Windows 10: My PC Win10 won't post up and gives no beeps -how to find the culprit

Discus and support My PC Win10 won't post up and gives no beeps -how to find the culprit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC Win 10 won't post up and gives no beeps. Simply pressing the power button shuts the power off instantly, I don't have to hold it for seven... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rollo, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Rollo Win User

My PC Win10 won't post up and gives no beeps -how to find the culprit

My PC Win 10 won't post up and gives no beeps. Simply pressing the power button shuts the power off instantly, I don't have to hold it for seven seconds.
    Recent changes include replacing one Logitech trackball with another trackball a month ago. But about a week or two ago strange things started to happen to a variety of programs and on my desktop icons. In some programs I would see a window which said zoom and the focus would zoom out to 300 to 600%. The icons on my desktop would blow up to what seemed like 50 times the normal size of the 60 icons on my desktop, overlapping each other and a total mess.
    I found out that if I right clicked on the desktop I could set the icons back to "small" and the icons would resume their normal size.
    For a week I substituted a generic mouse for the trackball, and a generic keyboard for the fancy Microsoft keyboard (which I used for two years without issue) with all the special buttons on it. The problem seemed to go away
    A few days ago I put them both back. Then, just today the zooming thing on all kinds of different programs started happening again.
    So I decided to only swap keyboards in order begin to isolate whether it was the motherboard, the video chip on the motherboard, the Microsoft keyboard, or the trackball mouse.
    So I turned off the computer and plugged in the generic keyboard and after that is when the computer failed to post up or boot with just a black screen on the monitor.
    Local computer shop fellow mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that it couldn't be video chip because the taskbar was not blowing up and zooming out but only programs.
    I guess my question is: could it merely be the video chip and if I pop in a video card will this possibly fix the problem and account for the no postup?’
    UPDATE: I removed the hard drive and mounted it in an external enclosure on my laptop. In Windows disk management, it shows the hard drive without letters, without the four partitions but calls it "healthy".
    I installed data recovery software and a quick scan revealed the individual files are intact, as I opened a couple of word documents.
    Is it possible that the hard drive didn't actually fail but just that it's partitions got lost and I can use some type of partition recovery software to find the old partitions locations restore them and restore my operating system, my apps, and my data partition?
    So my question is this: did the hard drive fail or did the motherboard fail or did the motherboard failing wipe out the hard drive, or did an attached device like a mouse or keyboard fail and wipe you girl both of them out?
    I just happen to purchase a new hard drive about two weeks ago having a feeling that my PVR hard drive might fail soon and anyway it would be a good backup in case my PCs hard drive failed, even though I thought that unlikely as the computer is only two years old.
    I have at least two Acronis backup images of the system partition and the apps partition and I have in the past laid them into a new hard drive and then just had to sort out what I guess you call the HAL level. I am prepared to do that if necessary but I'm confused on which way to turn at the moment.
    Data recovery software should enable me to recover all my data at least in a unnamed way (is that called RAW form? ) Which is a pain in the ass because hundreds of word documents, audio files and pictures would have to be opened and then renamed).
    But I don't know how to figure out what failed. Do I install the new HD into the case format it do all the restoration work and then find out that IT gets fried by some devise or the MB...
    Thanks for considering my problem,

:)

Rollo, Aug 15, 2016

2. What can i do to find the culprit why my pc freezes on boot?

Hi,

Having multiple programs running as a background process could be a possible cause why your PC freezes during the boot process. To address this concern, we suggest performing a clean boot. This
    link provides further information about how to perform a clean boot in Windows. If the problem does not occur while your computer is
    in clean boot mode, a background program is likely causing interference. You can try to determine which background program is causing the problem while the computer is in clean boot mode.

Start by turning off all drivers, third-party programs or services, and startup items that load with Windows. If you'll not experience the issue, turn back on half of these services to try to isolate the interfering service. If the issue is not resolved
    at this point, you will repeat this process until you have isolated the interfering service. Finally, if you are able to determine which specific program or service is causing the issue, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether there is a solution.
    You can also disable the program or service to address the issue.

With regard to the blue screen issue you are experiencing, this link will help you troubleshoot blue
    screen errors in Windows 10.

