Windows 10: My pc does not shut down anymore

Discus and support My pc does not shut down anymore in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It only restarts even I click on the shutdown button. Same things happen when I use the alt F4 command.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by randal_wintheiser1, Sep 27, 2022.

1. My pc does not shut down anymore

It only restarts even I click on the shutdown button. Same things happen when I use the alt F4 command.

:)

randal_wintheiser1, Sep 27, 2022

2. laptop won't shut down anymore

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

What happens when you try to shut down? Do you receive any error?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 27, 2022
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Sep 27, 2022
  4. My pc does not shut down anymore

PC does not shut down requires forece shut down

Hello,

We really appreciate your patience. Let me give you few more troubleshooting steps which might apply to your situation and ascertain the cause of the issue.

• Try removing all the external peripheral devices including all usb drives except keyboard, mouse and monitor and check.
    • Try to shut down the computer while forcing the running applications and check the results in the subsequent restart. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      shutdown -s -f and press enter.

If it still does not help, try to view the Event IDs in Event Viewer to check for specific events triggering the issue.

To view activities in Windows, I suggest you to open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.

Please write to us with the results.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 27, 2022
Thema:

My pc does not shut down anymore

1. My pc does not shut down anymore - Similar Threads - does shut down

2. My pc does not shut down anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc does not shut down anymore: It only restarts even I click on the shutdown button. Same things happen when I use the alt F4 command. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-does-not-shut-down-anymore/74ba0024-c819-4685-969b-f44af47c5e26
  3. My pc does not shut down anymore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My pc does not shut down anymore: It only restarts even I click on the shutdown button. Same things happen when I use the alt F4 command. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-does-not-shut-down-anymore/74ba0024-c819-4685-969b-f44af47c5e26
  4. PC does not shut down

PC does not shut down: Almost every day when I go to turn my computer on, I see the power light is on. I wiggle the mouse and the sign on screen appears. Yet every night I very carefully make sure I am selecting shut down on the menu and click it accordingly. I see the monitor go into shut off...
  5. PC is shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC is shutting down: My pc is shutting down many times a day and I go to reliability monitor and it says "hardware error" my problem event name is LiveKernalEvent and the code is 141, The locale ID is 1033. every time i open a video game it takes about 2 minutes then it shuts down, please help....
  6. Pc does not shut down

Pc does not shut down: Since the latest upgrade my PC does not shut down every time. Also my wifi shows it is fine but when I try to use it nothing works. Not edge or emails can connect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-does-not-shut-down/6c732fa3-17ec-4a8a-9430-bd2ded0720f3
  7. my pc not shutting down

my pc not shutting down: when I shutdown my pc the display went off. but the mainboard and other still on and the problem happened when I use Win 7 and 10 . when I used my win xp drive os the pc shutdown correctly im ady reinstall the windows...
  8. My PC does not shut down!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC does not shut down!: My PC does not shut down or restart it hangs with the circle going round until it blue screens with an error of Driver_Power_State_Failure tried to open my dump file but it's all gobbledy gook! how do I attatch the dump file please Pete...
  9. PC does not fully shut down.

PC does not fully shut down.: Hi all, I've got an odd situation that I haven't been able to find a solution. As of a couple of days ago, when I click on my PC to shut down through the start menu, *Windows* will shut down, but my hardware seems to remain active. This does not happen all the time though,...
  10. PC is not shutting down

PC is not shutting down: i have windows 10 and hp elitbook 8460p laptop but when i am clicking on shutdown or hibernate the screen goes black and black forever. until my laptop battery come empty, i also changed windows but now in this windows first some times it shut down, but now it is also not...