Windows 10: My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps

Discus and support My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I got a very odd problem on my computer, it’s on windows 10 and suddenly when I turn it on all the icons of my desktop disappeared and I can’t... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MulberryBlock23, Jan 16, 2023.

1. My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps

Hello,I got a very odd problem on my computer, it’s on windows 10 and suddenly when I turn it on all the icons of my desktop disappeared and I can’t open any apps, not even cmd or the task manager. What do you think is the cause ?Also I did open right before the computer and cleaned off the dust but I won’t see how it is related.Thank you for your help

:)

MulberryBlock23, Jan 16, 2023
  2. Nemosisa Win User

All icon images have disappeared, and can't open app properties

I have tried step 1 and 2- they made no difference.
    Step 3- found corrupt files but unable to repair
    I did the restore health command and got this result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps 60611d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-control-panel.png

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps 60612d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-desktop.png

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps 60613d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-file-explorer.png

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps 60614d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-fileexplorer2.png

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps 60615d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-taskbar.png

Nemosisa, Jan 16, 2023
  3. Tray icon disappears

I've been experiencing since the installation of Windows XP SP2 on multiple machines with the ATITool Tray Icon disappearing upon load at system startup. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Enabling or Disabling the "Hide Inactive (tray) Icons" WinXP menu option doesn't have any effect. The only way to open ATITool after it has loaded is to go through the start menu to open it again. I have "minimize on close" selected in ATITool. When closing ATITool, you see it make the motions of minimizing to the tray area but no icon is displayed. Any ideas?

djshowergel, Jan 16, 2023
  4. Rose Cal Win User

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps

Icons disappeared and theme changed.

Hi Roland,

Corrupted system files may be one of the possible causes why the icons on your desktop disappeared. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried creating a new user profile and check if the problem is in the current profile or also with the new profile?

Meanwhile, I suggest that you follow the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this
    thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Additionally, You can reset the Icon Cache. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • In the Explorer folder, you will see a lot of files with the
      iconcache name. Delete all of them.

Once you have deleted all the iconcache files, a folder names IconCacheToDelete
    will appear. Simply restart your PC and this folder will disappear.

In the event that you are unable to delete some of the files, see the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt. (Win+X > Command Prompt (Admin))
    • Type the following command, and then press Enter:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

If the issue still persists, I recommend you try the suggestion provided by
    kpeW9
    on this thread or the steps shared by
    Guru Khan G on this thread
    to troubleshoot your concern. This will also help you scan for corruption and restore corrupted files/Windows corruptions error.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jan 16, 2023
Thema:

My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps

1. My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps - Similar Threads - icons disappeared can’t

2. My search bar doesn’t show icons and I can’t open apps..

in Windows 10 Customization
    My search bar doesn’t show icons and I can’t open apps..: I click on the search bar, and then go to open an app and it shows an ms news icon and I can’t open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-search-bar-doesnt-show-icons-and-i-cant-open/b11951f6-17f5-4f7a-a95d-cf35a53cf0d3
  3. My search bar doesn’t show icons and I can’t open apps..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My search bar doesn’t show icons and I can’t open apps..: I click on the search bar, and then go to open an app and it shows an ms news icon and I can’t open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-search-bar-doesnt-show-icons-and-i-cant-open/b11951f6-17f5-4f7a-a95d-cf35a53cf0d3
  4. My search bar doesn’t show icons and I can’t open apps..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps: Hello,I got a very odd problem on my computer, it’s on windows 10 and suddenly when I turn it on all the icons of my desktop disappeared and I can’t open any apps, not even cmd or the task manager. What do you think is the cause ?Also I did open right before the computer and...
  6. My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC icons disappeared and I can’t open any apps: Hello,I got a very odd problem on my computer, it’s on windows 10 and suddenly when I turn it on all the icons of my desktop disappeared and I can’t open any apps, not even cmd or the task manager. What do you think is the cause ?Also I did open right before the computer and...
  7. Can’t open any apps!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t open any apps!: Hello, I can’t open a single app on windows 11 apart from file explorer. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-any-apps/7a4e70a8-5d56-41c0-ab3c-737855f89d60
  8. Can’t open any apps!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t open any apps!: Hello, I can’t open a single app on windows 11 apart from file explorer. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-any-apps/7a4e70a8-5d56-41c0-ab3c-737855f89d60
  9. Icons on my task manager have disappeared, and I can’t open the programs that have disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons on my task manager have disappeared, and I can’t open the programs that have disappeared: I have to restart my computer for the icons to appear, but this is really inconvenient and I need it to work without any problems. I have very little knowledge of computers/fixing computer problems. Please what do I do?!? submitted by /u/Thursday_Latte [link] [comments]...
  10. I can’t open any apps on my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can’t open any apps on my pc: Around after thanks giving I dont know the date of the issue but one day i went to get on my pc and i went to open microsoft edge and it opened but never loaded fully i only got the white screen witht the e in the middle. Then I tried chrome and nothing happend at all, I got...