Keep us updated about the result.

Darleen Pen, Aug 15, 2016
  3. What can i do to find the culprit why my pc freezes on boot?

So, all the problems started after the last 2 big updates. I normally could even put my pc to sleep, but then it started freezing on wakeup, then now even a normal boot freezes up.. (only happens after i have slept for the night, an instant reboot doesn't
    trigger it) But boots normally on a pc reset which i have to do every morning.

So all the tips i get will have to go over days of testing.

What i have done till now:

Disabled fast startup in normal windows settings which i will try and see if it works tomorrow.

All drivers are up to date and windows is unfortunately fully updated.

Also getting "CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT" bluescreen every time i use DDU to properly remove gpu drivers if they are borked or replacing gpu.

32GB ram

GTX 1080

Windows 10 home 64bit

Windows is on a ssd

5 other hdd's + 1 other ssd

USB devices connected:

Audio technica AT2020 usb mic

HTC vive

120GB kingston HyperX 128GB memory stock

T-flash micro sd usb adapter

Kingston flash drive adapter hub

Corsair K70 LUX keyboard which then has my logitech C615 webcam attached (Keyboard more recent than the problems)

Asus PG278Q usb hub cable

Logitech G9X mouse

Duckers_McQuack, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

It's a loooong post *Smile but it doesn't really help diagnose anything unfortunately.

Some of M$ fancy new keyboards have Zoom sliders built into them , perhaps you bumped it or the Keyboard software was acting up? however I don't see that causing the Hard-drive to fail.

Install Minitool Partition Wizard 9 (free see below) on your laptop and have a look at the "failed" HD and post some pics of what it shows. ( use Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories to make screen pics) . If all the Partitions are gone or it is seen as RAW then you may have a drive failure , however that in itself should not stop the computer from Posting at least.

If the computer won't post , it is more likely you have a motherboard/cpu or power-supply failure , possibly a power surge fried something, eg if the PS failed it may have fried other components on it's way out.

MiniTool Free Partition Manager for Window 8/7/vista/xp | Partition Wizard Free Edition

Kbird, Aug 15, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    You might have a faulty PSU or something is overloading the PSU causing it to shut off. Disconnect everything from the PSU and try the paperclip test to ensure the PSU turns on - see How to Check a Power Supply

If the PSU doesn't turn on and show the correct voltages then you need a new PSU.

Then reconnect devices one by one and check the PSU supply is stable. I would suspect high power consumption devices like the motherboard or GPU first. Worst luck would be to have a motherboard which takes too much current causing the PSU to shut off *Sad

Steve C, Aug 15, 2016
  6. 1. Disconnect everything from the computer .. Keyboard mouse, Printer ext hdd usb drives. Now power On only with monitor connected and if it completes the post.. Try to find the culprit by connecting all the devices one by one.
    2. Disconnected power cable and press and hold power button for 30 sec and try to power on..
    If above method fails.. Try to re seat Memory cartridges(ram).

manish9009, Aug 15, 2016
  7. Rollo Win User
    Yes the keyboard does have a zoom slider even tho I never used it. And I now understand the method of checking the power unit within voltmeter and will get on it today. Thanks for your feedback,

Rollo, Aug 16, 2016
  8. Rollo Win User

Kbird. I forgot to say that the Minitool Partition Wizard couldn't recover the partitions after quick and a complete scans. It looks like I'll be able to recover all my files but will take a month or so to rename and refile them all.
    Thanks

Rollo, Aug 16, 2016
  9. Rollo Win User
    Manish, OK sounds like a good procedure to follow. Does your point #2 only apply to laptops? I can't understand how that would work on my desktop.
    Thanks for your time,

Rollo, Aug 16, 2016
  10. Rollo Win User
    One more question- if the partitions are lost but I can recover all my files from it what does that say about the health of the HD? Windows Disk Manager says it is 'Healthy', do you think it has sustained any physical damage if I am able to reformat it?

