Windows 10: My PC responds slow when HDD is actively used by background processes. Is that normal?

Discus and support My PC responds slow when HDD is actively used by background processes. Is that normal? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I have used Windows 7 on my previous laptop and have never noticed such change is response speed. On my new laptop (running Windows 10) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Murad Ahmadzada, Dec 25, 2018.

1. My PC responds slow when HDD is actively used by background processes. Is that normal?

Hello!

I have used Windows 7 on my previous laptop and have never noticed such change is response speed. On my new laptop (running Windows 10) I experience low response speed when HDD is actively used, especially when a Windows update is downloading in background. Or when copying large amount of data to external storage. Mouse moves without delay, but folders and programs open long after clicking on them. Also PC goes to sleep or locks with delay when update is downloading in background. Is that normal?

Normally (most of the time, when HDD usage is less than 10-20%) PC responds rather good, without delays. My specs are Intel Core i5 (8th gen.), 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

:)

Murad Ahmadzada, Dec 25, 2018
  2. Davidk03 Win User

Program running a background process?

I'm running Corel Video Studio 2018, and it's updates function shows characteristics of a background process:

- the program has an auto check daily plus a manual option for updates

- manually checked, presented with an option of downloading an update and Ok'd, evidence of any activity vanishes from the program workspace, yet the connected internet modem activity light begins running hot as the download happens

- it's repeatable over several up-date cycles

The evidence seems to suggest a background activity - whilst the program/PC is free to use for other things. Several software packages do this.

However, a check in task manager/processes, show all, does not display any info of a related background process for any Corel or Video Studio program. If a background process is being used by the software, MUST it be listed in the task manager/processes
    list?

Platform is windows 7 home sp1 64bit plus the important patches.

Davidk03, Dec 25, 2018
  3. John Vil Win User
    PC slow and not responding

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you to run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter to check and see why your PC is running slow and unresponsive. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting. If you cant find the option, click View By and select Large Icons.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

You may also check on the article below for tips on how to improve your Windows 10 PC.

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

John Vil, Dec 25, 2018
  4. My PC responds slow when HDD is actively used by background processes. Is that normal?

Background Processes/Windows Processes Nonsense

Hi,

The Windows processes are the programs and system processes that are necessarily needed so that the operating system could run and function properly. The Background processes, on the other hand, are the programs that are needed by the applications installed
    on the computer. Having many Windows processes and Background processes is normal. As we write this reply, we have 54 Background processes and 78 Windows processes.

If you would want to end a process in task manager, just click on the process and then click on End task button.

If your computer is running slow, you can use this link as a guide on how to improve PC performance.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

My PC responds slow when HDD is actively used by background processes. Is that normal?

1. My PC responds slow when HDD is actively used by background processes. Is that normal? - Similar Threads - responds slow HDD

2. background processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    background processes: what does that mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-processes/4f607cd7-afbd-4fe9-bccf-b58e7979732d
  3. Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?: Hi all -So I recently got a new computer. My old computer had 8GB RAM and a worse processor. This one has 32GB RAM and a much better processor.When I started it up, I noticed that background processes were taking more RAM than they did on my old computer. For example, on task...
  4. Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?: Hi all -So I recently got a new computer. My old computer had 8GB RAM and a worse processor. This one has 32GB RAM and a much better processor.When I started it up, I noticed that background processes were taking more RAM than they did on my old computer. For example, on task...
  5. Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Background Processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background Processes: My download speeds are slow. I read some stuff and it says that it could be because of background processes. I currently have 115 background processes and it seems like a bit much from what I see others have. I dont know what to end or how to lower the number. Any answers...
  7. Wondering if my HDD is normal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wondering if my HDD is normal: This might be a dumb question but I am wondering if my D drive the HDD on my new computer is normal or not. Its been a while since I've used a computer with an SSD and an HDD so im not so sure on how its supposed to look like, right now my C drive, the SSD, has the regular...
  8. win10 copy slow when use HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win10 copy slow when use HDD: 4~5G301~2GB/s,100MB/s,Linux250MB/s When I copy a lot of large files each file is 4~5G, a total of 30 files, the speed at the beginning is very fast 1~2GB/s, then it will drop to 100MB/s, but the HDD under Linux of 250MB/s can always be maintained of 250MB/s, it makes the...
  9. Why is my HDD slowing down my PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is my HDD slowing down my PC?: OK, so I've got a Toshiba 1TB HDD, but my old HDD (WD Caviar Blue 250GB SATAIII) slows down my pc everytime I plug it in. I plug in the SATA, the SATA Power, but when I try to open it anywhere, Windows Explorer crashes, Diskpart is not listing the disks, and Windows...
  10. Internet Explorer background process normal in Windows 10?

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer background process normal in Windows 10?: Hi, slight fork of a thread in the anti virus forums below. After loading up Windows 10 (x64 Home), after about 8 minutes I am seeing a background internet explorer process iexplore.exe launch, which then launches up to 200 connections to various ips, some look like possible...