Windows 10: My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not

Discus and support My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So i was playing gta v and before long while i started playing since i have wasd as my keybinds when im pressing w it closes gta and brings up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jared Ohse, Jul 22, 2021.

1. My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not

So i was playing gta v and before long while i started playing since i have wasd as my keybinds when im pressing w it closes gta and brings up whiteboard, i tested this by pressing r and s, which opened run and search respectively, this is not a problem i’ve only seen with my current pc, my old desktop with a different keyboard and everything ran into the same problems also should i mention my keyboard has a windows key on the left and right sideSpecs: Processor: Amd ryzen 5 3500 6-core processor 3.59GHzRam: 16GbSystem type: X64 operating system and processor

:)

Jared Ohse, Jul 22, 2021

2. Control key held down

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

Before we proceed, please answer the following questions to help you better.

• Does this issue occur only while using the Microsoft Office Suite?
    • What is the exact error message that you get?

Check if the Sticky Keys and Toggle keys are turned on. If yes, I suggest you to turn it off. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + I and click on Ease of Access.
    • Click on Keyboard tab.
    • Turn off Sticky Keys and Toggle keys.
    • Check if the issue persist.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jul 22, 2021
  3. A required privilege is not held by the client // help please

My problem: A required privilege is not held by the client shows up when I try to run any executable file. I am the only administrator on all household PC's. I have at least five Windows 10 PC's in the household.

For a couple of months I had my problem on only one desktop PC (v1909) which I have dealt with by using Safe Mode when I absolutely had to do so. As of today I can add one laptop (v2004) to my list with this problem. I read the one post that I could find and I tried the suggestion today on both of the problem PC's to no avail. (Tweaking.com's cautious repair tool, observing the cautious steps, and apply only the relevant fixes for permissions.) I have at least one other PC with v2004 and no privilege problem and at least one other PC with v1909 and no privilege problem.

Previously I had tried these six methods:
    1. Run the Program as Administrator
    2. Use Command Prompt to run the file
    3. Disable The Admin Approval Mode
    4. Disable UAC using Registry Editor
    5. Change Sharing Permission
    6. Take ownership of the Root Drive

Thank you for any new suggestions or known fixes . . . .

yrralrellim, Jul 22, 2021
  4. My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not

Unidentified key held down

I know my issue is a little bit hard to explain, so I recorded it on video, and the link is at the end.

My computer behaves as if I have a key held down. When I hover with my mouse over the taskbar, over open files on windows 10 I am supposed to see a small preview, right? But it doesn't show the preview unless I move my mouse around, and then its sort of blinking. Also, when I play different games, they behave as if I pressed the wrong button.

So I wanted to know at first which button is held down on my keyboard, so I went into this Javascript Key Event Test Script: Javascript Key Event Tester

The tester should, in theory, show key events, and it shows that an unidentified button is held down.

In firefox, it shows this:

My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not rEShN.png

In Microsoft Edge it shows this:

My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not gOr7A.png

Even if I disconnect my keyboard, it still insists I'm holding down this "unidentified button".

Restarting didn't help.

• I tried uninstalling the keyboard driver.
    • I even tried to recover old version, and hard-resetting the computer back to the manufacturer settings, the problem is still there.

I don't know if it is related in any way (I think it isn't) I'm using an all-in-one PC, it has a touch screen. I already disabled the touch screen and the problem is still there. There no other hardware other than my mouse (and the problem is still there if I disconnect my mouse, too).

English is not my main language, and I'm not very good at computers, I am sorry in advance.

I tried to record the issue, so here's the video:

Natty Zepko, Jul 22, 2021
Thema:

My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not

1. My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not - Similar Threads - thinks key being

2. Windows thinks PgDn is being held down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows thinks PgDn is being held down: This problem ONLY happens on Windows windows and not on any other programs. I also cannot type into the search bar in the start menu. I've tried: Disconnecting keyboard Restarting with the keyboard disconnected Connecting a different keyboard Pressing the key repeatedly...
  3. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down: On certain MS applications such as mail or settings, I have an issue that is kind of hard to explain. Some examples are not being able to press the sleep button from the windows menu - it flashes grey as if it is being selected repeatedly by pressing the tab key. Another...
  4. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down: On certain MS applications such as mail or settings, I have an issue that is kind of hard to explain. Some examples are not being able to press the sleep button from the windows menu - it flashes grey as if it is being selected repeatedly by pressing the tab key. Another...
  5. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Keys being held down not physically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keys being held down not physically: This problem started last week, around when I got a new corded keyboard for my laptop. When I hold down a key, then let go, the computer continues to act like the key is pressed, until I press it again. it is not pressed physically It doesn't happen every time but it does...
  7. Arrow key being held down?

Arrow key being held down?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Mordred0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hsrrvl/arrow_key_being_held_down/
  8. Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not: Once in a while, usually when I'm gaming, I will be pressing a key say, "w" and either: 1 My keyboard no longer realizes I'm holding the key, or 2 I stop pressing the key, but my keyboard thinks I'm still pressing it. This is annoying when playing games especially,...
  9. Windows 10 thinks a key is being held down, even with the keyboard held down

Windows 10 thinks a key is being held down, even with the keyboard held down: Windows (1903) now thinks that a key is being held down, even when there's no keyboard connected. At first it was the "k" key, and now the "s" key. This has rendered this PC pretty much unusable, and reformatting isn't an option as this is my gaming PC with a crap ton of...
  10. Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down: Hi there, I'm having an issue where every now and then when I press a key, if it is not interrupted with another key press the last key will continue on a though pressed. For instance, ending this sentence with a period and having this occur would look like...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows key held down

2. my keyboard is acting like im holding down the windows button