Windows 10: My PC randomly switches the default audio device so even if I don't change the device in...

Discus and support My PC randomly switches the default audio device so even if I don't change the device in... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have speakers plugged into my pc as well as a bluetooth dongle so I can use my headphones on my PC. Problem is, even though I set the dongle as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jmcman6104, Mar 29, 2021.

1. My PC randomly switches the default audio device so even if I don't change the device in...

I have speakers plugged into my pc as well as a bluetooth dongle so I can use my headphones on my PC. Problem is, even though I set the dongle as the default audio device in the control panel, my PC randomly switches the default audio device to either my speakers or to the headphones I'm using, making me not be able to hear any audio. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

Jmcman6104, Mar 29, 2021
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Switching between bluetooth audio devices.

Thank you for the information.

Try doing the following steps below to switch between your audio devices:

For Windows 10, 1607 version:

• Click on the sound icon in the notification area.
    • Click Select playback device.
    • Select the audio device you want to use from the menu.

For previous versions of Windows:

• Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area.
    • Click Select Playback devices to select your preferred/default speaker.
    • Click on Playback tab to see the list of the devices.
    • Right-click on the preferred device then select Enable.
    • To make the device as your default audio, right-click on the chosen device then select
      Set as Default Device.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Mar 29, 2021
  3. Default Audio device does not switch in Windows 10

Hello Pamela,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the make and model of the laptop you are using?
    • How did you upgrade to Windows 10? Was it through Windows update settings or via Media Creation Tool?
    • Did you install the latest drivers form the audio device installed in your laptop?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter. This is a diagnostic which helps to identify any potential audio related issues present in your PC.

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Playing Audio
    option from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Note: Also perform the Hardware and Device troubleshooter from the
    view all list.

Now, follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to try setting the speakers as default and check if the issue persists.

a. Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices".

b. Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

c. Right click on Headphone and then click "Enable".

d. Highlight the speaker and then choose "Set as Default Device".

e. Click Apply and Ok.

Method 2

Next, check if updating/rolling back the audio device driver helps to resolve the issue. Follow the below steps.

• First of all, Press Windows logo + R from keyboard. It will open
      RUN.
    • Now type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
    • You will see all the driver list of your PC. Expand Sound, video and game controller. Locate the listed sound driver for your PC.

Update driver

Double click on your audio device driver in Device Manager. Then Click on
    Driver tab and select Update.

Reference: Update drivers in Windows 10

Rollback driver

Double click on your audio device driver in Device Manager. Then Click on
    Driver tab and select Rollback.

Important: If your drive is performing well and there is no error, Rollback driver button will be grayed out as an option.

If the issue persists I would suggest you to try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound drivers.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to sound device settings, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 29, 2021
  4. My PC randomly switches the default audio device so even if I don't change the device in...

Auto switch in audio device not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the inconvenience you are facing with the audio output.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Please provide us the screenshot of the window where you are switching the audio devices. Please follow the steps mentioned in the

screenshot
    posted by Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile we would like you to uninstall the sound/audio driver from the device manager and re-install it the PC manufacturer website.

1. Press Windows + X and click on Device Manage.
    2. Expand or double-click Audio Inputs and Outputs.
    3. Right-click on the listed driver, and then select
      Uninstall
      device
    4. Select Delete the driver software for this device, and then click Uninstall.
    5. Follow the onscreen steps and restart the PC.
    6. Upon restart, install the Audio drivers from computer manufacturer website.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

My PC randomly switches the default audio device so even if I don't change the device in...

1. My PC randomly switches the default audio device so even if I don't change the device in... - Similar Threads - randomly switches default

2. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select an audio device as the default audio device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to...
  3. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select a device as the default device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to reset my...
  4. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select a device as the default device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to reset my...
  5. I can't switch my audio device.

I can't switch my audio device.: When i connect my headphones my computer thinks its still speakers so the sound switches to my headphones but i cant change it back to the actual speakers without unplugging my headphones....
  6. Programs not switching audio devices when I switch the audio device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not switching audio devices when I switch the audio device: My Setup: Dual monitors with integrated speakers and a headset I plug/unplug frequently. Issue: On my desktop computer, when I open a program with sound, the sound loads into the audio device that is currently being used, but when I switch the playback device (either to the...
  7. Default Audio devices keeps changing

Default Audio devices keeps changing: I own a Razer Kraken 7.1 v2, and since i own a new pc sometimes the default audio device changes from my headphones to another (I don't know which because i don't have enough time to see which device it is) for around 0.5-2 seconds. It can be annoying when im watching a movie...
  8. Windows Switches Default Audio Device at Boot Up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Switches Default Audio Device at Boot Up: Every time I start my PC it will randomly select my monitor to be the default device. I've tried to disable it but that doesn't hold true the next time I go to restart/boot up my PC and it will sometimes make my monitor the default. Is their anyway around this or a way to...
  9. Default Audio Devices keep changing

Default Audio Devices keep changing: Hello! I have desktop soeakers plugged into the line out jack on my pc. I am also using a usb headset. I set my desktop speakers as my default device but everytime I power down or restart windows makes my headset the default. I have tried disabling the headset as well as...
  10. Audio Device Switching

Audio Device Switching: This is a problem I haven't found by searching, although the search terms are a bit tricky for this issue. Since upgrading from Windows 7, I have not been able to find an easy way to switch between audio devices easily on Windows 10. What I'm trying to do is switch between my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audio device keeps switching windows

2. Audio keeps switching from headphones to speakers Windows 10