Windows 10: My PC is slow after upgrading to Windows 10

Discus and support My PC is slow after upgrading to Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; In August of last year, I decided that my PC needed a needed format because it had been 5 years since I had installed Windows 7 Ultimate and also it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by anduin95, Feb 28, 2019.

1. anduin95 Win User

My PC is slow after upgrading to Windows 10

In August of last year, I decided that my PC needed a needed format because it had been 5 years since I had installed Windows 7 Ultimate and also it was getting slower and slower. After the format, I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 because I wanted to try it as an OS and also I knew that Windows 7 support was going to end sometime soon. I contacted Microsoft support and was able to carry on my Win7 license to Windows 10.

After the first boot, I really liked the animations and overall elegance of the OS, but my PC has been getting slower and slower ever since. It used to power up in a matter 1 min but after the Win10 install, it takes at least 2 mins. And also my PC has started to lag a lot. It takes ages to open a program, my disc usage is almost always at 100%. I have to wait at least 15 mins after powering up the PC for it to start working normally. There's always that noise inside my rig as if my PC is rendering a video, or doing some other heavy activity, but in fact, only the Chrome is open. While I'm in the middle of a game Windows 10 decides it's a great time to start the update of a program or do something else in the background and stutter and freeze my game. First I thought I might be a victim of PC mining, but it seems like that's not the case.

I have Googled and tried many things suggested by people to no luck. Any tips to speed up my PC will be appreciated.

My rig info:

Time of this report: 3/1/2019, 00:23:56

Machine name: MYHOMEPC

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/21/14 09:37:11 Ver: 14.02 (type: BIOS)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8138MB RAM

Page File: 6121MB used, 6369MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 770

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Problem Code: Unknown

Display Memory: 6076 MB

Dedicated Memory: 2007 MB

Shared Memory: 4069 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

P.S. There's a lot of info in the dxdiag.txt document, but I thought these are the needed ones. If you need something else I might post it as well.

:)

anduin95, Feb 28, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 28, 2019
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

1. My PC is slow after upgrading to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - slow upgrading

2. Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade: My pc is runing slow and crashing after installing a new cpu I went from a i5 8400 to a i7 9700k I have a z730xp sli motherboard and I also updated to bios to f12 for the new cpu. After it did that I switch the cpu back to the i5 and it did the same thing it was doing with...
  3. Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade: My pc is runing slow and crashing after installing a new cpu I went from a i5 8400 to a i7 9700k I have a z730xp sli motherboard and I also updated to bios to f12 for the new cpu. After it did that I switch the cpu back to the i5 and it did the same thing it was doing with...
  4. Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Slowing programs issue after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slowing programs issue after upgrading to windows 10: HiPreviously I have upgraded my windows 7 to 10, While faced many issues on my main programs which I use repeatedly Photoshop, 3Ds Max,etc. Unexpectedly, they came to be very slow in performance and were not be able to perform smoothly as they were on Windows 7.Note: This...
  6. Slowing programs issue after upgrading to windows 10

Slowing programs issue after upgrading to windows 10: HiPreviously I have upgraded my windows 7 to 10, While faced many issues on my main programs which I use repeatedly Photoshop, 3Ds Max,etc. Unexpectedly, they came to be very slow in performance and were not be able to perform smoothly as they were on Windows 7.Note: This...
  7. Slowing programs issue after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. laptop slows down and overheats after ram upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop slows down and overheats after ram upgrade: hello i have the lenovo L340 i5 rh which has 8gb of ram i upgraded it to 16gb now my laptop overheats all games run at insanely low fps the drivers are updatedim running windows 11...
  9. laptop slows down and overheats after ram upgrade

laptop slows down and overheats after ram upgrade: hello i have the lenovo L340 i5 rh which has 8gb of ram i upgraded it to 16gb now my laptop overheats all games run at insanely low fps the drivers are updatedim running windows 11...
  10. Upgrade Lenovo with CODRAM 8GB and KINGSTON SSD 500GB - STILL SLOW TO START UP

Upgrade Lenovo with CODRAM 8GB and KINGSTON SSD 500GB - STILL SLOW TO START UP: Recently, I bought CODRAM 8GB and KINGSTON SSD 500GB to upgrade and make my LENOVO 82DQ AMD RYZEN 5 4500U WITH RADEON GRAPHICS to run faster. It runs perfectly fine with many tabs open but when I want to start my laptop or even restart, it takes longer to open. I tried to...