Rollo, Aug 16, 2016
  11. Rollo Win User
    OK, I finally figured out how to do a voltage test on the PSU and the results are:
    +12v 12.14
    5v 5.15
    3v 3.14
    -12v 11.05

I guess that means the MB is toast if it is getting power from all levels but doesn't post up. Is that a correct assumption at this point? MY suspicion is that it is the Keyboard zoom slider which shorted everything out. I will not use it again unless I can open it up and disconnect the slider circuit down the road in my spare time (unlikely!).

Rollo, Aug 16, 2016
  12. Rollo Win User
    As I said to Steve C "OK, I finally figured out how to do a voltage test on the PSU and the results are:
    +12v 12.14
    5v 5.15
    3v 3.14
    -12v 11.05

I guess that means the MB is toast if it is getting power from all levels but doesn't post up. Is that a correct assumption at this point? MY suspicion is that it is the Keyboard zoom slider which shorted everything out. I will not use it again unless I can open it up and disconnect the slider circuit down the road in my spare time (unlikely!).

Rollo, Aug 16, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

I think it is just a coincidence , as I don't see how the keyboard slider would cause the MB to Fail , it may have caused the initial "zooming issue" but not the MB or possibly CPU failure.

So at power up does anything happen? fans spin? LEDS light? or nothing at all ? nothing at all would lead me to think it is the MB and the PS shuts off immediately to protect itself from OV (overvoltage)

Were you overclocking or anything? had a big thunderstorm just before this happened? (lighting strike/surge)

The surge has likely damaged the MBR area of the HD which is why the Partitions are missing.

so i guess you have no system images or Data backups to an external ?

KB.

PS No#2. is so you discharge the onboard capacitors before moving or playing with components like RamChips or VideoCards. usually 5-10 secs is long enough.

Kbird, Aug 16, 2016
  14. It does work for Desktops as well. The remaining static charge can cause any electronic device not to complete post or power on.
    You wont loose any data here.. as in most cases NOPOST issues are related to Motherboard, ram or Graphic card.

manish9009, Aug 16, 2016
  15. #KBIRD
    Yes a faulty Keyboard or Mouse can cause Motherboard not to complete post.. .AS this devices are connected directly on MotherBoard I have scene tons of similar cases in my repair shop.

manish9009, Aug 16, 2016
Thema:

1. My PC Win10 won't post up and gives no beeps -how to find the culprit - Similar Threads - Win10 won't post

2. How to find my previous posts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find my previous posts: I need to find my previous posts as I am going to reinstall Windows 10 and one of my replies told me how to do it, but I can't find it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-my-previous-posts/cb8970d0-b33d-4be8-893f-8ec8062091e0
  3. How to find my previous posts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find my previous posts: I need to find my previous posts as I am going to reinstall Windows 10 and one of my replies told me how to do it, but I can't find it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-my-previous-posts/cb8970d0-b33d-4be8-893f-8ec8062091e0
  4. How to find my previous posts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My pc won't post

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc won't post: My pc won't turn on but my cpu and gpu fans are spinning with no signal on monitor Things i tried1- reset cmos battery 2- cleaning and reseat ram3- cleaning and reseat gpuhttps://youtube.com/shorts/FDJLd8P0rJw?feature=share...
  6. My pc won't post

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc won't post: My pc won't turn on but my cpu and gpu fans are spinning with no signal on monitor Things i tried1- reset cmos battery 2- cleaning and reseat ram3- cleaning and reseat gpuhttps://youtube.com/shorts/FDJLd8P0rJw?feature=share...
  7. My pc won't post

8. No post and beep sound

No post and beep sound: So I have a asus motherboard and zotac GeForce graphic card so here is my problem. When I started my pc it's booted all fine and my Home screen came after that there is a beep code like 1 long and 3 short after that I searched for What that means so I find that is no vga...
  9. My PC will not post and will just make a beeping sound

My PC will not post and will just make a beeping sound: So I have an HP Omen 25L, and every time I plug it in it just starts to beep, I do not know the reason to this... It’s like it’s going to blow up. I am running windows 10 21H1...
  10. Giving up on WIN10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Giving up on WIN10 Home: Last fall I started college in CS and am doing well with the exception of struggling with my WIN10 laptop. I finally uninstalled AVS as I have it on my win 7 machine and never had a problem. Come to find out on a latest update (in WIN10 Home you are forced to updates because...