my runtime broker is broken how to download it

my pc cant open start menu and search menu and my runtime broker is broken how to download it

:)

ruchanun, Jun 19, 2021

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Runtime Broker Parameters

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I would like to inform you that Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store. It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to
    use up to a gigabyte of RAM or more.

If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem. If it’s using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC. To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select
    Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer.

• Let us know which all apps are open at the moment when you see the memory high.
    I would suggest you to run the System maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the steps:

a: Press the
    Windows key and click on Settings.

b: Type Troubleshooting
    and select troubleshooting.

c. Click View all on the left pane of the screen.

d: Click on
    System maintenance

e: Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

You may also try setting the priority of the service as low and check. Here is the steps:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC
      or Right click on task bar and select Task manager.
    • Go to Details tab.
    • Locate Runtimebroker.exe and right click on that, click on
      Set priority, choose low from the drop down menu.
    • Click on Change priority.

To make sure your system is not affected, you may also run Windows Defender and check.

You may run Offline defender also. See the link:
    Help protect my PC with Microsoft Defender Offline

Disclaimer: Data or files which are infected by malware/virus might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential for data loss.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more information and we'll be happy to assist.

Have a great day.

Navneet Anand, Jun 19, 2021
  4. Antilope Win User

Runtime Broker Process

Runtime Broker kept thrashing my system, usually using 40% of my CPU although memory use wasn't much, according to the Task Manager. I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro x64 version 10240.

Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.
    Right-click on the Start Menu Icon. Go to RUN and type regedit.exe and select OK.

Find the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000003

Change the 3 to a 4.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000004

4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.

Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.

After this edit, Runtime Broker no longer runs and the CPU at idle is now only 0 to 1 or 2 percent.

No adverse affects after disabling Runtime Broker on my system. (ADDITIONAL NOTE: Disabling Runtime Broker will prevent apps from the Microsoft Store from running.)

Antilope, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

1. my pc cant open start menu and search menu and my runtime broker is broken how to download it - Similar Threads - cant open start

2. My windows menu/search menu/my apps are broken.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My windows menu/search menu/my apps are broken.: When I go to my calculator or calendar or any apps like them, its almost like me left arrow key is "stuck" so when I click on June 29th it starts racing backwards to the 28th, 27th etc. And when I hover over something in my task bar it appears for a second the it's gone. Last...
  3. Broken icons in search of start menu.

Broken icons in search of start menu.: Hi all, I have an issue with the icons in the search of start. They look blank / broken, please see the screen shot. See the Weather app as an example: [ATTACH] This happened to all my machines, desktop and 2 laptops. On all devices I run Windows 10 Pro - 20H2. Do you...
  4. My start menu is "broken"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My start menu is "broken": [ATTACH] Hi I've had this problem recently, when I try to search some applications for example Netflix or calculator the icon doesn't show. My second problem is that I uninstalled Office 2016 to install Office 365, but every time I search for an office app it always show...
  5. Start menu search funtion broken

in Cortana
    Start menu search funtion broken: In the bottom left of the screen, I have enabled the little search button next to the windows icon. clicking this button does nothing. Typing while the start menu is open does nothing. Attempting to disable the button/combine it with the start menu button does nothing....
  6. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  7. Is my start menu broken?

Is my start menu broken?: [ATTACH] Just updated as well, and thought I would finally give the windows 10 start menu a go, and not use classic shell. But I'm unsure whether my start menu is broken, and I should do a clean install. I can drag a tile from the start menu to the desktop, but I can't drag...
  8. Search bars and start menu broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search bars and start menu broken: Search bar in task bar does not accept any input and flickers when clicked, search bars in windows accept input but display only empty pages instead of search results. Right clicking in start menu won't work and I also can't open any cascading menus in the start menu. Had...
  9. Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken

Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken: Edit: Ah for God's sake. It's still on 1809. I didn't realise we need to manually approve feature updates. My previous installation just did it without asking, so I guess that's a Professional thing. I'll bring it up to 1909 and if the problem is still there I'll make a new...
  10. Broken icons start menu search

Broken icons start menu search: [ATTACH] In the last 2 days I found this issue on my windows, not sure how many icons are affected but it looks really awful, it seem to be only on the search part of the start menu and to include most but not all the apps, what can I do to fix it? Thanks...